It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

fireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB User
Does anyone else suffer from Kidney stones?

5 years ago I found out that I had kidney stones after a horrible bout of not being able to empty my bladder at all....talk about painful! Anyway 3 years ago I had to have 3 different surgeries to get rid of the stones since they were bothering me so much. This is when my fibro started-- after surgery #2.

Anyway-- I am having issues again....cramps, pain, etc. I know I need to call the doctor but feel like such a hypochondriac after the past few months of demanding attention on all the other issues I have been dealing with.

Added to everything I woke up today with my right eye almost swollen shut. This happened several times last summer and the doctor attributed it to allergies to my garden. Well no garden at the moment (I live in Michigan and we had a high of 28 yesterday with ice, snow, sleet on Tuesday night). So what in the world???

So just wondering if anyone else suffers from kidney stones with the fibro. Wondering if all the fibro issues I had for the past year could be helping the development along cause I have given up soda and make sure to watch the veggies and nuts I am suppose to be careful of.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: fireflyfields
bluelakelady (03-25-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Does anyone else suffer from Kidney stones?

so sorry to hear you are going thru it again. never had them and not related to fibro at all. please get to the doctor girl! who cares what they think? this is not something to mess around with. i hear they are hades personified. sending healing energy on the breeze. don't know about your eye. have you seen an opthomologist about it? may be a good idea.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

fireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB User

Thanks! Have been doing the doctor dance all day long. Primary doctor won't see me as there is nothing he can do for kidney stones. Urologist hasn't seen me in 3 years so they cannot prescribe me pain meds and I cannot get in there until middle of next week. They are attempting to get me in for a CT scan though. Basically they say to go to ER but pain isn't that bad yet- it comes and goes and I just want to stay on top of it before it gets to the ER point! But there goes all my weekend plans. Oh well- what do you do?

Haven't been to an optomologist for the eye but primary doctor thinks it is just allergies of some sort. He figured from the garden as I get hives when I work in the garden and I had a nice case of them when I went in to see him about the eye. Taking some allergy meds for it. Doesn't hurt- just makes me look funny (okay funnier than usual!) And I refuse to give up my garden and canning. It is one of my passions.

Just one of those days where thankfully I am in a good mood and just laughing at myself.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
my eye doc gives me drops for eye allergies and they work great. no drugs in my system that i don't want. also they can be sure that is the problem and everything else is fine.
bummer you are not able to get in. me, i am a chicken when it comes to stuff like that, i run for the doc or e.r. giggle. my kidneys are sensitive and i do take meds that are dispelled by the kidneys so i go at the first sign of a problem. usually infections.
hope you are able to have some fun this weekend.
peace,
blue

Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

There is nothing your PCP can do for kidney stones? Wow I can't even believe he said that.

They can diagnose the problem by ordering a scan, and treat you with pain medication until you get in to see your urologist, if you cannot get in to see the urologist immediately.

Your PCP might not be able to do the surgery to break the stones up, but that is all he can't do.

Yes I've had stones but it isn't associated with the fibromyalgia. There is no definite, single reason, stones form.

If you have a treadmill, start using it, or start walking outside, and drink lots of water. It helps them move on so you can expell them.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
(female)

Well the nurse at Dr. Office said that to me- that they couldn't help me. Of course I have always had issues with her-- she calls me with tests results (which are usually normal) and gets upset that I am not happy about the no results. Tried to explain to her that I just wanted an answer! This was before I was diagnosed with fibro. And I left another PCP when his nurse all but yelled at me on the phone the first time I was dealing with kidney stones. She told me there was nothing they could do and why was I bothering them?? (I had been in earlier that week and dr spent maybe 2 minutes with me and gave me something for an overactive bladder- because I was unable to go at all and was in extreme pain- that was the last straw with that dr. Left him and have never looked back!) Probably because at that time I had no idea it was kidney stones! Anyway--

Urologist ordered a CT scan which I had done on Friday. Go in tomorrow for the results with him. The pain isn't horrible-- just like super duper bad menstrual cramps or early labor pains (probably explains why I had 2 dreams last week of being pregnant and going in to have the baby!). Have been able to live with discomfort but I agree definitely not nice. But this is exactly what I had before when I had a stone stuck.

My biggest fear is that they are going to say that nothing was found. I went through several, several tests November-January for everything from chronic diarrhea to making sure I really had fibro. All the tests came back normal which threw me into a funk cause I was so miserable at the time. Doing much better now but this happens and it just has me second guessing myself or making me unsure of myself. I hate that but then again- that is my nature!

Thanks for the support-- it means so much to me!!

