It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

hopefullslc HB User
Anxiety or Fibromyalgia??

I was just curious since a lot of anxiety symptoms are the same as Fibromyalgia, how do we determine the difference???

Still searching for an answer to my pain!! I am 32 and feel like I am going insane. I feel so many physical symptoms, why can't they find an answer?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: hopefullslc
monalisa24 (04-01-2011), Pammyann (03-31-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Anxiety or Fibromyalgia??

What anxiety symptoms are you thinking are like fibromyalgia? Anxiety is just a feeling in your head. Overly worrying. Fibromyalgia, on the other hand, causes widespread muscle pain, stiffness, fatigue, and all that good stuff. Your anxiety is being flared up because you don't have any answers, it's not that the anxiety is causing the problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

hopefullslc HB User

Well my doctor seems to think my muscle pain, dizziness, burning under my skin and numbness and tingling may be anxiety related. So, for me, it may be a longer wait to finding an answer. He seems to think anxiety can manifest in a ton of physical symptoms......

I was just curious. Miserable. Hoping!!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

I have to ask the same question as Neveragain, what symptoms are you having? Some anxiety symptoms can be very physical. Often when you have a panic or anxiety attack your heart races, you can shake, your chest can hurt, and you can generally feel like you're having a heart attack. That's what an anxiety attack is, basically, your body telling you that you better fix what's going on because according to the information it's getting, you're going to die. Of course you aren't going to die, but your body doesn't understand that. It for one reason or another has activated the fight-or-flight survival mechanism, which is what causes you to feel such anxiety.
The main symptoms of fibromyalgia are like Neveragain said, body pain, stiffness, fatigue, fogginess, cognitive difficulties, and a variety of others. Some symptoms of anxiety are fast heart rate, chest pain or pressure, trouble breathing, shakiness, and extreme fear or anxiousness. Also anxiety reactions are usually short in duration, typically several minutes, whereas fibro symptoms can last from hours to years. Of course this is where I should tell you that I'm not a doctor and if you are experiencing any of these symptoms , you should consult your doctor.

The following user gives a hug of support to caribear:
kirstee (04-03-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

Sorry, I was typing while you were answering. I wouldn't be so sure about those being anxiety symptoms, except maybe the dizziness, but even that is a very big maybe. It all sounds like fibro to me. But like I said, I'm not a doctor.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Just a note, before I was diagnosed with Fibro, I had horrible anxiety. I went to the ER with some of the symptoms. They prescribed me Xanax which helped the anxiety and some of the tingling and burning sensations that I was having also. Whether anxiety follows fibro or fibro follows anxiety, I do think they often go with each other, but there are some who have one or the other. Once I was officially diagnosed with fibro and put on fibro meds, the anxiety settled down mostly. I do Xanax at night for sleep but not really for anxiety so much any more.

Have they given you anything for the anxiety and has it worked on the other symptoms too?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
(female)

tam821 HB User

I think they do go together for sure. When someone has a stressful life and/or anxiety it can lead to phsyical pain in the body..fibromyalgia!

and let me tell you I have had it since 2002 and I felt and know the pain.

I found something I thought would NEVER happen. My fibro isnt around anymore!!

2002-2010 I was going thru bad divorce, pain from back surgery, stress with kids, family, my dad died, had to quit work, lived in PA in COLD weather..pain was unbearable

fast forward to 2011

divorce final as of MARCH. family back in pa, nice weather, less stress and anxiety here,

PAIN level is 0. I still have back soreness but i mean fibro =0

Of course I wonder if it was due to my current thyroid problems too. How can such terrible pain just go away???

If I do have a bad day pain is maybe a 2. I believe stress doesnt trigger it, but is the root of it. living all tense, stressed, tightens your muscles, they hurt, you slow down on movement and your tired, ,,, then no excercise and your muscle become weak along with spasms..

I thought Id never say this but its all in my head.!! I have relaxed and let my cares go and I feel wonderful..

If someone would have told me fibro was in my head years ago, I would have beat the crap out of them !! lol.

summary: pain is very very real, but we can use our mind to reduce it greatly.

I dont think I have fibro anymore

Old 03-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Fibro doesn't go away. Sometimes people are wrongfully diagnosed... Something simple like low Vitamin D levels will cause pain, fatigue, ect. That's why Dr's run so many tests & rule out so much before making a diagnosis... It took 12 years to find out I had Chronic Fatigue then Fibro.

