It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

adj76 HB User
Newly diagnosed, starting Cymbalta

Hi everyone! I'm new to the board, having just been diagnosed with FM and CFS last week (finally, answers!). I am currently uninsured and my doc has been great to provide me with samples of Cymbalta to start dealing with my pain ( I will be insured come June, so I should be able to handle the co-pay to continue the med then). Since I also struggle with depression, he is hoping this will be a great treatment option for me.
My question for you all is, since I am very sensitive to meds, should I be concerned about weaning onto Cymbalta, or is starting at 30 mg daily going to be ok. I'm scared! I've been on numerous anti-depressants before and have always needed to wean slowly onto them, and even more slowly off of them. After reading some info about Cymbalta, it seems the withdrawal can be terrible, so I'm worried getting onto it may be tough for me too.
Any personal experiences or advice would be really helpful right now. I have the samples, but have not started them yet. Hoping to get a little more info from others who have been there, before I embark on this...especially since once I'm on, I worry stopping may be tough.
Another question too, I like my wine! Can I drink alcohol while on this med?! LOL.
Thanks so much!! I look forward to learning from you and starting my new life managing my fibromyalgia and CFS.
Angela

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: adj76
caribear (04-02-2011), whatswronghere (04-02-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed, starting Cymbalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adj76 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to the board, having just been diagnosed with FM and CFS last week (finally, answers!). I am currently uninsured and my doc has been great to provide me with samples of Cymbalta to start dealing with my pain ( I will be insured come June, so I should be able to handle the co-pay to continue the med then). Since I also struggle with depression, he is hoping this will be a great treatment option for me.
My question for you all is, since I am very sensitive to meds, should I be concerned about weaning onto Cymbalta, or is starting at 30 mg daily going to be ok. I'm scared! I've been on numerous anti-depressants before and have always needed to wean slowly onto them, and even more slowly off of them. After reading some info about Cymbalta, it seems the withdrawal can be terrible, so I'm worried getting onto it may be tough for me too.
Any personal experiences or advice would be really helpful right now. I have the samples, but have not started them yet. Hoping to get a little more info from others who have been there, before I embark on this...especially since once I'm on, I worry stopping may be tough.
Another question too, I like my wine! Can I drink alcohol while on this med?! LOL.
Thanks so much!! I look forward to learning from you and starting my new life managing my fibromyalgia and CFS.
Angela
Welcome to the Board!
LOL You sound so much like me! I like my wine also However, for some reason I don't want it as much these days. Just every once in awhile. Not sure why that is. But I can't take my pain meds in the evening or they will keep me awake so sometimes I drink a glass of wine instead...
I have had CFS since 99 but just diagnosed last year (Finally!). I was diagnosed right afterward with Fibro & I thought the Dr was nuts. But, Flares started coming & it didn't take long to realize he was right. It has since gotten worst & worst. It's supposed to level out eventually...
Anyhow, Cymbolta worked great for my Anxiety & Pain. I thought it contribulting to my weight gain so I went off it. Turns out My thyroid is low (been on med for Hypothyroid since 2003). Anyhow, I stopped Cymbolta 3 weeks ago & it was awful. I don't want to worry you or scare you but it was a horrible experience. I was hurting so bad I hardly left the couch for a week. I was throwing up so much that I thought I'd have to go to the ER for dehydration. Anyhow, there are others with similar experiences... The thing is that if it works for you, it's great! I'm on Wellbutrin now which does nothing for the pain... Not good... I also take Flexeral which is a muscle relaxer to help me sleep. I notices it also helps alittle with the pain. I take Tramadol for pain but it takes 2 hours to kick in & only takes the edge off...
Anyhow, Congratulations on finally knowing what is wrong! This is a huge step! It is alittle scary & frustrating at first... But you will learn how to control it best you can.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
(female)

adj76 HB User

Thanks for your response, Tori! I've been suffering from hip pain and fatigue for years, and in the last year, it seems my whole body has been shutting down. This diagnosis makes so much sense to me, I just wish I knew what has been going on a long time ago. My doc did prescribe me with Flexeril as well to take at night to help with pain/sleep, but again, I've been too chicken to take it! I know I will when I'm in too much pain not to, but boy I have a real fear of meds.
Another question to throw out there is how to explain this all to my husband...He is a very hard worker, and I'm afraid in a way he just doesn't get it! To him, he gets tired too, he hurts too, etc. How do I educate him on what is going on with me? It always seems like a competition and I just want him to realize that when I over-exert myself, I'm down for the count and not just because I'm lazy! Maybe this needs to be a whole other thread!!
Thanks again, everyone,
Angela

Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adj76 View Post
Thanks for your response, Tori! I've been suffering from hip pain and fatigue for years, and in the last year, it seems my whole body has been shutting down. This diagnosis makes so much sense to me, I just wish I knew what has been going on a long time ago. My doc did prescribe me with Flexeril as well to take at night to help with pain/sleep, but again, I've been too chicken to take it! I know I will when I'm in too much pain not to, but boy I have a real fear of meds.
Another question to throw out there is how to explain this all to my husband...He is a very hard worker, and I'm afraid in a way he just doesn't get it! To him, he gets tired too, he hurts too, etc. How do I educate him on what is going on with me? It always seems like a competition and I just want him to realize that when I over-exert myself, I'm down for the count and not just because I'm lazy! Maybe this needs to be a whole other thread!!
Thanks again, everyone,
Angela
Hi Angela,
I've done that thread! lol
I wish I could help you with that one...
Even with CFS I was on the go. Didn't matter how exhausted I was (the brainfog the worst) I pushed myself. So, after my first Flare, I slowed down quick. My husband doesn't comprehend the change. I was in the process of building our farm, sold off alot because it was to much for me. Right now my husband is hounding me to clean the incubator & turn it on. But everything is just to much for me... Having Fibro hurts & the more you do the more it seems to hurt. I feel like i'm in a constant flare these days. My routine is 2 Tramadol in the morning & wait 2 hours to kick in so I can atleast move around. My husband ticks me off because he doesn't get it & rather than helping, he makes it more difficult.
The best advice I can give it to show him information on Fibro that explains it better.
With the Flexeril, start off with just one tablet. I have worked my way upto 2. But 1 1/2 works just as well as 2 does for me so I take that instead. If you have insomnia issues & don't get deep sleep you are gonna love it! lol At first it knocked me out within about 20 mins.
Anyhow, I'm off to bed. TTYL
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: thefarm
adj76 (04-01-2011), whatswronghere (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
(female)

dw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB User

I see you have both the hash/fibro...when I was first dx I was hoping it was just the hash one. I read something about a cure for that one?...

Seems like all of us that have fibro are go getters so we have a harder time with it cause we don't know how to be lazy..giggle...

yes, if he's a reader, plant some materials at his fingertips...specially if he reads while he's on the john...remove all the other material--giving him no option but the read it....I had to do this with info concerning Cymbalta-he thought it was just a anti-depressant only...and did'nt do anything for pain...I plastered it on my refrigerator. ( He got the message) giggle...

Feeling pretty good today...starting to slow down a bit...when I need to ...past four days' been work putting one foot in front of the other...But, Thank God I do have feet...I've started giving thanks for things I use to take for granted...

Love and gentle hugs to all ...
Hang around ADj ..you'll find things that works for you ....it'll get better...

Hope your day is full of energy..

Debbie

Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
(female)

whatswronghere HB User
Question Re: Newly diagnosed, starting Cymbalta

Hi everyone!
I hope ya'll are having a less painful day today Anyhoo..I just saw a rhuemetologist for the first time about 2 wks ago and she did extensive blood work...so she said and all tests came back neg. Then she prescribed me cymbalta for inflammation. I haven't taken it yet bc it costs over $100 and medicaid wouldn't approve the medication stating that it wasn't medically nessecary that i hv this particular medication...***? Go figure! So can anyone tell me how it makes them feel bf i spend $100 and some change on a medication that doesn't work for me just like that Lyrica nonsence!

in the meantime i'll be praying for all of yall to have less pain or none at all in the days to come. Be blessed and don't give up..our fight is not over!
~Tia

Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

RE: dwh1961

"Seems like all of us that have fibro are go getters so we have a harder time with it cause we don't know how to be lazy"

So True! Who'd of thought learning to relax would be so difficult!

"yes, if he's a reader, plant some materials at his fingertips...specially if he reads while he's on the john...remove all the other material--giving him no option but the read it...."

