It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

Jadip71 HB User
Best books for Fibro symptom relief?

Hello everyone,

I am newly diagnosed for fibro and would like to know what books you found were best at helping you to get help for your symptoms. There are a lot of books out there that give advice of what to do, but I am looking for your recommendations. I am open to traditional medicine as well as alternative medicine, suppliments, vitamins/minerals, various therapies, etc.

What book do you keep on your shelf as a constant reference for your fibro?

Thanks and blessings,
Jeanette

Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Best books for Fibro symptom relief?

hi and welcome to the boards,
when i was diagnosed i read alot of books. then i set them aside, got a shrink, and read all of his books. i still use the psychology of language. how to eat, what to do, when to exercise, what to take, are unique choices we all must explore to find what works best for our bodies. for myself it was reading herbal books, going vegetarian, weekly massage, being happy no matter what the day brings, daily execise even if it's just short walks or a bit of yoga, healing time with friends and family. i do not take any meds for fibro.
honestly i don't remember a single book on fibro that i would recommend. there are so many perspectives on how we should be living and what we should be doing. i found reading all of everything and then choosing what works for me was my best choice.
the shrink really helped too. i was not off my nut, but i saw the potential for that, so i sought help in adapting to this ever changing new me. i learned tools for coping with stress, how to say what i mean, how to listen, and to love my body. my shrink was a cancer survivor and gave me his macrobiotic diet book to read. that was when i went vegetarian and seasonal with my diet.
i am sure there are others who have books they feel have helped them find a peaceful path. the funniest one i read was fibro for dummies. tho it also had some good points. they all do.
peace,
bluelakelady

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
monalisa24 (03-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I've read a number of useful books listed below - for me they all had something I could learn and it helped me understand fibromyalgia more - the overriding message being you need to take an active part in your pain management and not become a "victim". My rheumotologist said in his view the key was:-

Knowledge
Positive Attitude
Regular Exercise (knowing your limits!)
Stress Reduction
Good Sleep

Simple wise words that I take heed of every day - I refuse to become a "victim" and dig in - I don't take any meds - I take herbal sleep remedies; vitamins, exercise, positive visioning, positive "self talk", reduced my working week from 5 days to 3 ( I have my own business), walk loads, wrap up warm, hot tub, hot baths etc You'll find lots of useful information about what has helped when you scour these boards

So my book list (in no particular order!!):-
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain - Devin Staranyl & Mary Ellen Copeland
The Trigger Point Therapy Book (self treatment guide for pain relief) - Clair Davies
From Fatigued to Fantastic - Jacob Teitelbaum
Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia & CFS - Dr Rodger Murphee
The Fibromyalgia Healing Diet - Christine Craggs - Hinton
Living with Fibromyalgia Overcoming Common Problems - Christine Craggs - Hinton

Hope this helps and if anyone has any other suggestions please add in

Last edited by thesweetlife; 03-18-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Incorrect title!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thesweetlife For This Useful Post:
bluelakelady (03-18-2011), caribear (03-18-2011), Jadip71 (03-19-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sweet,
i knew you would reply. thanks. this ole memory just ain't what it used to be, giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Less of the "ole" - I'm only a tad bit behind you (49 in 5 weeks) and I'm young!!! - LOL!!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

i'm not old, my brain just thinks it is. you are 7 years younger than me. giggle. you baby, you! thanks for putting all those books there!! you must have them sitting right by you. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know better than that Blue your brain only thinks it's as old as you tell it - LOL!!!!!!!
The books are in a cupboard as there's no way I could remember the names and authors not even at 49!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

let me rephrase that. my memory thinks it is old enough to be forgetful. giggle. my brain goes between 4 and 16 giggle.
thanks again for listing the books. glad you kept them all. i always end up giving my books away to share and seldom see them again. giggle. it's all good tho. reading is not my forte anymore.
peace to all,
blue

Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
(female)

Jadip71 HB User
Talking Re: Best books for Fibro symptom relief?

Thanks so much for the advice. I have already been looking at some on that list already. I guess it would also be helpful to know which books to avoid because the authors just don't "get" it.

Anyone read anything by Dr. Mark J. Pellegrino?

Trying to muddle my way through to find relief,
Jeanette

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Jadip71
bluelakelady (03-20-2011)
Closed Thread