It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User
Questioning my rheumy's paperwork

Hi all,

I went to my rheumy again today and confronted him with the pain relief situation. I told him that the vicodin he had given me was not effective, gave him the bottle back, and asked him for something that would work. He told me that vicodin was one of the strongest painkillers available, which I know is not necessarily true. I asked him what he thought I should do then, since it wasn't working on my most severe pain and obviously none of my other OTC and non-medicinal treatments helped either once I got to a certain pain level. He finally hesitantly gave me a prescription for percocet, along with a lecture about how it is very addictive and I really shouldn't rely on it. So I'm thinking if he continues to lecture me like this that I am going to find another rheumy.

Anyway, the thing that puzzled me is that while he told me verbally that I have fibro from the first appointment, the receipt I got from him today was marked polyarthralgia. There isn't even a box or code on his receipt form for fibromyalgia or anything like it. The notes say "polyarthralgia no known cause." Should I be concerned about this? I thought polyarthralgia was in the joints, and we clearly discussed my pain as being in my muscles. I don't know whether it's a big enough deal to call his office and ask about it or not. Anybody ever have an issue with this before?

The following user gives a hug of support to caribear:
Pammyann (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
(female)

brooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB User
Re: Questioning my rheumy's paperwork

I have been taking vicodin since 2006 and have no addiction problems, some doctors think all patients are drug addicts and have had problems in the past which cause them to hesitiate to give the meds to people that really do need them. I have had to fight my way to getting my meds before too which has included me switching doctors. Polyarthralgia is joint pain which can be a part of fibromyalgia but does not have all of the same symptoms so I would ask about your diagnosis. My first rheumy diagnosed me with fibromyalgia even though I have no muscle pain and I requested a copy of my medical records and she had wrote that I complained of muslce aching and burning which I never even said and she wrote nothing of my complaints of dryness (turns out I have Lupus and Sjogren's both completely missed because she was determined to diagnose fibro). Its always a good idea to get copies of all medical records and labs so you know what they are doing because they are not always right. I think that first doc was getting a kickback from the Savella company because she forced those poison pills on me and made me terribly sick and wanted me to take them for six months before knowing if they would help me! I also told her I didn't believe her diagonsis and asked questions and every answer was "its the fibro". New rheumy looked beyond blood tests and found the real source of my symptoms and is treating me appropriatly. Do not be afraid of switching doctors its the best thing I ever did. We need someone to be a partner to help us through our medical issues not some overlord to lecture us when they have no idea how we really feel.

The Following User Says Thank You to brooklyngirl For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

Thanks brooklyngirl. It's really frustrating when your doctor decides that even though they don't live in your body or have what you have, they know what's best for you and you don't. I'm really thinking about switching now. The only reason I haven't yet is because the next closest one to me is an hour and a half away. Living in the middle of nowhere can be a pain sometimes.

I called the office this morning to ask about the paperwork. The receptionist sounded confused right at first and told me that their records showed a diagnosis of fibro. After a little bit of discussion she told me that the reason the paperwork said that was that they had run out of their normal receipts, and had to use old ones that were out of date. Then after a little more discussion she read my diagnosis off the computer - fibromyalgia with polyarthralgia present, no known cause. I guess that makes me feel a little bit better about the receipt thing, but I think I'm still going to request copies of my records.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hello caribear,
i have both and you would know if your joints were affected! it's intense and i have it in most of my joints. nothing i have experienced compares to the intensity of my joints. the swelling is very noticable and exceptionally uncomfortable.
get your records so you can read them. as for pain medication we are all different. some drugs work for me and some don't. like anything else you have to find the one best suited to your body's chemisty.
i know the lecture about addiction is a bore. mine did it too in the beginning. now he asks me every time if i need more. maybe give the doctor time to realize you are not dumb when it comes to narcotics? i listened to it for about 6 month. i knew he would see in time that he did not need to, and he did.
peace,
blue

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
caribear (04-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I would question the diagnosis. Have you tried any of the meds approved for Fibro?

If you are not eventually happy, I definitely would switch doctors. A good doctor who works with you can make all the difference in the world.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pammyann For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

I haven't tried any approved fibro meds yet. My GP wanted to put me on cymbalta, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it unless I failed to improve on another antidepressant first. He put me on paxil, and despite how crappy it made me feel in the beginning, it did help my mood. Of course it didn't do anything for the pain, but since I did show improvement of some sort my insurance co. would not pay for me to switch. My rheumy put me on doxepine (sp?) for sleep, but it worked too well and made me too groggy to function the next day. I get the impression that he doesn't like to put people on medication if he doesn't think they absolutely need it, which is both good and bad. Good because I don't want a doc to just throw medication at me and hope something helps. Bad because when I do need something, I have to convince him that I need it.

I just have a general distrust for doctors. I've been treated so badly by so many of them that I am quick to feel like they're not wanting to help me and write them off. I will have to do some more serious thinking when I'm not in so much pain. The trip to the rheumy is one hour each way and it does me in for a few days afterwards. I'll have to do some non-emotional, non-pain-fueled thinking about whether he is a good doc for me.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

caribear, polyarthralgia is pain in many joints. Sometimes a doctor puts a different diagnosis at the bottom of the receipt to make sure the insurance company will pay for the med he is prescribing. I have had that happen to me. Sorry this is going to be short, my puppy is driving me crazy to go outside.

Glojer

Ok got her outside and didn't run out of juice on the laptop. Some ins. co.s won't pay for a med if it is not under their guidelines for a specific illness. Perhaps he knows that percocet is not within your ins. for fibro, but it will go through for polyarthralgia. My PCP prescribed advair for me once and she had to prescribe a certain inhaler to get my ins. to pay for the advair and pills she prescribed. She told me and said only use the inhaler if I absolutely needed it. It is all a game with the insurance companies. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Glojer; 04-13-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: still had battery

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-13-2011), Pammyann (04-14-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
(female)

That makes sense, I never thought of that. Thanks Glojer!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Good point Glojer!

I have had that too. They originally did not put Fibro on my insurance forms so that they would pay for meds. However, now they put Fibro and they put CFS (which I thought I had for years), too to get the meds I need, and sometimes it still does not work.

Last edited by Pammyann; 04-14-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Your welcome ladies. I'm just older and have a little more experience. When I was younger we went to docs and never questioned a thing. And believe me women were treated differently than men. We were given Vallium or Elavil and told it was all stress, we just had bad nerves......excuse me while I up chuck.......giggle. Anyway as you get older you don't care you ask questions and learn a lot.

Glojer

The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-14-2011)
Closed Thread