It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Cymbolta Weight Gain, Switched to Wellbutrin

I was on Cymbolta, Flexeril & a Anti-Inflammatory & turns out they could all be the cause of my weight gain. My Primary Dr switched me to Wellbutrin. Anyone else used this? I'm stopping the Flexeril & going to use Melatonin for sleep...My Dr said I should start losing weight... I hope she's right!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User
Re: Cymbolta Weight Gain, Switched to Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin does cause weight loss initially...It definitely does not cause you to gain weight. You may feel a bit wonky the first week. But it has been a lifesaver for me..Good luck sweetie and keep posting..I have been on wellbutrin for about 7 years now. That and lexapro..Been good for me...xoxo
Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Yay! Thank You
Does it help with pain? I was ready to just go off it all together but... I remember the pain from when I went off Nuerontin... ick... What is lexapro?
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Lexapro is another SSRI. I have always used it in conjunction with the wellbutrin. But I have been on it since my psycho ex was bashing me around so it was originally prescribed for me for depression. I went through a lot getting myself and my daughters away from him. I love the two drugs. I am not sure what, if anything, they do for pain. I know when I go off of them I am totally off the wall with anxiety and sick..So if they work for me, and I get them for free because I am out of work right now, I will continue..I have never noticed weight gain from either. If anything weight loss..Especially in the beginning..I take 150 mg of the wellbutrin in two doses and 20mg of lexapro in one dose. The only other meds I take are prilosec for reflux and a hiatal hernia, atenolol for blood pressure. The rest are supplements. Magnesium, potassium, adrenal rebuilder, prenatal vitamin(only for the reason I have colitis and need extra)B12, D3...My pill case is ridiculous. Also the percocets and neurontin for the fibro..Steer clear of amitryptilline(Elavil). It is a very old trycyclic antidepressant which is used as a sleep aid. Causes weight gain. The doctors rarely tell you of the side effects such as weight gain or loss. They are more concerned with life threatening side effects. Good luck and let me know how you are doing on the wellbutrin..love ya girlie!
peace and love
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
thefarm (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You for the info! I'm so excited to try it!
My ex mother in law takes Wellbutrin & loves it. Ya know, she's had Fibro since I met her in 98. We used to be really close but after the divorce I had allot of problems with my ex. She of course backed him up. Then one day called apologizing to me. They had a falling out & she hadn't seen the kids in 3 months. So, since 2004, the only way she's been able to see the kids is through me. But, her & her son get along then quit talking. I'm not comfortable enough to talk to her about this, so I don't.
I'm Sorry you had to go through that with your ex... I could only imagine... Mine was all mental, allot of harassing then used the court system. He's very possessive & controlling. Unfortunately, he has played the system like a fittle. $19000 in attorney fees (for me) & now 8 yrs later, I still have the kids. But, He claims them on taxes & I have to do all the transporting, 65 miles round trip. This includes for him to have a 2 hr meal with him every wednesday...
My ex made accusations bringing me to court about 3 times a month. Each time I had to file proof & have others back me up including Dr's, teachers, ect. It was a game for him. He even offered me $17000 if I gave him the kids.
Anyhow, I wonder if it was the constant stress from that they may have contributed to the Fibro now...
Have you broken out? I found that they break me out... It's to bad because I love those!
I'm so excited to start just the Wellbutrin, Melatonin for sleep & vitamins... I'm still going to continue with Tromadol though... Do you know if that causes weight gain? I'm figuring it does but I try not to take it all the time... But I do take it more these days...
I've been telling a friend I'd help her pack for 3 weeks... I have felt awful... But made myself get out there yesterday & I did as much as I could for 4 hours... I know I will pay... I took Tramadol before we started... Mostly sore now but not that bad yet... But I've been the only friend to help her. I hope to get back out there soon. It's tough though because there is always so much to do here & can't seem to get it done...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tori, I have not had tramadol cause any weight gain for me and I took that for a couple years. I ordered a bunch while I was working and I now have like 4 full bottles of 500 count each..I only use it if I run out of percs. I use it on the dog if her arthritis gets bad but will never go through it all. I would gladly give it away but not sure it is something that can be shipped. lol...the only med I noticed weight gain was the elavil..Good luck and glad I could be of some help.
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My husband sprained his neck at work & got Percs. He has had me try it. It seems to work the same for me as 2 Tramadol but doesn't take as long. So when I had a headache coming on the other day I took the Perc. If I had waited for the Tramadol to kick in I'd have the migraine like headche by then... But my Dr won't give me anything else...
I am so stiff today... My hands wont move fast enough...
Anyhow, I seen my Primary 3 times now total. I found out yesterday that she used to work in the Fibromyalgia Clinic at OSHU! I'm thrilled to hear that! I love my Rhumetologist but he doesn't listen very well... So it was great seeing my Primary yesterday & have her listen & go over the meds. She's the one that diagnosed me with CFS & sent me to the Rhumetologist. She's now going to refer me to a Neurologist to be tested for ms.
My 14 yr old Lab mix has had Arthritis since he was 7. I used to give him Asprin for it. But he's had severe allergies all his life & been on Steroids since he was 11. We thought it would cause him more probs & shorten his life... I never thought he'd live to be 12 & here he is turning 15 in may! Anyhow, the Steroids help his hips allot. The thing is I know that eventually he'll go down hill fast... He is def & has cataract but still gets around good & still full of life. Anyhow, I was wondering the dosage... He's only about 55 pounds these days... But I like the idea of when the time comes, he can take something to make him feel better... He's my baby... I moved out when I was 15 & got him just after I turned 16. He's been through everything with me.
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow a lab mix that old!! You are blessed girl!! I give my girl one 50mg tab when her pain is acting up bad. I have rimadyl here but she will sometimes refuse to take it. She had cruciate and meniscus repair surgery in October last and has arthritis in that one knee..but so far she is doing great..I am not sure what the dose would be on your dog, but you can research it online. I am sure at least half..Less is more with animals anyway..tender tummies...xoxo
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You
He's beautiful, White Lab because he is Lab Samoyed mix.
He had a huge tumor removed from his leg then a yr later one from his eye lid... I said I wouldn't have any more removed because it was so hard on him... Then he had to have 10 teeth pulled... The poor guys health has never been good... But he's tough He'll tell me when he's had enough. When he passes it's going to be tough. I just can't imagine life without him... But I guess we have to appreciate all the time we have together...
He's allergic to corn, wheat, fleas then allergic to sooo much outside I can't even pin point it... Luckily we have a great vet these days! He eats Canidea which he has done really well on.
What breed is your girl?
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

