It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Constant Flare, Pain Meds daily

Hi everyone,
I have tried not to take meds as much as I can... But I feel like I'm in a constant flare & just don't want to move if I don't take Tramadol. Course, all that does is take the edge off. I try each day to not take something, but always happens... Seems to be worst now that I switched from Cymbolta to Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin doesn't seem to help with pain at all...
Anyone else have this? So tired of feeling like crap...
Doesn't help much when I'm Hypothyroid... My Dr keeps wanting to lower my meds? Doesn't make sense to me... My Glucose is high, she said nothing about that though... It's 115 & its supposed to be no higher than 110...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
caribear (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Constant Flare, Pain Meds daily

I've been on alot of antidepressants for depression, not for pain relief, and none did a thing for pain, infact the side effects were so bad, they caused more pain, especially effexor - lock jaw, kidney infection, chronic renal pain.

No it doesn't make sense why your doctor would want to lower your dosages. Typically a doctor wants to raise it if it isn't working good enough.

Your doctor likely didn't say anything about your glucose because it is a mild elevation, and to my understanding, that doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong.

You could try anti-inflammatory medication and muscle relaxants too for your fibro pain. Lortab might be more effective than Tramadol. They gave me Tramadol for dental pain, it was such a joke.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Wellbutrin is for depression, anxiety. Also to quit smoking, works for some weight loss...You may need something stronger than tramadol. Tramadol for me is like eating tic tacs. Pain causes anxiety and then it creates a vicious cycle. I understand you not wanting to take meds, but if they make you feel better doesn't that beat the alternative?? If you feel better you are in a better frame of mind to enjoy life, not worry about pain...I tried going the no med route, I was miserable. Told my NP we are back on..I feel great and have never looked back..don't beat yourself up over taking medication when you need it. xoxo
Sandra

Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Have you tried Savella? It is an antidepressant similar to Cymbalta, however it has more norepinenephrine in it. I took it for awhile and didn't like taking both Cymbalta and Savella at the same time, even though I was told it was ok to do so. Savella alone made me angry, however many people have good luck on it. One thing it did do was it gave me more energy and I even lost some weight on it.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Doctors are really getting in to using antidepressants for pain relief. Doesn't matter what it is, do an online search on a name of any antidepressant and put chronic pain beside that and watch how many of them are used for pain relief. They think that depression causes physical pain and by treating you with one of these medications and getting your mental status back to normal, that you will feel better physically. I guarantee you if a doctor is giving you an antidepressant to treat your pain, he is thinking depression is involved.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

I have been on antidepressants for years and they have never done a thing for pain. It would seem to me that pain would cause depression, not the other way around. But hey, that is just me...Every body is an individual though, and what works for one may not for another..unfortunately todays society everything is streamlined and assembly lined. Doctors are too quick to pull out a prescription pad when they should sit, relax and LISTEN..But you also have to be your own advocate..I go in and tell them what I want, not what they think I want..lololol...
peace
Sandra

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

ugh, I'm not even depressed lol I have anxiety... Cymbolta worked great for that & wellbutrin seems to also...
My pain mostly centers in my neck, shoulders & back which seems to lead me to a constant headache. I hate eating breakfast then having no appetite these days & nausia... I'm having to eat in the morning so I can take my Tramadol. Then I'm laying on the couch for 2 hours waiting for it to kick in. It's sooo hard with an infant & 3 older kids. Then when I over do it I'm throwing up.
Soon as I get the energy I'll call the Dr and see what she can come up with... I've already been waiting for a referral to a neurologist so I can be tested for ms....
I'm just soo sick of not feeling well... Then my husband is bugging me about our farm because I haven't been able to do anything... It's hatching season & he wants me to hatch... That's the easy part... It's taking care of hundreds of babies that is difficult...
We went on a trip to see his family for a week... I had just got over the Cymbolta Withdraws then spent 2 days packing... 8 hours in a car there. Then his family wanting to do stuff each day. If I dare rest and get on the computer, my hubby was chewing me out because I'm supposed to visit with his sister the whole time. Yet, I sit there doing nothing while she's on facebook! grrrr I've been in a constant flare, been sick multiple times. The last night there I had to go out with my sister in law for drinks... I feel so awful it's hard to be social. Then we spent another 8 hours on the road home... Been trying to unpack but having a heck of a time moving. It's sooo nice to be home & be able to lay on my couch.
Anyhow, I guess I needed to vent alittle... I'm just soo tired of being miserable then having people act like nothing I do is good enough. I'm doing my best & trying so hard to be normal but sooo miserable.
The pains have been worst since stopping cymbolta. I feel like someone used me as a punching bag...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Vent Away!

Have you tried massage? I go for a massage every 2 weeks and it really relieves the tension built up in my neck, upper back and which also causes headaches.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had a message for my Birthday in February. It felt good but didn't find much relief... Wish I could afford to go more often though...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Me too, back pain, neck pain, jaw pain, and one sided headaches. Tingling in the extremities, muscle spasms in my back, radiates upward, and into my chest & abdomen. Shooting pain, throbbing pain, sharp pain. Burning in my back, cooling sensations. Sometimes I've had shoulder pain & horrible migraines from it. I have 3 areas in my back bothering me and 1 in my cervical that flares up time to time. So my neuro said it was too widespread to be from my back but the only pain he's aware of that I have in my back is my thoracic area. He thinks it could be MS. It's my 2nd attack with the tingling since 2005. But neurontin has been amazing for lessening the degree of back pain. Hardly ever radiates upward now. It really helps. Have you tried that for your pain?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I tried Neurontin but it made me really grumpy. I was snapping at everyone...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
(female)

dw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB User

Self Preservation -- one thing I need to practice more.... why is it so easy for us to tell someone else to take care of number one....But, than we do the opposite

Have a good friend that gives me massages -- just hate asking....

I've been flaring now for 2 full days..Maybe in the morning it'll be different ...I pray I wake up feeling like I was 20 again....or at least 40...

Hope everyone a good nights rest..good night

Debbie

The Following User Says Thank You to dw1961 For This Useful Post:
thefarm (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

One other thing I find that is enormously helpful is to meditate..I know Tori it is hard with all the kids but even 10 minutes will be helpful. I can put myself into a state where I put my body at total relaxation, and slow my respiration way down..I just concentrate on going deep into myself to the core of my being..and it works. I know I probably sound like a loony but trust me. Being able to relax every part of your body, especially while it is in pain, is imperative to me...fighting pain just makes it worse. If you can envision pain as a wave in the surf, and you the surfer. Just relax and ride the wave. I did this with all my kids and never once needed anything for pain..give it a try..it is free love you kid...
peace and love
Sandra

The following user gives a hug of support to tooolgrl:
thefarm (03-30-2011)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
caribear (03-30-2011), dw1961 (03-30-2011), Pammyann (03-30-2011), thefarm (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
(female)

dw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB User

off to ride the waves............thanks again Tooolgirl.......Tori-I'm gonna try and go back on Cymbalta....I did not feel as much fibro pain when I took it.. I'm a crybaby to a point. Love to all....

Debbie

Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dwh~ Have you tried Lyrica or Neurontin? I'm just thinking that one of them may help & you shouldn't have such bad withdraws if you go off of it...
I know, its tough not being on something that helps...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread