It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
(female)

Lilly238 HB User
Unhappy STUPID MISTAKE... what should I do??!!

Hello everyone,

Gosh it's been awhile since I've checked in and caught up on the Board, I've missed you! I'm extremely worried about my appointment with my Pain Management Doctor tomorrow and I'm despite for any advice or ideas.... This morning I made a terrible mistake and took my roommates coffee instead of mine (our mugs are identical) and I drank the whole thing. God bless caffeine! After I drank it all, I became extremely ill and I spent the whole morning barfing my brains out. I had to leave work and go home because I was that sick. I had no idea what was wrong with me until my roommate called me to tell me that they didn't feel well either which we then put two and two together. Come to find out my roommate puts their medication in their coffee in the mornings because their not able to swallow pills very well and the taste alone they can't stand. I'm terrified that I might get drug tested at my appointment tomorrow. Does anyone know how often a PM Clinic will drug test you?? This is a follow-up appointment because I was prescribed vicodone 15 days ago because my doctor made a mistake when doing the injections and they're going to see if this medication helped me at all or switch it etc.. I've been with this PM Clinic for a little over a month now (started 3/28/11) and I was drug tested that first visit. I don't know if I should let them know about my coffee mishap so that they may know beforehand if they decide to drug test me OR should I just leave it as is incase they don't test me??!! I'm also worried about my medication mixing with my roommates because of how sick I was. I've never given my PM Doctor any reason to not trust me and I've never abused my medication or any other. This happens to be really embarrassing for me and makes me look bad to my doctor. I completely take full responsibility for my actions but this was simply an honest mistake. I'm really scared right now that this stupid mistake just might have jeopardized all my medical treatment.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Lilly238
caribear (05-04-2011), catkaru (05-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User
Re: STUPID MISTAKE... what should I do??!!

HI! What meds were in the coffee??? As far as drug tests go, my PM docs are quite random. I did not have one until I had been going there almost a year! Depends on whether they are just doing a screen (generally opiates, cocaine, mj, pcp, amphetamines) or if they are looking for something in particular. Would help if I knew what was in the coffee...hugs, Diane

The Following User Says Thank You to biogirl71 For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

One question, why do these docs do drug testing if they are prescribing you drugs?? I am completely and utterly baffled..What is wrong with this world??

We have fibro, which means we have pain. Pain needs pain relief. Which for most of us means something opiate derived. I am so glad I do not have to deal with all of that and just see my NP and tell her when my month is up and I need a new RX...Does coffee mask the taste of vicodin I wonder???

Good luck sweetie on this one..xo
peace
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

take a deep breath lilly. tell the truth. tell the doc what happened and ask if you need to be concerned about what it can do to you. tho i doubt any is left after barfing up your insides.
perhaps, just perhaps, you may be projecting your feelings about this onto your doctor? why if told the truth, would he think any thing bad about you? the proper reaction would be to find out what was in the coffee and make sure you are okay.
so glad you are okay! relax and tell the doc.
tool they drug test at many pain clinics so they won't have addiction issues to deal with. they have a horrid history of addiction so they got wise and test patients to make sure they are within the peramators (sp?) allowed for the meds and # scripted. my pain doc does not do that with me. but then i am not on meds for pain. just procedures.
peace,
bluelakelady

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

The main thing is I hope you and your room mate are okay, this could have been a serious mistake. But with fibro I think we all make mistakes often and have to think about things we do before we do them.

hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

The Following User Says Thank You to pa235 For This Useful Post:
Lilly238 (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
(female)

Lilly238 HB User
Smile Re: STUPID MISTAKE... what should I do??!!

Thank you so much everyone for getting back to me! I'm so relieved that today's PMC visit is over with! Yesterday was a hard day for me and I was pretty shakin up. My roommate is prescribed something "LIKE" Methadone which is to treat drug addiction OR for relieving pain. When you mix this medication with Vicodone etc. it has a reverse effect on you and that's why I got so sick. My roommate puts it in their coffee because this medication usually is taken by placing it under the tongue and then let it dissolve... my roomy can't stand the taste of it and they put it in their coffee when their running late because it's a strong flavor and a fast way to take it when their on the go! They'll usually put it in yogurt or apple sauce. Trust me I'm thinking the same as you all... my roomy is weird LOL!!
I decided to let my doctor know the situation with the accidental coffee swap as soon as I arrived. They did NOT drug test me... they only test every so often OR if you give them a reason to not trust you. I wanted to make sure that I didn't lose everything I have going for me over a stupid mistake. He was VERY understanding and glad I wasn't seriously hurt. He changed my Vicodone to Oxycodone because of my stomache being so sensitive (especially after yesterdays barfing incident) and gave me a 2-week pack of SAVELLA to try. Does anyone know if this works well for their Fibromyalgia? My health insurance won't cover my LYRICA (which I've been taking free samples from my doctor and I like a lot) until I've tried everything else first. Insurance companies can be a real pain in the *** LOL!!
I know a lot of you might think that I was out of my mind for telling my doctor but, I'm the type of person to not hold back when it comes to being honest and trustworthy. I make my point and take full responsibility for my actions. Most importantly, I want to maintain my contract with this pain management office because they are the reason I have my life back. I've learned a huge lesson in all of this and as soon as I was done with my appointment today, I went out and bought my very own DIFFERENT coffee mug hehe!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Lilly238:
caribear (05-05-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

Lilly238 HB User

I'm so relieved I told my doctor everything. This was the right thing to do! I feel so much better and he was VERY understanding and changed my medication so it was easier on my stomache after getting so sick yesterday! I'm very lucky that it wasn't worse! Thank you!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
(female)

Lilly238 HB User

I can take my medication orally but unfortunately my roommate cannot. The medication they take is suppose to be put on or under your tongue and dissolved but my roomy can't take the taste of it. They will use coffee when their in a rush in the morning because it's a strong flavor and easy for when their on the go! Usually my roommate will put it in yoguart or applesauce. My roomy is a little strange but we were both lucky because this could have been a lot worse then it was! Thank you!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

I am so glad to hear that things went well for you!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

the truth is always the best path to take. happy endings. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 05-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

The other reason they drug test is because they want to be sure that you are testing positive for opiates. If you test negative, e.g. no opiates, then you can get into a lot of trouble because it could mean that a patient is selling their drugs. A big no-no in PM. Not to mention that it's illegal to do so. You did good Lilly!! Honesty is a must in PM...janiee

Closed Thread