The following user gives a hug of support to fireflyfields:
caribear (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I think we must be alot alike. I read your post and it's like reading my own thoughts. LOL. My kidney stones were blown off as interstitial cystitis flaring up. My urine is the color of red, blown off as a bladder infection. I end up at my urologist crazy at this point, crying and screeming in tears because my PCP's office wouldn't do anything. I had my stones diagnosed in the ER, she didn't give up until she ran the right test and found out what was wrong, and through my urologist, he found one that was blocked. I had stones recur after that and the nurse in his office smarted me off when I called so I didn't go in but I wanted to take those stones I passed and ram them up her hindend. I literally hated that women.

And your doctors not being able to tell you what's wrong. Test after test comes back okay. I let that doubt myself, but I shouldn't have. I haven't been happy either living with a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. I have been so dysfunctional from pain and fatigue and all they can tell me is it's something they can't even prove exists. Lets just say he was honest about it, he said he didn't know what else could be wrong. On top of that, I know without question now the doctor that blew off the doctors saying I had autoimmune disease doesn't believe anything can be wrong with me. So one normal test after another I guess built that up in him, I am not even sure if he really believes I have fibromyalgia or he thinks it's all in my head. He ignores my symptoms now and I think he would die before he'd do a scan on me, or check further into my problems, unless it's just blood work. He took my nerve problems like it was nothing, my neurologist, first visit after years, thinks it's MS. This is my 2nd attack with these problems. Doesn't matter how much pain I'm in, he will not MRI my back. I had to go back twice and ask for neurontin and he still didn't want to give it to me. I am now getting re-evaluated for autoimmune disease again. After 14 yrs of hell. My kids act like I'm faking, other people I know treat me that way. I must say it's great my own doctor feels the same way. My daughter calls me the "faker," cute huh.

Last edited by neveragain444; 03-29-2011 at 10:34 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to neveragain444:
caribear (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
(female)

Awww Never-- how horrible!! I really do feel for you. I at least have the support of my husband and kind of my mom. My mom always thought I was faking any illness when I was little-- in fact one time my leg hurt so bad I was unable to walk on it and she tried to make me go to school. Then threatened me with the doctor when I refused to go (I think I was in 1st grade!). After the dr diagnosed me with a torn ligament and I had to stay off the leg for several days she did say she was sorry. Anyway-- while she does somewhat support me now- she is constantly trying to find other things that I should be tested for and some days seems frustrated with me.

As for doctors-- I got to thinking after I posted my last response about all the issues I have had over the years and how much I have had to fight for treatment. I can not go to the doctor for years because I was healthy and then go because I am extremely sick and they treat me like I am a hypochondriac. I always think- What???? I haven't been here forever! I gave up after 2 dr appts two years ago when the fibro started and did not return to any doctor for over a year and a half. I just dealt with it. The doctor then diagnosed me with fibro after not having seen me in over a year and half and without doing any tests at all. After progressively getting worse I finally said I wanted to make sure it was what I had. So I went to a gastro and rheumy. Neither did exhausted tests but did a few that I could convince them to do. Nothing was found so they stuck with the fibro diagnoses. So now i am leery of going in for most anything, which isn't fair to me or to my family when I feel horrible.

My pcp is a great person and does listen to me but seems stuck with this diagnoses and wants me on antidepressants. After having some bad reactions to them I have refused. I go back in May- have been off everything for 2 months now and feel so much better than I did on them. Definitely not who I was before but far far better.

The best advice I have gotten was from an ER doctor and then again from a very young CT tech (just last friday). Both of them told me to listen to my body as I was the best judge as to when something was wrong with me. I know my body best and I know when something is wrong and to go with that gut feeling. I was glad to have that reassurance again-- although it never diminishes my doubts- that is just me- I am a worrier and figure out all the angles before I even get to the doctors office!

Old 03-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well mom's do that sometimes. LOL. My doctor turned me into a hypochondriac not giving me any answers. Now he probably thinks I'm crazy, I've complained so much. But whatever. I would have never had anything bad to say about him. He's sweet and I mean super sweet. I always liked my doctor, but watching him blow my symptoms off and not do anything, I just don't know anymore. I've been there too, well complained so much, that I felt bad if I would need to call in and ask for help, so half the time I haven't. This includes a time I think my kidneys went into acute renal failure. Still end up at my doctor once or twice a month for some reason. I've had 3 muscle strains occur since I've seen him a month ago and lumbar pain. Yeah. It's always something. You shouldn't though, stop yourself from asking for help, in fear of what they might think. If a doctor wants to be a retard about it, find one who will treat you right.

The Following User Says Thank You to neveragain444 For This Useful Post:
fireflyfields (03-31-2011)
Closed Thread