Excellent Idea! I wish I'd of thought about that sooner. I may still have to do it... My hubby is complaining about his cold.. You know, the one that I had for 3 week & lost my voice, it was awful. Well, he doesn't remember me being sick. (I just got over it a week ago). But he says that I'm always sick, never feel good. grrr
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Last edited by thefarm; 04-02-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cymbolta worked really well for my anxiety & pain. I went off of it thinking it was causing my weight gain. Weight Gain isn't listed as a side effect but it happens often for people on it...
Going of Cymbolta was an awful experience. I was sooo uncomfortable, hurt really bad, was sick numerous times to the point of worrying about dehydration...
Anyhow, not trying to scare you... A month ago I would have been telling you how wonderful it was! However, going off of it is really bad... Neurontin is supposed to work pretty well.. It made me moody so had to go off of it. But the withdraws were nothing like the Cymbolta.
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
whatswronghere (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
(female)

whatswronghere HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartinfarm View Post
Cymbolta worked really well for my anxiety & pain. I went off of it thinking it was causing my weight gain. Weight Gain isn't listed as a side effect but it happens often for people on it...
Going of Cymbolta was an awful experience. I was sooo uncomfortable, hurt really bad, was sick numerous times to the point of worrying about dehydration...
Anyhow, not trying to scare you... A month ago I would have been telling you how wonderful it was! However, going off of it is really bad... Neurontin is supposed to work pretty well.. It made me moody so had to go off of it. But the withdraws were nothing like the Cymbolta.
I was on neurontin and it made me super sleepy...lol! I'd fall asleep in church, at my desk at work (when i was able to work) and even in mid conversation while talking to someone...lmbo! It really made me sleepy..guess my tolerance for sleepiness on meds is high. It did however, numb the pain but I just can't function while taking it. Willing to try it again though! Right about now if someone told me that eating horse poop would take this pain away i'd seriously consider it..in a pill for that is..hahaa!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lol well you'll find that there are many magic "cures"... Just make sure you research before trying any of them ♥ Oh, and try to stay away from the horse poop
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

When I was diagnosed in 2007, they prescribed Lyrica and it was a godsend, however I still had pain, mainly the itchy and tingling stuff. Cymbalta was prescribed in addition to the Lyrica and I have been pretty much pain free since. I have hydrocodone for break thru pain when I need it.

I suggest you try the Cymbalta, I started with 30 mg for a week and went up to 60 mg after that. It made me sleepy initially but later gave me more energy. I now take it in the morning. I did not gain weight from it. There will be no reason to go off it works. However on the Lyrica I did gain weight but have lost most of it.

I too was afraid of taking anything because I have had some bad drug side effects, but once I found the right mix, it makes a huge difference on how I fee. Also, I drink some wine occasionally but not daily.

Hope this helps,
Pam

The Following User Says Thank You to Pammyann For This Useful Post:
adj76 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
(female)

How soon they forget when it comes to them...men...but, I'm so attached to mine I can't leave him, or love em...giggle....really though he tries hard to take care of me, if I would just listen..yeah right...only problem is he thinks I'm hard of hearing cause he says it over and over...sorta like a broken record.

made appt back to the dr...sorry Tori, I'm going back on it..this daily pain is dragging me down. I'm just going to go on Cymbalta by itself and if I seen I may need the Lyrica then I will add it...But, because I was off the Lyrica for about 2 weeks before I went off Cymbalta, I'm thinking one will do..hope so anyways....hate depending on chemicals..

in all I feel like a 6 on 1-10 scale so not a bad day for a fibromite..

Hope everyone is having a good day!!! suppose to get a light frost tonight, after being in the 80's...told him not to plant the little tender plants...HARD Headed ole man...but, I love my ole man...after thirty three years..I'm just finding that out. Is that not weird? I'm doing alot of weird things lately..I guess you could call it FibroLove....me just appreciating the good things in life. It took me getting disabled to see the finer things in life..

Debbie

Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
(female)

what I was going to say about them forgetting...I slept in a chair beside his hospital bed for about 17 days during his stay. And, then when he was home all three times from back surgeries, not counting other minor things that required some assistance from me....

He happen say something about I've not been there for him as much as he is for me ....not to quoted...conversation was not the exact wording....but, you know what I mean...
This just made me think about it when I read about how they don't recognize what we want them to or they need too.

Pump of full of information without them knowing they are being fed...

Debbie

Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
(female)

wants wrong--- have you tried getting the dr. to write out something that says it's needed (Cymbalta). I think they would pay for it if you got the dr. to say different.

Debbie

Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
(female)

Meme8 HB User

HI,

I am also new to the message board. I have been on Cymbalta now for almost 3 years. I started off with 30mgs. and have been u p and down with my dose as well as being swithched frtom time to time. I have found that Cymbalta works best for me and am now on a higher dose. I have never had any side effects from it as I did with other meds introduced in its place.

Good luck as you work through this.

Closed Thread