For me Anxiety is being constantly worried & stressed. With Fibro, if I stress I am in a huge flare! So yes, Anxiety can hurt, but usually if you have Fibro.
You really should be refered to a neurologist or Rhumetologist. You need to have lots of tests done. Keep pushing, don't settle. Some Drs want to "guess" what is wrong, prescribe you something, then send you on your way.
I really hope it's something curable like Lyme or Low Vitamin D. Whatever it is, the sooner you know, the sooner you can fix it or take control of it.

Keep us posted!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
(female)

hopefullslc HB User

Thanks you guys!!

This all started after I gave birth on 11/28/09 and went into heart failure. My heart is technically considered recovered but I haven't felt well since. The weird thing is I have weeks that I feel decent and weeks I can hardly function. So, I do believe that a small part may be anxiety related, but not all.

If all these symptoms are in my head I am ready to be committed!!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
(female)

sealear HB User

Hi, my doctor told me the same thing and guess what? As soon as he mentioned it was my anxiety (I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder last year) 98% of my symptoms went away. Anxiety is a terrible thing....yes, it comes from your head but it can cause all kinds of trouble in the body. Go on line and check out anxiety center (I think that's what it's called)....it gives a whole list of various ways your body can react to anxiety. Good luck! By the way, I do take medication for my anxiety.

The Following User Says Thank You to sealear For This Useful Post:
hopefullslc (03-31-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
(female)

tam821 HB User

I think fibro DOES go away. I know I wasnt dxed wrong. I went to my fam dr and rhumy doctor, they did all the tests and blood work, xrays, to rule out other things. I had all the pressure points pains, I almost jumped thru the roof. when the dr touched the pressure points, I was classic case fibro.

so there is HOPE.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I was alarmed to read your doctor felt that some of the FMS symptoms you DID list he attributed to anxiety. If you are not satisfied with how this doctor is interacting with you, please find another doctor who will. It does take time to find the right MD who will co-partner with you in your quest for relief.

Kirstee

Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefullslc View Post
Well my doctor seems to think my muscle pain, dizziness, burning under my skin and numbness and tingling may be anxiety related. So, for me, it may be a longer wait to finding an answer. He seems to think anxiety can manifest in a ton of physical symptoms......

I was just curious. Miserable. Hoping!!
Well I think our two doctors need to go out for dinner, sounds like they'd make a good match. It doesn't seem like your doctor believes that there is anything wrong, and is throwing it off on anxiety as their way of not doing anything about it. I've went through severe back pain my dr won't diagnosis, and blames it on muscle, though this is directly in my spine, and when my muscle flares, it hurts to move, so I know the difference, and he's a professional, he should too. I also get numbness, tingling, burning, shooting pains, cooling sensations, pins and needle sensations. I feel like I am eat up with nerve disease. From the time I wake up until I am back asleep, I feel tingling all over my body. Well my doctor didn't do anything when I told him this, he said lets wait to see what the rhematolgist thinks (many mths away) and said maybe it was the fibromyalgia. But he thinks my fibro is purely just muscle pain, obviously. Probably thinks it's brought on by depression. I don't feel like he believes anything is wrong anymore. His actions of not wanting to diagnose or treat my problems, make that kind of obvious. I went back to an old neurologist. I know I have some kind of autoimmune disease. My neuro thinks it is MS (I had past problems in 05 with tingling too and myofacial pain), and I'm going to see a rhematologist this month to see if it's MCTD affecting my nerves. I don't know which it is yet. But I do know symptoms like that should not be ignored. I think the only way your going to go numb through an anxiety attack is overbreathing, breathing harder than normal, pretty much hyperventilating. That can get so bad, it can make you stiff and numb all over. But it goes away and doesn't occur unless you are having the hyperventilation attack. Or well, I can say it didn't with me and I have had that + anxiety since 17 yrs old. I don't hyperventilate anymore. My nerve symptoms definetly are not being caused by anxiety. It's either a back issue from widespread arthritis or my AI disease. I also have had low vit d & b12, it has not helped getting those levels around normal. I hear if your deficiant long enough, it can bring on nerve disease. I have also heard low vit d can be linked to MS. I take neurontin and it helps calm my back pain down but it doesn't help my nerve symptoms. But it can for some people. You might ask your doctor to try that or Lyrica.

Closed Thread