It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Doctors do think we are just depressed

The rhematologist I saw today said most people have fibromyalgia because they are depressed. She said I don't even fit the criteria for that because I don't have any trigger points. It's her more likely diagnosis though if she was to guess. Pretty much said no meds would probably ever help me. I never met a doctor so stupid in my life. Long story, I don't feel like explaining right now.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: neveragain444
caribear (05-05-2011), Glojer (05-07-2011), sjb (05-09-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User
Re: Doctors do think we are just depressed

What a complete IDIOT (I had another description in mind, but they don't like those words used on here LOL).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I was there for evaluation of MCTD. She said I don't fit the criteria for anything. She said the only symptoms I have are muscle pain and fatigue and that could mean anything, she tried implying it means nothing. Well that is not true. I don't know where she got that, because I didn't tell her that when she had me fill out the form of problems. Let me see if I can remember them all.

General: fatigue, weight gain, trouble sleeping
Gastrointestinal: gerd, ulcers, barrett's esophagus, gastritis, esophagitis, IBS, diverculitis
Lungs: have had 2 past dx of pleurisy but no xrays to confirm, shortness of breath, mild scarring on left lung base
Heart: chest pain, PVC's, long bigeminal rhythms (now am being evaluated for a heart blockage - that she doesn't know)
Hematology (blood): low white blood cell counts
Kidneys/bladder: renal stones, UTI's, interstitial cystitis, frequency, urgency, pressure, burning, blood in urine, past traces of protein
Joint & muscle: leg cramps, hip pain, spinal pain, severe joint pain with exercise, muscle spasms (now getting weekness in my fingers w/ pain running in my wrists, I did not tell her this, why bother?)
Neurological: burning, cooling sensations, numbness in feet, sometimes in neck/back, shooting sensations, pins and needle sensations, widespread tingling
Nose, throat, ears: past ear infections, tinnititus, chronic congestion, severe dryness in nose, nasal bleeds (from blowing my nose), nonallergic rhinititis, turbinate swelling, deviated septum, mouth sores, lip ulcers
Mood: clinical depression, anxiety, ADD
Also added that I have had B12, Vit D deficiancy, severe congenital issues

She said CFS meant the same thing as FMS and that CFS was not due to immune system issues. She kept going on and on about no cause for this stuff and how fibromyalgia is mostly due to depression. I was told to exercise, when I explained the shortness of breath, chest pain, and how it causes severe joint pain when I continue exercising daily, that I couldn't develop a tolerance to it, didn't matter to her. I told her it didn't matter to me either cause I could not go up to a gym to exercise in a pool when I did not have the energy to go. She let me know it's mind over matter, that I can be as active as I teach myself to be. I do good to get up and clean house, I am so sure.

She mentioned antidepressants like cymbalta and savella, said they likely wouldn't help if she did prescribe them. Doesn't believe in prescribing muscle relaxants and narcotics. Could try me on plaquenil again but it would probably do no good. Then she said I could quit taking neurontin (my neuro has me on) if I wanted to, that it wouldn't make a difference if I did quit taking it. How stupid is she? My back pain was so severe before I started taking that, that I could have put a pistol in my mouth. Really good advice stupid doctor.

Last edited by neveragain444; 05-05-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

I'm so sorry neveragain. I know how you feel. I think there are a bunch of doctors out there who became doctors because of the money, not to help people. Either that or somewhere along the way they lost that caring spark that made them want to study medicine in the first place. I just had my own run-in with my idiot (soon to be ex) rheumy.

I also think that there are some doctors out there who cannot tolerate the idea that there are things that they can't see, can't test, can't fix. So they decide that these things just don't exist. It's easy enough to just slap the depression label on it and sweep it under the rug. Whatever the reason, we all know that you are not just depressed, that your pain is very real, and that there are treatments that could help you if your doc would try them. I'm sorry she is so closed-minded. Maybe you could find a new one with a little more compassion and sense?

<3

Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes I can, thank you. I really think doctors need to open their minds up to fibromyalgia instead of believing the nonsense that it's all in your head, & in turn, not really helpful to us at all. Even if it is depression related, they should find out instead of playing an assuming game with our health. Depression is no one's fault and you shouldn't be made to feel like it's nothing, if it is part of your problems.

Anyone with fibromyalgia, I think you need this:

If antidepressants do help you tremendously, maybe you should consider that your serotonin levels are out of balance, and making you feel sick. I don't think cymbalta qualifies with that, as it also treats nerve pain.

I think if muscle relaxants work for you, they should assume the pain is for muscular reasons and give you options for helping that. Maybe even do some muscle biopsy's to see if it's inflammatory.

If NSAID's work, or if joint pain is also part of the problem, they should test you for arthritic issues, bone scans, biopsy's, whatever needs to be done if you aren't clearly showing visible inflammation.

If you have nerve pain, or neurontin, lyrica, helps, they should send you to a neurologist. You should be evaluated for MS (central neuropathy), or peripheral neuropathy, and find out why that's occuring.

If plaquenil or prednisone helps, you really need evaluation of autoimmune disease. ANA testing and whatever else to investigate that problem.

I have read through stories after stories, and I believe alot of you are like me, and maybe have a mild autoimmune disease that is not fitting the criteria quite right and in turn, hendering a proper diagnosis.

When I got sick, it started out as years of severe fatigue, no pain, but the pain ended up becoming a problem also, and muscle weakness. I had no depression whatsover. But several years later, after my divorce, I went through a severe depressive disorder and I got to where I couldn't mentally cope with the illness. I am not depressed now, and I know this can't be blamed on depression. Geez, would be nice, then I could pop some antidepressants and feel all better. It doesn't work that way for me. That does not help me.

Muscle relaxants help me if I have muscular strain, that is all they work for. NSAID's help. Toradol may be the most amazing thing I've ever used. It helps my nerve pain and all the rest, my fatigue even improves somewhat from the relief of pain. Neurontin helps but pain still breaks through, it makes me sleep like a baby. Plaquenil made me feel like I was 20 again, gave me my energy back and helped everything else in the process. I am currently back on plaquenil.

I can only go on my positive ANA & RNP right now, and where I have had low white blood cell counts, and how I have responded tremendously to antimalarial medications. I may not be deathly sick from this showing low RBC's or low platelets, or fluid on my heart and lungs, or even any swelling, but I know without a questionable doubt it's there. And I will never let a doctor treat me like it's nothing again, if they do, they can kiss off. I will not put up with it.

Make them look into the causes of your fibromyalgia. Don't put up with a I don't know what's causing it. How many of your doctors have tested your muscles/joints/nerves with biopsy's for inflammation? Just doesn't happen does it? They rely on ESR and such and it could still be there even if that is negative. How many of you have had a bone scan? I for one, have never had one. They run blood tests and say awww your okay. They are not properly evaluating you by doing that. Have you had MRI's on your areas of pain? Naa not me. It just doesn't make sense to me why they don't do appropriate testing.

The following user gives a hug of support to neveragain444:
caribear (05-06-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to neveragain444 For This Useful Post:
caribear (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I think Drs. don't understand or don't want to understand this disease so they use anything to cop out, I was never told i was depressed because i don't have that but was told the pain is from anxiety which I do have.Is it any wonder we have depression or anxiety with this DD.

hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Any chronic disease is capable of causing depression and anxiety. I was fine when all this happened. I was going to church. My marriage was fine. Had 2 adorable little kids. Life was not stressful then like it is now.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User

You are so right! I thought my rheumy was terrible, but we have lately come to a meeting of the minds (mostly mine). This doctor is a quack and I hope you never see this doctor again. After going to and leaving her office, if you weren't depressed, you were when you left.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think it just stressed me out more than anything having to listen to that garbage. I kind of thought my primary doctor thought I was just depressed for awhile. I tell him I have things wrong and he's not very responsive as far as looking into it or treating it. I know I got on here and ran my mouth, but I think I was a little harsh in judgement on that one. He's never once uttered out of his mouth this was nothing like that old bat did. Hopefully I can rely on him to step in and help after I tell him what happened. I kind of don't even want another rheumatologist, just don't want to deal with trying to prove something I feel like I already have, and have already been diagnosed with twice in the past. They can call this whatever they want, as long as I have medications that make me feel better, and a doctor willing to keep an eye on me, it's all that matters.

The following user gives a hug of support to neveragain444:
caribear (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
(male)

ecstasy HB Userecstasy HB Userecstasy HB User

uh ya doctors are retarded. That's because they aren't trained to treat and heal the body as a whole, they're trained to treat various symptoms and match them with drugs. Most doctors don't have a clue about nutrition which is the most important thing for good health.

The only doctor that I actually got help from was a naturopathic. They actually listen to you because they know that fatigue and pain aren't just in the head... It just pisses me off how ignorant traditional doctors are.

It's because pharma companies have a HUGE influence on what is taught in medical schools.

Like I went to countless traditional doctors and NOT ONE asked me how my diet was. As long as I wasn't overweight that's the only thing they think eating unhealthy affects someone. It wasn't until I started looking for answers on my own and researched a lotttt.

Like when I went to a naturopathic one of the first things they asked is what kind of foods I ate.

