It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

Juliel85 HB User
No refreshing sleep in 10 years :(

I have had a problem with sleep for 10 years. When I wake up in the morning I feel like I didnt sleep, even though I was in bed for 9-10 hours and thought I was sleeping. My sleep study showed Alpha Wave Intrusion/Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome but didnt offer me a lot more than that. I have symptoms of Fibromyalgia as well.

What can be done about Alpha Intrusions? Just Xyrem? That seems like such a frightening medication.

I have been tested for everything and tried so many things. Vitamins, supplements, CPAP machine, gluten free diet, losing weight, exercising. The one constant in my life since age 17 is that I feel awful in the morning and I've very tired/achy throughout the day. Sometimes I can't make it to work because I can't get out of bed. Its truly painful.

Any thoughts...please...

Old 05-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: No refreshing sleep in 10 years :(

hi julie,
you are the first person i have met with alpha intrusion! me too!! giggle. also dsps! did you know we are rare? we are! 1 on 100,000 have it and 1 in 500,000 are aware of it and have sleep deprivation. for a decade i took ambien every night. i got used to it after that much time. i take trazadone right now and it does not work as well. i wake tired again.
is there something else that is causing your doctor to offer xyrem? do you have narcolepsy? perhaps you can tell your doctor to try ambien or one of the sister drugs to it first? i'd question that one too!
there are other choices. i am taking a break from ambien in the hope that it will work again after said break. the trazadone does not work on the brain the same way so my brain is awake all night again, just not me. i know you know what i mean!
has your brain turned to mush? mine did! once you do get restful sleep you will be amazed how quickly the body and brain heal from sleep deprivation. within a week i felt like a new woman.
did you know we are born with it?
forgive an old girl the joy of finding another who shares the same thing. we can learn from each other. off to do more reading on xyrem. have you tried otc benadryl pm's yet? i started with them. not enough to get pure quality sleep but better than where i was. at least i slept for 45 minutes sometimes.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I take Xanax at night. I also take a Bendadryl too. Together they work pretty well in getting me a good night's sleep.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
(female)

Fydlstyx HB User

I am right there with you on the non-refreshing sleep. I awaken each morning feeling like I have a terrible hangover....and I don't drink!

I wish you the best and hope that you are able to find something that helps you. Like someone else mentioned, I take a combo of diphenhydramine and xanax before bed, which helps me go to sleep immediately and stay asleep all night. I still wake up feeling hungover, though. :-(

Good luck to you
Fydl

Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

I take a muscle relaxer and melatonin. Adding the melatonin has actually helped me a lot. But I still would not say that my sleep in the best. Just better. Also, I have a real issue of having to get up to pee during the night. Sometimes several times. No matter what I do or don't drink. Always have had to go alot, but this fibro aggravates the crap out of it. Very prone to hangovers, too, so not sleeping pills for me!! Diane

Closed Thread