It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

Lilly238 HB User
Question Newbie has questions!

Hey everyone! I just had my first visit to the Pain Management Clinic today. I went there today to get some help for the pain I've been in because, I have Fibromyalfia, arthritis, nerve damage, tendenitis, and possible spinal damage. I have an MRI tomorrow and x-rays for my back. I have to now wait another week before they can help me with something for my pain. They want the results of the MRI and X-rays first, I guess. I did the peepee test and all that good stuff that comes with your first visit. I'm really upset that they didn't give me something for my pain today. I've been sleeping on the couch for weeks now because, my legs give out on me and it hurts me too much to walk up or down my stairs. The doctor talked about giving me injections and making sure I continued with water therapy. I just don't know if I'm wasting my time with this doctor. I'm already on Trazadone for an anti-depressant that I take every night, Xanax for my horrible anxiety just as needed, Flexeril and Zanaflex for my muscles spasms as needed, and Tramadol two in the morning and two at night. My regular Doctor gave me the referal to this PMC because, she knows I need something stronger and the right help with what I'm going through. My next appointment to the PMC is next week. Do you think they will help me and not make me their test dummy with pointless medication? I do have an appointment with my regular doctor as well tomorrow... do you think I should ask her for something for my pain just to get me by until my next PMC appointment next week? I've been reading everyone's post about Fibromyalgia and some are getting better care and getting what they need. I'm so lost... please help... I don't know what to do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: Newbie has questions!

Well, I am not good at taking meds, so I am not much help. I would wait till next week and see what they suggest. I wouldn't add anything new until all the results are in and they see where you are at this point. I really hope you feel better soon and hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmrots For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

Welcome to the boards!

I understand how frustrating it can be when you need help with your pain, but it seems like nobody wants to give it to you. My rheumy is very reluctant to prescribe pain medication; I actually had to ask him for it, then he scolded me for asking. It is a good sign that your doc has the sense to send you to a pain management clinic where you can get the help you need. Sometimes it takes a long time to find a doctor with enough sense to admit when they don't know how to help you.
I would suggest holding off until your visit with the PMC as well, unless you absolutely can't stand it anymore, then I would discuss it with your doctor tomorrow. In the meantime, try writing out a list of questions and concerns to ask when you go to the PMC. You could ask them how they determine what treatment is best for you, what their viewpoint is on pain meds, and what other types of therapies they might consider. I think they will help you as long as you make sure you remain an active part of your treatment. Don't just let them give you stuff without explaining what it is and why they're giving it to you, and what they will do if it doesn't work. Never be afraid to ask questions.
Good luck and keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to caribear For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (03-31-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi lilly,
welcome to the boards and the family!
i have ablations done and steroid injections in my lumbar spine and fanny. they do help so much more than pills never did. it takes time to find all the spots and what works best for them. i have arthritis in my fanny and djd with a herniated disc below two fused discs. i can walk normal again! heck i can run! it has taken 2 years but we finally have the spots down. i have 4 more to get thru and i should be in my kayak again this summer!
i have never asked my pain doc for meds. they don't help me. she has fibro too so she knows. she and i agree it's attitude, diet, exercise and relaxation that ease the discomforts of fibro. we work on the nerves that are damaged.
i was skeptical at first, i always am, giggle. now i trust her enough to put needles in my spine, and that's saying something! my preference is for a natural path, but sometimes you gotta do western too. balance.
peace,
bluelakelady

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

Lilly238 HB User
Question Re: Newbie has questions!

Thank you so much everyone for getting back to me. I've been reading about Fibromyalgia on Healthboards for some time now and it's great to finally be apart of it all! Just a little follow up... I had my appointment with my regular Doctor couple of days ago and I got the results of my X-rays. I have two disks that are sitting one on top of the other and it's causing me alot of pain in my lower back and butt. Which this is causing major arthritis as well. I also did my MRI that same day and I'll have those results this wednesday the 6th at my PMC appointment. Their going to start doing injections into my lower back because, that's where they think my pain is starting from. I've heard mixed feelings about injections... what are your thoughts on this procedure? They started me on Neurontin and Zanaflex and I'm only allowed two Tramadol in the morning and two at bed time. My PMC Doctor thinks tramadol is a narcotic. I looked it up and it states that it is NOT a controlled drug. So in other words they are going to do counts of my Tramadol and do the peepee test everytime I go I just don't think this is right. I've been a nurse for several years and I've never heard of this nor have I ever abuse any sort of medication. I've made a point to not take the Tramadol because I feel the same whether I take it or not. If the law states it's not a controlled drug then why am I being treat like this?? Is this even legal? I'm very new to this whole PMC thing but, I do know that something isn't right and mostly their obviously not listening to me! I've been on these medications for a few days and I've been having the worst flare-up ever! The pain just keeps getting worse and I've actually found myself crying alot this week and I'm not a big crier. What are your thoughts about asking my PMC Doctor about a patch for pain? Do they work well or any side effects?
On a brighter note, I've been doing water therapy for a few weeks now and I love it.! I feel better when I'm in the pool but, the hard part is gettig out and the next day. Anytime I do my therapy or any type of activity I definately pay for it the next couple of days! I can't wait to start feeling better and for my life to be pain free and semi-normal again! Thank you again everyone for your thoughts and advise, it really helps to know I'm not the only person out there on this Fibromyalgia rollercoaster ride!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

