It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

quiltedgarden HB Userquiltedgarden HB User
Fibromyalgia and swelling?

Does anyone out there have swelling associated with FM? I'm talking about feet, hands, face, joints....but no redness. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and swelling?

That may be arthritis as well. I dont' think, but am not sure, that swelling is part of fibro. I am finding that so many things overlap, so nothing surprises me. Feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I dunno, I have allot of Swelling these days but I think it's been from my Thyroid being low.. Do you have Thyroid problems?
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
quiltedgarden (04-19-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

Not that I've been told, I have been tested and luckily it's fine. I hope you find relief and feel better.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I sometimes have swelling of my hands. If I take my rings off at night, I cannot put them back on first thing in the morning. I have been tested for arthritis but don't seem to have it.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

yes, I have swelling. I get it in my left side of my neck, then I will get it behind my knees, my ankles. It moves around.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
(female)

No, my thyroid has checked out fine.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
(female)

Many thanks. I mostly get it in my hands and feet and perhaps the inside part of elbows.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

My hands swell pretty badly every night. Most every morning my rings are tight and I have trouble putting on my watch. I have also been recently tested for thyroid function and it's all normal. I think sodium in the diet has a lot to do with swelling too. When I eat too much salt, I swell worse.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
(female)

Thanks for your input. I am also trying to reduce sodium intake to see if that helps. Also drinking much more water than I usually do to try to flush out my system.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

My hands tend to swell at night. Sugar will make me swell more than salt. Go figure!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pammyann For This Useful Post:
quiltedgarden (04-20-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #12
(female)

HadIt HB User

Hi all!
I have fibro, and I have significant edema of my feet, ankles, fingers, face....
Interesting to hear that others have this symptom as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
(female)

Thank you HadIt, for posting your response! It's comforting to know that someone else has these same symptoms and that I don't have something new.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadIt View Post
Hi all!
I have fibro, and I have significant edema of my feet, ankles, fingers, face....
Interesting to hear that others have this symptom as well.
Had it, have you had any blood testing done to test the inflammation in your blood? I was DX'd with Fibro which I don't argue I have but I have other issues as well. My Rheumy didn't want to deal with it so she over looked the high markers I have for inflammation. My SED rate and my CRP have been very high. I found another Rheumatologist in a big city university hospital who has been doing a lot of tests has put me on other medications and I am feeling better than I have felt in YEARS. I've been sick for the last 20 + years and no one would listen. I tend to test negative for so many things but I had these high markers for inflammation. In my case it's not a matter of salt...maybe it's not in yours either.
Take care,
sharon

Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
(female)

HadIt HB User

Sharon, interesting what you said about testing for inflammation in my blood. I have had every blood test known to man, and I know that my PCP told me that my latest blood work did show that there is inflammation somewhere in my body. I too have many health issues. In addition to fibro, I have interstitial cystitis, as well as coronary artery disease, and some kind of connective tissie disorder. I never experienced edema until I was put on statins after a heart attack this month last year (I am a 44 year old female, always in good shape prior to all of this). Anyway, I developed many side effects from the statins and had to discontinue taking them, but shortly after, developed significant edema in my ankles, fingers, etc....in addition, I have strange neuro symptoms, like pain along with numbness in my face, tingling in my hands, feet, fingers and toes. All of these symptoms I have been told go hand and hand with fibro, but I am just not sure I guy it. Nobody can seem to figure anything out, and I am beyond frustrated at this point. THe facial pain and numbness is my most disturbing symptom to date. I just saw a neuro as I was convinced that some of these symptoms may indicate MS, but was told no, without the neuro even doing any tests at all....as soon as he was told I had fibro, that was it, nothing else was done....is anyone else as completely frustrated as I am?? I am on a laundry list of meds, from pain meds to gabapentin, flexeril, valium.......etc....I have also gained close to 25 pounds, again,, very hard to swallow for somebody who has always been in really good shape and has been used to working out on a consistent basis and a pretty high intensity. Sorry to ramble!! My frustration is showing!

Closed Thread