It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

fireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB User
Has anyone ever had--

Has anyone ever had something strange work really well on your fibro symptoms?? Back in 2009 I took some benedryl for what I thought were seasonal allergies (sore throat plus a strange rash on my hands). It never did help my allergies but I felt so much better in regards to my fibro. At first I thought maybe it was in my head and have gone off several times to find my symptoms come back.

My internist and rhuemy cannot figure out why this would make me feel better and both keep telling me they want me off it and to try all these other drugs to see if they help the same way. They have tried anxiety meds and meds to help me sleep (as they think it may be helping me sleep). But my sleep patterns do not change when I am off or on the benedryl.

Last time I was at my internist we fought because I refuse to take any more anti depression meds or anxiety meds because they make me feel so much worse- I was basically bedridden and couldn't walk through a grocery store without extreme fatigue and muscle aches. I am back on my benedryl and feeling very good. I have been able to garden, walk, canoe, clean, etc. I almost feel back to normal- just lacking some muscle tone that I used to have.

I am at a loss as to why I feel so much better on this strange med but just wonder if I am the only one to find such a strange relief--

Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Has anyone ever had--

hi,
hey, whatever works is what you do. for each of us it is different. i take one every night and have for 16 years. i have no idea why it helps but it does. benadryl has many uses, mayhaps you have found another? good for you telling the doc no. pity you had to argue to get across to him.
happy to hear you are doing better.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I take a benadryl every night to help me sleep. I have done it for about 4 years now. It works great. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It also helps me with seasonal allergies which are in full force right now. I just added Zyrtec for the spring time.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
(female)

fireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB Userfireflyfields HB User

Thanks for the support! It just seems so strange. I stuck with it until March 2010 when it felt like it was no longer working. That is when my internist put me on the depression meds. I never felt very good and eventually started the benedryl again. Have had to fight each doctor who wants me off of them- even though they admit they are not hurting me. They are just at a loss as to why i feel better on benedryl!

I have had sleepless nights after taking it as well as nights that I wake up a ton so I don't think it really contributes to a better sleep- but maybe. I know nothing else has come close- no matter what I am told it will do.

I love having my life back. So unless benedryl does something really super horrible to me- I am sticking with them!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

HHMMM i may try this..i have bad allergies all yr long or its my hubby's dog? but i live on mucinex cause i spin if i don't.
also i take a decongestant 2x day...
@Blue,.. it comes in pill form? and is this the reg benedryl

Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

yes regular benadryl. i get it prescription so i can get 50mg capsules. it also comes in pill or capsule form as an otc at 25mg. also in tylenol p.m. at 25mg. i have allergies and only take it at night so i can breath. with sjogrens i am hesitant to take anything during the day that dries me out. got enough of that, giggle.
peace,
blue

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
monalisa24 (05-17-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

The prescription dose is 50mg, so taking two is like taking one of the RX dose.
I have been taking it for a long time as well. I don't take it every night anymore, as I have been sleeping pretty good with the flexeril, but if I am stuffy I take two. During the day I wouldn't take it, unless you don't have to go anywhere because it does make you drowsy. My mom takes one every night, that's all she needs. It is good stuff and you can get the generic dirt cheap..
peace and love
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
monalisa24 (05-18-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

hhmm.. was talking to the hubby last night about this..antihistamines make me tired bad!...i take Mucinex an a decongestant and two 3mgs melatonin at night....

i want to get off mucinex....it costs sooo much! id like to be off all but Ive tried so many times an i cant handle the pressure in my head ,,ears ..and i start to spin sooo bad!..don't know what to do..

last time i went to the DRs and said what i took she looked at me funny an said why aren't you just taking a allergy medicine...i said because back in Oct 08 i crashed my motorcycle head on an fractured my skull an ear drum so i took mucinex due to the severe mucus and spinning that started..

hhmm its so hard to stop something that kinda works,,you know...

Closed Thread