It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User
Had a really hard day

Hey all, I have to blow off some steam again...

Today was really hard. Yesterday evening I cracked my foot on my kitchen table leg hard enough to break my three middle toenails and bruise it really badly. I considered going to the ER but felt silly about it, so I called my doc first thing and got in to see him. He thinks I may have broken not only my toes, but also one of the bones of my foot. He gave me an order for an x-ray and told me basically that I could take the percocet that my rheumy had prescribed me for the pain. I didn't even get a chance to tell him that my rheumy only gave me 15 of them to last me from April until July...Anyway, I had my x-ray done at the hospital this morning and was told that my doctor's office would call with the results. I waited all day, no phone call. So about 10 minutes before the office closed, I called them. They said the hospital had not sent the results back yet. So now I have to wait until tomorrow to find out for sure if my foot is broken or not. I can barely walk on it, it is so swollen I can't even put my toes on the ground. I keep loosing my balance because my good leg is exhausted. It took all I had to make dinner tonight. Right in the middle of cooking I just got completely overwhelmed with the pain and frustration of all this and I broke down in front of my two-year-old. I was sobbing hysterically and he was patting me on the leg asking "What's wrong, mommy?" which made me cry even harder. I'm just so tired of the constant pain, and now my feet, which were one of the only places I didn't hurt, are in agony. I tried ibuprofen and tylenol, and they don't work. And of course I'm afraid to take my fibro pain meds for it because I'm afraid of running out well before July.

I just had to let this all out. It's been an emotionally and physically exhausting ordeal.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: caribear
bluelakelady (05-04-2011), ecstasy (05-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Had a really hard day

Oh, no!

Elevate. Get that foot propped as high as possible, get some ice on it, and stop walking on it.

Do you have a cane or other orthopedic aid on hand? Maybe a rolling office chair you can get around the house with?

Do you have any Aleve on hand? Aleve or Advil are best for bone pain, if it is a bone injury.

Tomorrow, call them bright and early. You need to get this figured out pronto.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

cari, my prayers are with you. how awful! maybe your doc can give you some more pain meds if you explain about the percs. I have come to the conclusion with this fibro that NO ONE should suffer needlessly. We suffer enough as it is. xoxoxo hugs, get better and let us know! Diane

The Following User Says Thank You to biogirl71 For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. I know exactly what kind of pain that is. I broke my baby toe years ago and boy did that hurt..I can't believe nobody got that xray report where it should have gone. Sometimes I feel like the universe is loaded with ineptness and people who just don't care...I also hate the fact that to get the pain meds we need we are treated like addicts and have to watch the amount we take just to make it through to our next appts. Doesn't anyone get it???? I really hope you feel better, just what you need is something to exacerbate your fibro symptoms...and your little guy, what a sweetie..kiss him for me...Good luck honey, let us know how you are doing-
peace and love
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I do know the pain of broken toes, there is nothing wrong with crying in front of your kids when hurt. Explain your med situation when you get results today. Hopefully you aren't in as much pain today.

I broke 3 toes , they got jammed under the door as it was being opened...by me. It was almost comical because the day before i jammed the other foot and was limping already. All I could do was crawl for 2 days and no shoes for over a week. Had to start a new job in flip flops.

The following user gives a hug of support to WoodsWalker:
caribear (05-04-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

poor caribear! i am so sorry you got hurt. i have no experience with broken bones. i hear it hurts so bad it sucks your breath away. you tell that doctor about the meds and call the rheumy so he will know what is going on and why you are taking them. tell him your other doctor told you to.
sending you energy for healing quickly. yea, nothing makes you cry more than your child comforting you. that one i do know! my son used to rub my tummy after my hysterectomy and say all better tummy, all better now.
peace and healing love,
blue

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
caribear (05-04-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

Just got my results back. I had to call twice again today. The first time I asked the receptionist if it was normal for it to take so long for the results to come back, she said no but offered no explanations. The second time I called they had finally received the results. I have fractured the third and fourth toes, but luckily not the bones of the foot. They asked me to come in to have them taped together, I responded by saying that I could do that myself but explained the med situation. They said there was nothing they could do about that, and tried to schedule an appointment for me to get taped up. I told them again that I could do that myself at home. I called my rheumatologist and explained the situation. Talked to him personally, he was not at all happy. I also brought up the lumps in my arms, and he told me I needed to come in so he could check it out. He also said that we could talk about the meds situation when I go in. So I have an appointment to see him tomorrow afternoon, and I have to figure out how to drive 50 miles with two broken toes and not lose it. The only other option I have right now is to pack up my son and have my boyfriend drive all three of us down there. Not what I want to do, but better than the alternative I guess.

I have been keeping it elevated and icing it as much as possible. I don't have a cane or anything, but I think I may have to get one today. I have been taking Aleve and it does seem to help more than tylenol or ibuprofen, but I may end up having to resort to the percocet again later. My son is being fairly good, but he is still a very active boy and I have had to chase after him several times already today. When I have my foot elevated he comes up and pats my leg and says "don't cry mommy, I make it better" and kisses my foot ever so gently. Such a sweet boy. I will give him big hugs for you all today.

Thank you for the support, it makes it a lot easier to deal with this junk. <3

Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

girl if you went to the emergency room you would get better treatment. may i call your doc and rip him and his staff a new one? glad the rheumy is seeing you. take the family. you should not be driving. assume it is your driving foot? brain fog.
if you had said yes to the taping then you could face them down and be properly medicated for broken bones. i would be a total B if any doc said that to me.
peace and healing love,
blue
love your kid! what a sweetie. i was in a wheelchair for damage to my ankle and surgery when my son was 2. the only toilet was upstairs. my son used to crack up watching mommy crawl up the stairs to pee. then we would slide down together. he pushed my wheelchair for me. strong kid. i was not small then. about 180.

caribear (05-04-2011)
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
(female)

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it is my right foot. I should have gone to the ER in the first place. If it ever happens again (God forbid) I will go there instead of waiting. I didn't think about confronting the staff at my appointment, I was more concerned about how I was going to drag my son with me and keep him from running off. He's at that stage where he just wants to run everywhere and see everything. Which is great when you don't have broken toes.
Aren't they just the best little caregivers at that age? So eager to make you feel better.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

giggle, it's never too late to rake a doc over the coals. get em next time you go in or even better a letter. assume it was staff that was not helpful or did you actually talk to your close by doc? if it was staff the doctor ought to want to know if staff is not professional. if it's the doc, go shopping girl!
hug your little one, giggle, mine is 32 years old now. still offers to come take care of me. no way tho. not old enough yet! giggle. he can change my poopy diapers in 25 years. that should be fun! yuck.
bye bye for now.
peace and healing light,
blue

caribear (05-04-2011)
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Wow, I hope you feel better. Xmas eve my grandson ran into me full force and jarred my fingers, I immmediately took my rings off and good I did as I still can't put them back on.that finger is still sore and the knuckle is swollen even though I put ice on. Two weeks ago I jammed the finger next to it in the car door, that entire finger is still swollen and hurts, they are on my left hand and I am a lefty. I guess I should have gone to the ER but would feel like a baby plus I thought about the $50 co-pay and opted not to. I made the wrong choice I am sure.

We have enough pain we don't have inflict more, lol. Hope you are better soon, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

The following user gives a hug of support to pa235:
caribear (05-04-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to pa235 For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-04-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Feel better Caribear!! Broken toes are NOT fun!!! xoxoxoxo
peace and love and toddler hugs
Sandra

The following user gives a hug of support to tooolgrl:
caribear (05-05-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-05-2011)
Closed Thread