lidoderm patches are awesome and no narcotics. i wear them on my fanny. so far i am very pleased with the injections, they work. yea the pee thing is legal if you want to go that path. the pain med i take for arthritis i get from my internist. all my meds come from him. it just makes sense to have one doctor doing all the scripting.
personally i would steer clear of neurontin. i was on it for years and started having brain problems. some are related to that drug. have not had a "stroke like episode" since i quit. tho some could be related to sjogrens as well. never took tramadol or zanaflex.
hope they work as well for you as they have for me. i learned about them here from one of the girls. i was at my wits end not being able to sit, so i went for it. glad i did.
peace,
blue

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

I can't help you much with the pain meds, but so far as the pool goes, are you able to get some kind of heat after you get out, like a hot tub or sauna? I started doing pool therapy myself not too long ago and if I don't sit in the hot tub after I get done I feel like I've been run over by a truck the next day. I think maybe even a really hot shower might help. It worked for me, maybe it will work for you. <3

The following user gives a hug of support to caribear:
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to caribear For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

My Rhumy will only prescribe Tramadol so I contacted my Primary Dr today to see if she can prescribe something. Tramadol takes the edge off, that's about it. Although, you have to wait 2 hours for it to do anything... I can't take it at night or it will keep me awake...
MY Fibro came on slowly.. First my bad back became very painful, then headaches came on about 4-5 days a week. Then my neck, shoulders & upper back hurt. That's when I was finally diagnosed. It has since got worst & worst. My whole body hurts all the time & when I flare up I'm in sooo much pain & throwing up. I was told that it will eventually stop getting worst & will level out... That gives me hope My point is, it will get better & you will be able to control it, just takes time ♥
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

i lied i do take zanaflex but seldom so i forgot i had it. giggle. it helps the muscles in my back to chill out.
peace,
blue
ps. i heat the bathroom so i can run in to a warm room after. love swimming but the only health club here is nasty! will wait for the lake to warm up, giggle.

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
Lilly238 (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
(female)

Lilly238 HB User

Hi caribear, I dream about having a hot tub everyday! I have to settle with a hot shower after working out in the pool. I love the water therapy but, I too also feel like I've been run over by a truck after I've gotten out of the pool. I know it takes time but, I certainly can't wait to find the right path in all of this for me! Thank you for taking the time to write back to me! =)

Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
(female)

Lilly238 HB User

Hi bluelakelady, As of today I stopped taking the Neurontin because, I've been waking up every hour of the night with massive sharp shooting pains and not being able to move my hands/arms/legs/feet because, it feels like their asleep and I don't mean the simple funny asleep feeling. I've been having horrible headaches the point I get sick. I've only been on this medication for a couple of days and I tell you I feel worse then I have ever felt before! The pain is unbearable now and my Tramadol isn't working for pain. I've been taking the Zanaflex and that seems to help a little but, I'm on a very small dose. I honestly was raised to go the natural way and no medication especially narcotics. I just can't bare the pain anymore, the headaches, and every aspect of being sick! I just don't know if I should ask my PMC doctor for something for the pain. I don't know if this is what others have done when they've had enough of the pain and continued flare-ups. Very sick and so lost. Thank you so much bluelakelady for listening and writing me back.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

hi lilly,
your body does not like neurontin. glad you quit. perhaps after your body settles down the other meds will work again for you. avoid pain meds after 4 as they can disrupt sleep patterns. i take a pain med for arthritis and never past 2 pm. messes with sleep and bowel activity the next morning.
i started out with aquatic therapy. did it for a year 2 days a week. it was a hard start but after a couple of months i was energized by it. until 3 years ago when my fanny went bonkers (with arthritis and other junk) giggle, i was very active and seldom had pain.
when my body goes nuts on me i meditate and do breathing exericses. it is the only thing i have found that helps all the aspects of fibro no drugs work for. for headaches i steam my sinus's. we tend to dry out, especially in winter. i plug in the rice cooker and set in on low overnight. no headache when i wake. if i forget my head tells me!
hope you feel better today, giggle, okay well soon!
peace,
blue

Closed Thread