It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Fibromyalgia and Hoarding??????

Has anyone watched the hoarding shows? I caught several a couple weekends ago when I was crashing for the day. There were two shows that said the ladies that were hoarders suffer from Fibromyalgia. One of them said that two years ago Jane (don't remember the name)was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and then started talking about her hoarding. It was as if they were suggesting fibro caused the hoarding problem. The other mentioned that with fibro the lady couldn't clean her mess up.

I don't personally think there is a connection, but wondered what you all thought. Any opinions?

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Hoarding??????

The only thing I can think of is the tiredness factor or finding pleasure in things when your body is your enemy. I'm not too sure that this condition actually causes hoarding. Interesting thread. . .

Kirstee

The Following User Says Thank You to kirstee For This Useful Post:
Glojer (04-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I have also watched the hoarding shows, and I think each person has their own trigger for the hoarding, often medical problems, losses, and other traumatic things that could send any of us off track...

I am not a sufferer of fibro, but as an avid Healthboard member, I have read many of their stories, and I deeply empathize with them. I know fibro is a very debilitating illness, and could contribute to many other issues. There could be some cases where hoarding could happen, but in general, I would not think there is a connection except by chance.

Bless all you fibro sufferers, I feel for you.

Janet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-16-2011), Glojer (04-17-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

I agree with Janet. I think that sometimes when we don't have proper coping mechanisms to deal with all that fibro brings, it very well could be a trigger for hoarding if the person is predisposed to it. I also watch these hoarding shows all the time. Both my mother and my grandmother showed hoarding tendencies, so I keep an eye on myself as well. These shows are a reminder of why I have to be careful about not letting things get out of hand. I also agree with Kirstee, that the exhaustion can make the problem much worse because you simply don't have the energy to clean it up. I think that while fibro is not necessarily directly linked to hoarding, it can make the problem worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to caribear For This Useful Post:
Glojer (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

I can only comment on what I know of firsthand, people who hoard animals. These people are mostly women, who have disassociated themselves from society. They initially believe they are doing a world of good, and I am certain their intentions are nothing but good, but things get out of hand quickly. I think these poor people cannot distinguish proper care and sustenance is impossible to do on ones own when one is trying to keep herds of animals healthy and fed. I understand and commend their hearts, but at some point they become overwhelmed and refuse to seek help out of embarrassment for things have gone way wrong..Unfortunately the animals are the ones to suffer, and that breaks my heart. I have over my limit of pets, but I do know I cannot save everything, and if it becomes beyond my means to care for them properly I know I have crossed the line..I do however know vet techs who are hoarders. Their hearts are in the right place, but the mind is somewhere else...I have never known of a male hoarder, so there may be something to the connection..peace and meow
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
Glojer (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hey glojer,
i don't see it. i have less stuff now than i ever did. too many things cause sensory overload. heck even my art space gets to me and it's supposed to be a mess of goodies! i started giving away my treasures a few years ago to my kids and grandkids.
i have watched the show a couple of times, but it breaks my heart to see mental illness mainfested this way. i can see a messy fibro home, but not an overflowing one.
mine gets dusty and the kitties track in yard stuff but it is surface clean and tidy. giggle, need my housekeeper again very soon!
peace,
blue

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
kirstee (04-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Glojer (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions. Sandra, I have seen a few shows where there are male hoarders, actually I think it is about 50/50 on the TV shows. Yes, it is sad about the people who hoard animals, sad for the animals.

It takes a lot of effort to go and shop or rummage for all the things that people hoard. I agree with the point that having fatigue keeps them from cleaning. I guess I just didn't like the inference that fibro caused the hoarding.

Yes, blue I keep trying to get rid of things, but that doesn't always work.....giggle. The pile of grandchildren toys keep increasing in the corner of the living room and I won't even mention the dogs toys.

Glojer

Closed Thread