It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

tt58r HB User
Newbie- I hate doctors

Hi, everyone. I'm new here but I've had fibro for almost twenty years. I used to have it under control but I've been slowly deteriorating the last few years. It is so frustrating as nothing I've done is stopping the progression. The best I can say is that I've slowed it down. But after this last miserable winter I have to admit that I'm almost back to where I was 15 years ago. I'm really here to rant about my doctors. They have referred me to therapy. three different doctors and each has tried to pass me off to therapists. And all for different reasons. Mostly I suspect because they don't know what else to do. I am currently taking nortriptylene, gabapentin, bubroprian, Prozac, etodolac, and Vicodin. I also take vitamin d, calcium,magnesium,B12,coQ10, and evening primrose oil. I probably take other things but I can't remember what.
What really makes me crazy is this attitude they have that if I just exercised more then I would be fine. They don't seem to realize that as important as gentle exercise is, it is NOT a cure. There is such a fine line between enough exercise and too much. And unfortunately my tolerance for exercise is disappearing. I become breathless just emptying the dishwasher. Sometimes it feels like my muscles have turned to Lead. The exhaustion is so overwhelming that I can't think straight. It is just so insulting for the doctors to assume That I'm not doing everything possible to get the fibro stabilized. I want to scream!!! Sometimes..... %^ $#& I just forgot what I was writing.

The following 6 users give hugs of support to: tt58r
biogirl71 (05-08-2011), caribear (05-07-2011), kirstee (05-07-2011), monalisa24 (05-11-2011), thefarm (05-12-2011), VintageKym (05-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Newbie- I hate doctors

I can relate with the pain and shortness of breath. I get dizzy spells empting my dish washer, any bending can cause it. I am not sure if it is FM or cervical problems, allergies, etc. I was dxed in 1982, and with aging and that those special treats like arthritis that go along with aging we sure can not say the golden years.

They are having a lot of articles in our paper about fish oil, today the article says it helps with muscle pain, I have been taking 2 grams per day for over a year and see no difference.

Welcome to the board, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Sending gentle hugs your way. It can be an expensive and long journey to find the right doctor, and I can relate to your experience. It might help to read some books so that you are as educated as can be when you see the doctor. There are a couple of books that really helped me: "From Fatigued to Fantastic" by Teitlebaum and "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by St. Amand. I'm sure there is information about these two doctors on the internet as well.

Healing thoughts are sent to you!
Kirstee

Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

tt58r, welcome to the boards. Oh yes, whoever said fibromyalgia was not progressive....well.....I will kindly say, they didn't know what they were talking about. My fibro is getting worse over the years, but yet I too can get it under control for normal living for periods of time.

Fish oil is suppose to be very good for joints and pain etc., but you cannot take it if you are taking blood thinners. We forgot that and my husband started having bad coumadin checks. OOPS! Eating a lot of salad and green vegies is not good with coumadin either. Just wanted to put that thought in your head before I suggest an herb to try, be sure and make sure it will go with any meds you are taking. Turmeric is suppose to be good for joints. I have read this so many times and I use to take it every day in capsule form. I think it must have helped because I ran out and didn't reorder it. I am now dealing with more joint pain and getting new meds from docs etc. I had forgotten about it until just now. I ordered vitamins just the other day and didn't order that. I get mine from Puritans Pride, if you go online they sometimes have sales where you buy one get one free or buy two and get 3 free. It says Turmeric is known for it's immune supporting properties.

I can relate to the fatigue and not able to breath. When I got that bad, my PCP prescribed an Advair inhaler. It actually helped. I took all the breathing tests etc. and passed them all. Due to my old PCP moving, I now have a new one. She would not refill the Advair and told me to exercise harder to make me breath deeper. Well...DUH!

Again Welcome to the boards,
Glojer

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Glojer
kirstee (05-12-2011), tt58r (05-11-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

tt58r,

hi!! very nice to meet you. sorry you are feeling so bad. i was diagnosed about a year ago. I have been in a mad flare the whole time. got worse lately after a bout of the flu and strep throat. yes, Drs can be sooooo frustrating. i really like my pain docs so far. been going there since aug of last yr. we are still trying things. xoxo gentle hugs, diane

The following user gives a hug of support to biogirl71:
tt58r (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

tt58r HB User

Exercise Harder?!? I really wonder about some doctors.
I haven't tried turmeric yet but I will. I have often found that I can't tell if something is helping until I stop taking it Thank you.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

I see your from Lynnwood WA. im in Maple Valley. hi!
yes this winter was terrible for our pain! plus all the nasty bugs that went around. was sick from Sept till about the middle of April! with one bug or another, even a sinus Infection and then walking pneumonia, been well (bug wise) for about 3 weeks? but now my daughter is sick ,so you know what that means..UUGGHH! but just wanted to say hi neighbor..

Hugs MonaLisa...

Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
(female)

Orangee HB User

Hugs to you! I hate them too! My Dr. told me I had fake symptoms and used words like "imaginary" and "fake" to describe them back to me! I asked him politely if he was having a bad day and he responded, "Don't you try to analyze me!" I was so upset, I started crying. A nurse had to come in and comfort me! Granted, I have heart palpatations and I mentioned this as one of my "fake symptoms," so he wanted to do an EKG (what.. to find out if I was lying or not????!!). So he did the EKG and I had to pay for it after he told me that it was abnormal, but that was probably HIS FAULT for upsetting me!!! Can you believe that??? .... I swear!!! Argh!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Orangee
kirstee (05-12-2011), monalisa24 (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Isn't that the truth, you take meds and vitamins and eventually you run out or get tired of taking them and suddenly your feeling extra pain or tired or other things and you just don't know why. That happens to me all the time. I have never been one of those people who can notice and remember when this pain started or that problem happens at a certain time of year. I just go with the flow and sometimes, just like that blind squirrel, I find a nut!!!!!

Glojer

The following user gives a hug of support to Glojer:
monalisa24 (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

@Glojer

You are a NUT!!!..lol...sorry i just had tooooooooooooo..lol...

The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
Glojer (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Monalisa, That is one of the nicest things any one could say to me. I'm not kidding, being a nut means I can take lemons and make lemonade. And boy don't we fibromights have to do that a lot......giggle!

Peace and Pain free days,
Glojer

The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
monalisa24 (05-13-2011)
Closed Thread