It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

^angelroses^ HB User
folic acid

hi,
i have had fibro for 15 yrs.....am on amytriptyline...but rarely take it ,because,it dulls the brain,and stops me thinking...i never talk about fibro...cos the family think i am perfectly healthy to look at...
plus i try to believe i havent got fibro..then all the symtoms dont get in my head and make me worse....i have full blown fibro....

its very painfull.......for 2 yrs i have been back and forward to the hospital for tests.....cos i have pins and needles all the time in my full left arm..right hand..right foot and leg....i had a neck scan..electric tests on hands both normal....seen a nuerologist yesterday...stuck a pin in me all over......then she said i need folic acid......not vitamin b12....why do i need folic acid.....she was not a nice doctor ..she didnt let me speak.......every few weeks ...i faint...feel sick..and very tierd...but dont know why......and go off my food...its took me 10 yrs to get to 8 stone....i was not eating proper..now i do....i feel sad ..cos i didnt get the answers i needed....i am 60..a widow...i am very active...never sit still....any help please....

The following user gives a hug of support to ^angelroses^:
caribear (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: folic acid

hi lassie,
welcome to the boards. folic acid is a form of vitamin B.
Not getting enough folic acid can cause anemia, or not enough healthy red blood cells. Having anemia can make you feel tired, cause headaches, a sore mouth and tongue, and skin that is pale. Diarrhea, palpitations, weight loss and mood swings can also occur.
be cautious tho and don't take too much as it can cause other issues.
did your doctor do blood work to confirm this diagnosis?
peace,
bluelakelady

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
^angelroses^ (04-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
(female)

^angelroses^ HB User

hiya bluelakelady
thank you for relpying...
i have had anemia for 40yrs..no one knows why..i take iron tablets on and off,
no the doctor was just not nice,she wouldnt let me ask any questions...
when i tried to ask..she said nothing.....i was thinking about what she said...and she didnt do any blood tests....so how did she get the results...
she said i dont need b12..my iron levels are fine....the pins and needles are in my head..and to stop thinking about them...she said go to doctors for folic acid..and cause i dont like taking amytriptiline...she is putting me on..noratryptiline...?..i have had a very sore tongue for a few yrs..i look pale..
i just get no help from the doctor at home....

whats the best antidepressant to take...
how can i get some sleep...just cant sleep at all...
i am active..then the pain is worse...if im not active..i will be in a wheel chair...
never spoke about fibro before...cos im scared .it will make it worse....but i do need help.....going to doctors on tuesday.by then they will have recieved the hospital diagnosis.......anything i should ask for....and thank you for your help...

Last edited by ^angelroses^; 04-14-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: just my name

The following user gives a hug of support to ^angelroses^:
caribear (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
you changed your name. i like the new one. i don't take antiDs. i have no idea what to ask for there. maybe one of the others here will. i was on ambien for over 10 years for sleep and it worked great. now i am on trazadone, so far it is working fine. also one of my daughters takes lunesta and says it works for her.
stay active. it hurts less than not being active. just pace yourself and learn your new limitiations. it's trial and error there till you find your balance.
speaking out is the first step toward finding your way with this disorder of the body. try not to be afraid. unfortunatly with your health plan you will have a harder time finding the right doctor for you. don't give up tho. be persistant, after all this is your life we are talking about and it matters.
sorry you got a crappy doctor, there seem to be alot of them floating around. i had to go thru 18 doctors and am awaiting a visit with a new rheumy later this month to replace the one i just fired. he had no ears to listen with and was just not worth my energy.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. i would ask for blood work to confirm the need for folic acid and check your b12 as well. heck have them check all your vitamin levels and minerals also. a, b, d, k, e to name a few. maybe i will think of more by morning. it's late in the day here and my brain does not last past the morning hours.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 04-13-2011 at 05:18 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

^angelroses^ HB User

hi blue,
thank you again,your a big help to me...i do stay active..since i was told i will be in a wheelchair,that was scary....i walk every were....i had my blood tested at the docs,a few week ago...think thats how the hosp ,got the results....i will see what happens on tues when im at the docs.....
has anyone on here tried ..gabapentin...?i hav been told this is good..but i dont know....
been reading a lot of posts on here..that has helped...back soon...thanks blue..

Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

hi roses,
i took it for about 10 years with no problems. then i started having brain issues, stroke like episodes. over 3 or 4 years i had 8. i read up on the meds i was taking and gaba was the only one that mentioned brain issues. i quit over 2 years ago and have had no further problems with my brain. residual damage, some right side weakness. 5 mri, 4 ct scans all showed a healthy brain with no dead zones or leisions.
it did not help pain for me. it was for restless leg syndrome and it did help slow my legs down, i would go for days without sitting because my legs just had to be moving. rls seems to have left me except at night during sleep. i still wake to a totally unmade bed. giggle
always glad to help a friend. hoping you find the best med for your needs.
peace,
blue
p.s. i ended up in a wheelchair when i first got hit by fibro. i was so lost in pain i rolled over and went down. 6 months in that puppy and one day i said, no more. gave it away, quit all meds and started walking, hiking, gardening our 18 acres and generally working my fanny off to get healthy again. the shovel and saw and mower were my work out tools.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 04-15-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: add post script

Closed Thread