Last edited by ecstasy; 05-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

My doctor told me to lose weight, exercise, decrease fats, greasy food, tries to get me to quit smoking, mainly where I've had cholesterol issues & shortness of breath. My diet is healthier now but it's not stopping the stress test I have to get next week. I'm a little scared. Today when I went to the store, I came back out short of breath and having the chest pain, and checked my pulse, and it was skipping beats. I didn't know it did that when I got that way.

I don't think all of our doctors are dumb. LOL. I have some wonderful physicians. This rhematologist is the only one I don't like.

I have also went to a neuropathic doctor in the past, and I went to a RN who dealt in healing naturally. The stuff she put me on for my immune system was not helpful. Some of the things she tried me on could actually make me worse. Nothing phased this fatigue. Nothing otc helped my sleep problems. Only thing I did find useful was Seacure and digestive enzymes, which I really need to get into the habit of using again.

Without pharmaceutical medication, I will never be able to get rid of this fatigue. I would not be able to sleep. And I would be in so much pain, I'd probably put a gun to my head.

I love my doctors to death. Thank god they are there to help me. And they are so sweet. I never have to worry about them making me feel bad for complaining too much. They listen, and most of the time, do what they can to help.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
(female)

Tazzygojane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
Yes I can, thank you. I really think doctors need to open their minds up to fibromyalgia instead of believing the nonsense that it's all in your head, & in turn, not really helpful to us at all. Even if it is depression related, they should find out instead of playing an assuming game with our health. Depression is no one's fault and you shouldn't be made to feel like it's nothing, if it is part of your problems.

Anyone with fibromyalgia, I think you need this:

If antidepressants do help you tremendously, maybe you should consider that your serotonin levels are out of balance, and making you feel sick. I don't think cymbalta qualifies with that, as it also treats nerve pain.

I think if muscle relaxants work for you, they should assume the pain is for muscular reasons and give you options for helping that. Maybe even do some muscle biopsy's to see if it's inflammatory.

If NSAID's work, or if joint pain is also part of the problem, they should test you for arthritic issues, bone scans, biopsy's, whatever needs to be done if you aren't clearly showing visible inflammation.

If you have nerve pain, or neurontin, lyrica, helps, they should send you to a neurologist. You should be evaluated for MS (central neuropathy), or peripheral neuropathy, and find out why that's occuring.

If plaquenil or prednisone helps, you really need evaluation of autoimmune disease. ANA testing and whatever else to investigate that problem.

I have read through stories after stories, and I believe alot of you are like me, and maybe have a mild autoimmune disease that is not fitting the criteria quite right and in turn, hendering a proper diagnosis.

When I got sick, it started out as years of severe fatigue, no pain, but the pain ended up becoming a problem also, and muscle weakness. I had no depression whatsover. But several years later, after my divorce, I went through a severe depressive disorder and I got to where I couldn't mentally cope with the illness. I am not depressed now, and I know this can't be blamed on depression. Geez, would be nice, then I could pop some antidepressants and feel all better. It doesn't work that way for me. That does not help me.

Muscle relaxants help me if I have muscular strain, that is all they work for. NSAID's help. Toradol may be the most amazing thing I've ever used. It helps my nerve pain and all the rest, my fatigue even improves somewhat from the relief of pain. Neurontin helps but pain still breaks through, it makes me sleep like a baby. Plaquenil made me feel like I was 20 again, gave me my energy back and helped everything else in the process. I am currently back on plaquenil.

I can only go on my positive ANA & RNP right now, and where I have had low white blood cell counts, and how I have responded tremendously to antimalarial medications. I may not be deathly sick from this showing low RBC's or low platelets, or fluid on my heart and lungs, or even any swelling, but I know without a questionable doubt it's there. And I will never let a doctor treat me like it's nothing again, if they do, they can kiss off. I will not put up with it.

Make them look into the causes of your fibromyalgia. Don't put up with a I don't know what's causing it. How many of your doctors have tested your muscles/joints/nerves with biopsy's for inflammation? Just doesn't happen does it? They rely on ESR and such and it could still be there even if that is negative. How many of you have had a bone scan? I for one, have never had one. They run blood tests and say awww your okay. They are not properly evaluating you by doing that. Have you had MRI's on your areas of pain? Naa not me. It just doesn't make sense to me why they don't do appropriate testing.
I have suffered with Fibromyalgia and Degenerative Arthritis for years which became compounded with diabetes and obstructive sleep apnea. I was put on the Fentanyl Pain Patch few years ago and got a 360 degree turnaround. I take Hydrocodone 10/325 for breakthrough pain and celexa, ambien at night for sleep and all in all, I am coping so much better I invested in a Hot Tub which gives me constant relief when I think people who can't understand unless in our shoes is too much to bear, I go for a few minutes alone...works as a charm.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Duragesic seems to keep working for you for the most part? I used those once in the past, and after 6 mths I started feeling my pain again, and they doubled my dosage which made me pretty sick. It also caused my GERD. I really don't want to use narcotics but I have to find something that is going to replace Toradol and work as well because that stuff is just too risky to cause kidney disease. The only other thing I think that might work is prednisone but I'm scared that will put alot of weight on me.