My big dog is a yellow lab. Turned 7 last December. She is of Canadian show stock so she is one of the stocky chunky labs with the big square head. She is the best dog ever..I also have a yorkie who is almost 5, she is MY baby...but she is definitely a terrier..and a good mouser..lolol

Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

They are wonderful ages! Out of the puppy years yet not old yet
I love Yorkies! I would love to have one some day... When the kids are all much older, especially the baby.
A friend of mine had a Yellow Lab, she was so sweet! She had a kiddie pool for her & she loved to play in it. I would have taken her but at the time I was doing Canine Rescue & had my hands full lol You know the best dogs I have ever met were rescues! It's like they knew how lucky they were to have another chance & appreciated it. Many of them were very matted, dirty, thin, ect.
LOL, I guess we're both dog lovers!
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dogs are great. Cats too. Most of my cats are the cast offs, feral rescues, unwanted. I'm a vet tech so I find it tough to turn down a needy animal. I have a houseful. Labs are incredibly sweet. If one of the cats are at the water fountain Molly just sits and waits til they're done. I would definitely wait til the baby has grown a bit before a yorkie. They're a great dog, and I love mine, but she doesn't like anyone she doesn't know. And she is super protective of me. I love dogs, but hey, you raise birds and I love birds!!! I'm glad the days of puppydom are gone, that's work. Next dog I get is going to be an adult rescue, preferably older as the older ones usually get passed by..

Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL Funny you say that about strays... We took in a mama kitty & her 5 babies a few yrs ago. The family across the street abandoned them... I knew a neighbor was feeding them. Then after a month I had enough & we took them. That was the first time I seen them. They were infested with fleas, worms... The mom gave her babies everything... She weighed less than a pound... We got them fixed, shots, dewormed, flea drops... Found the kittens all homes, except one... Buddy... It took over a yr to re-home all 4 of them... We kept the mom also... Couldn't see her be moved to another home since she was settled in & not skittish anymore... Her name is Karma... Her & Buddy are the sweetest cats! We are really blessed to have them. I've never been a big cat person lol...
I'm not sure if my next dog will be a puppy or adult... I figure the right one will come around when the time comes...
I just couldn't take a small dog right now, they'd be afraid of the kids... Plus I know s/he would become the baby so I have to wait till this baby is grown lol
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh Tori, how wonderful you are!! What a good thing to take on a mamma and 5 babies. Especially in the condition they were in...Good karma!!! Animals are so lucky there are people like you on the planet..xoxoxo...I have an old retired doctor living across the street from me, he feeds this one old mamma who every year just keeps having litter after litter...I trapped two of her babies two seasons ago...Brought them into work. Spayed them, vaccinated them, did all the necessary STUFF...found them a home..They were returned to me 3 weeks later because they wouldn't "socialize" fast enough...They were FERALS!!!! She knew this..I brought them home, added them to my already too big population of 7 cats to make 9..They are wonderful, one of them, Bella, is such a moosh. She just can't get enough love and attention. The other, a torti named Evelyn, is a bit more skittish, being a torti she already has one strike against her. But she has blended well with the cats here and will love on you on her terms..Both beautiful and healthy. I am blessed they are here. I have been trying to trap the mamma. The old doctor will not grab her. I contacted animal control, telling him the story, how I would take the mom and get her medical care and spay her. This town is just awful with the ferals. They don't care...But if your dog goes a month over in getting re-licensed you get threatened with fines..Go figure..She had some adorable orange babies last spring, I couldn't trap them and then they were gone. Rumor is a fisher cat got them. But we live right on the ocean, not the woods. I am hoping someone else grabbed them..like Blue says, if wishes were fishes..Oh well. You are an amazing girl. I am happy to know you...And a little dog is not really good with little kids. They do have a more high strung nature..enjoy your kids first. Little dog later...xoxoxoxo
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
(female)

dw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB User

Let me introduce you to my dog Chica---Chica Nicole when she's in trouble. LOL. Chica is part shitzu/poodle. She turned 2 (14yrs) December 20th. And she is my baby. It's just me and the hubby. So it was time for me another baby. Specially when I retired. I had the time to train her and give her all my attention. Of course, I do have two grandkids 6 & 17 mths. She knows that they are very special little ones in my eyes. She did try a few times of growling but instant no mams and she got on the clue bus fast. giggle... My husband can not take a toy from her mouth but the either one of the babies can remove it without any problem..it's so funny. She's just a good ole dog. I enjoyed reading about your animals so I just wanted to tell you all about Chica. lol

Debbie

Closed Thread