It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User
Another question about lumps

I know we've had a lot of discussions about lumps lately, but I had to ask another one.

A few weeks ago I noticed smallish lumps between the bones of my hands and feet. They are not painful on their own, but when pressure is applied they hurt for a long time afterwards. A few days ago I noticed that I now have lumps in all of the muscles of my arms, from the wrists up to the shoulders, as well as in the chest and rib muscles and my thighs as well. They are large lumps, some several inches across, and are again not painful until pressure is applied. I tried treating them with pressure the way I usually do with trigger points, but they don't release the way regular trigger points do. They are not visible through the skin, but you can feel them very easily when you run your hand down the muscle.

Any ideas?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User
Re: Another question about lumps

Yes I have them also..not sure but i think there fibroid s...?? non cancer...just there to **** us off!......ask next time at the Drs...i think that's what a dr told me a long time ago..but who knows with Us..lol....

The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I get lumps in my thighs and upper arms that hurt with applying pressure, they seem to go away after awhile but than later reappear some where else. Been gettting these for years and I think they are trigger or tender points, they sure do hurt to try to work them out, i normally let them alone or just gently massage the area.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

The following user gives a hug of support to pa235:
caribear (04-29-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

People with FMS have tender areas throughout their bodies. Most are located on or near muscles, tendons, or ligaments. Painful spots seem to move around a lot, but they don't actually vary all that much. The reality is that the most painful site of the day takes precedence and drowns out the screaming by the others. Swelling changes with fluid content, and pain is determined by what pressure is put on neighboring nerves. That's why small swellings can sometimes hurt much more than bigger ones. Pain sensitivity is largely inherited and varies in a spectrum of tolerance. These areas are non-malignant - just swelled with fluid that makes these areas very painful.

Has the massaging of those tender areas helped the pain?

Kirstee

The Following User Says Thank You to kirstee For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

No, it only seems to produce more pain. I've tried many different techniques from light friction to ischemic compression. The compression will reduce the swelling in the immediate area for a few hours, but not remove the lump. I have found a few trigger points while sifting through the muscles, but even the treatment of these points does not really help the pain much. It's just amazing to me how many of my muscles are affected by this. There are probably more areas that are affected that I can't feel because of overlying fat. I never knew fibro could do this to a person's muscles.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
(female)

75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User

Hi

I have mps as well as fibro myofacial pain syndrome to give it is full name. it is a neuromuscular disorder and is very painful it can come on its or or with fibro on its own it is often triggered by an accident that changes the chemical makeup of the muscle i think dont quote me on that lol with fibro the muscle change chemical makeup due to not being used or used in a different way to avoid pain, it is not the muscle where the problem lays it is the facia that surrounds the muscle it is a very thin substance and gets all tight and bunched up thats where you feel the lumps under the skin in the muscle, left untreated it seems to travel from bad muscle to healthy muscle and can have you bedridden but thats only in bad cases but it has effected me very bad i have them all in my thighs and rib under my armpits along the color bone and all over my stomach down to my groin, as its the facia and not the muscle muscle relaxants dont work well if you just have the odd one trigger injections can work but massage is the best way to keep them at bay but it has to be a special therapist who knows about the condition not just an orindary massage therapist, some therapist like to go in hard and put lots of pressure but i found that did not work with mine my therapist works gently to work on them and remove them, it was working well till i came down with bad muscle spasms all over my body and this chronic hip/leg nerve pain so i stopped treatment plus it is expensive and i cant afford it but the hospital i am going into tomorrow has massasge so i will start it again hopefully.

The following user gives a hug of support to 75angel:
caribear (05-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to 75angel For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-02-2011)
Closed Thread