How long have you been on ambien? I took it for 11 years for the most part. It got to where it controlled my sleep. If I didn't take it one night, I wouldn't sleep at all, when I did take it, it was 6 hrs of sleep and that is it, so here I'm getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning and can't go back to sleep without another sleeping pill. I even got to the point that the 6 hrs I was getting, I was waking up throughout the night. Ambien though, is the only sleeping pill that worked with me, until I started using neurontin at bedtime, so I don't need it anymore. And ambien was so addictive for me. I ended up mis-using it to control pain or with sleep, & I told my doctor to never give it back to me again.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

My opinion of the medical profession has gone down and down since I developed fibro. Once I was referred to a rheumatologist (on the suggestion of my sports therapist not my GP!!) he was quick to make the diagnosis which was given to me on my second visit - I was then told that he didn't need to see me again and that knowledge/positive attitude and exercise were the key to managing fibro. To some extent I agree with him however there are times when it's useful to bounce ideas around (hurrah for this forum) I made the decision to go down the natural path and have pretty much got the flairs under control by reducing my working week from 5 days to 3, sleeping well, walking lots etc etc
However..............my fibro was triggered by a car accident - I'm in litigation as I was rear ended and the thing that really p's me off is that none of the rheumatologists can agree about anything - One said 2 years ago the accident caused it, now he's saying it didn't - one says I can work full time and that I'll make a full recovery but when I said that to me making a full a recovery was being the person I was before the accident and that was a marathon runner he implied I was deluded and that I needed to lower my expectations!!!! They contradict themselves and each other all the time and if you ask me are mainly talking out of their bottoms!!!!!!!
When I go to see one of the GP's none of them know much about fibro and I have to say I feel far more informed than they are - what I find myself doing now is going and telling them what I want to happen rather than asking them. I even photocopied a canadian medical journal on fibro for them as it was really well written and pragmatic from both a GP's perspective and a patients perspective - I never did get a response!!!
I think there are some great/brilliant doctors out there (my brother is one) however they seem to choose any other field rather than rheumotology (I know there are some great rheumotologists out there somewhere I just haven't met one - YET!!!
PS I've never suffered from depression (in fact I'm the opposite) However I can imagine if you can't get the flairs under control and therefore have constant 24/7 fibro flair pain it would be enough to make anyone depressed!

Last edited by thesweetlife; 05-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I agree with sweetlifes's take on docs. There are good ones and bad ones and you have to weed them out. That said, it is also the way you talk to the docs. I have always been one to not act like I'm about ready to die.....of course unless I was......giggle! I have had friends and family go to the same doc I do and get all kinds of information and not get brushed off and get meds to help them out, when I would leave the same docs office with no meds and a your blood work is fine, just try to get some rest and eat healthier. I am not exaggerating. So I started trying to find out what they say, or how they act that is different than me. Not much luck there, so I started reading everything I could find about how to talk to your doc and what they are looking for etc. The best thing I read was an article from a doctor that explained how they are taught and how most of them listen. He explained if you say this, the doc hears this. Sorry been so long ago I can't remember specific examples. Anyway it really does matter how you communicate with your doctor. I will say that it has helped me over the years.

Neveragain, I totally agree that saying FM is just depression is bull 'you know what'. I am not depressed and have never been depressed. I get the fatigue so bad sometimes, it takes all my energy just to breathe. That has nothing to do with depression, because with the right treatment it goes away. If you are diagnosed with MCTD (I am UCTD) why does your rheumy not treat you for that. I have always followed what my doc suggested or prescribed. Even when it was vallium and vitamins. Couldn't take the vallium, made me spacey weird and couldn't take the vitamins, gave me diarrhea. So he finally realized I had a legitimate pain and started treating me for it. I never once asked him to treat my fibro, I always let my PCP do that. As a matter of fact, I thought he didn't believe in it. So we never talked about it. I found out a few weeks ago he does believe in it. Doesn't matter I want him to treat the sero negative arthritis and pain I have.

Anyway just wanted you all to know I understand your frustration. I think many of us have. If you have time, maybe you can research some of the how to talk to your doc or how your doc listens to you things. It was an eye opener. I think because I am such an optimist and have a high pain threshold and really just grew up with...you just keep going no matter what family.

Hang in there!
Glojer

Closed Thread