It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User
Yay for good docs/starting cymbalta

Hi all,

I had my appointment with my new rheumy today. It was just what I was hoping for. She was so empathetic and concerned about my well being. Our appointment lasted for about 45 minutes. She did a physical exam, asked a lot of questions, and discussed what her treatment plan is. She is switching me from Paxil to Cymbalta, and she has said that if I max out on the Cymbalta without much improvement she may add gabapentin (sp?) but we'll just wait and see how it goes. She is also not afraid to prescribe me meds for "breakthrough" pain. She is hesitant to prescribe it for everyday, but I told her that's not what I want anyway, so we are on the same page. It's such a relief.

I feel so thankful to finally have a doctor who cares about my well being. She was very patient with me (I'm having a very fuzzy day today) and was understanding of how difficult it is to raise a child and take care of the house while you're in pain. There was none of that "suck it up" attitude like I've gotten from other doctors in the past.

It's nice to know that there are good doctors out there. You just have to search for them I guess.

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: caribear
angelwings54 (06-07-2011), bluelakelady (06-06-2011), monalisa24 (06-06-2011), thesweetlife (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Yay for good docs/starting cymbalta

hi little caribear,
i am so glad you found caring help!! doing a cartwheel for you right now, hang on . . . well . . . it's the thought that counts, not one of my best, but hey! bout fell on my face, giggle. glad i have carpeting and yes i really did go do one in my living room. freaked out the cats, giggle.
peace and joy,
blue

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
caribear (06-06-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

cari, that is so awesome. it is good to feel like you have someone on your side!!

The Following User Says Thank You to biogirl71 For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Oh Carigirl, I am so so happy for you!!! I think the switch is definitely a GREAT thing. Paxil is a tough drug to come off of, are you weaning or just switching?? All paxil ever did for me was an extra 20 pounds. lol...I really hope that you get some good results from the cymbalta. And if you need to add gabapentin(neurontin) I hope you have good results with that as well. I am up to 1800mg of it per day and it has worked great for me on my nerve pain. There is nothing like a positive doctor appointment to totally make your day, it is good to finally feel like someone is listening!!! Keep me posted on your progress!! xoxoxoxoxo
peace and love
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

I was on Paxil for years. When I was diagnosed with fibro, I switched right over to Cymbalta with absolutely no problems. Now, I have tried to just wean off the paxil in the past and that SUCKED! Could not do it.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User

I am just switching from the paxil to cymbalta. I felt really weird last night after I took my first one, but then again I had felt weird all day. I had a migraine today, but that may be because of the sweltering heat, oppressive humidity, and lack of air conditioning. Ours broke down at the end of last season and I didn't get a chance to get a new one before the heat got bad. All the local stores are out of stock, so I ended up having to order one online. Hopefully it'll be here soon. It's almost 9 PM here and the temp is 87* with a heat index of 91*. I don't mind the heat, but the humidity is a killer.

It's funny, I gained exactly 20 pounds on the paxil too. Which made me frustrated because I had lost 30 last summer and managed to keep it off, even through the holidays, until I started the paxil. Oh well, it'll come back off. I lose weight in the summer anyway, it's too hot to be hungry.

Blue, thanks for the cartwheel. Sorry it scared your furbabies, but I appreciate the celebration. I like to do what we call the "happy dance," and the last time I did it, my 2-year-old looked at me and said "Mom. Stop." LOL he's 2 going on 13.

Love to you all!!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Oh so cute!!! I love the happy dance!!! I lose in the summer too, you're right, too hot to eat. I live on fruits and veggies all summer. We haven't got that heat and humidity yet but it's coming. That sucks about your a/c. I put mine in the window a couple weeks ago. I am on the second floor of a house and would go nuts without it..I am sending you good karma to help ease your transition onto a new med..hope you're having a great evening. You're little one sounds precious, kids are such a gift
love and peace
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hi Caribear!
Cymbolta helped me allot with my anxiety & pain. I went off it because I thought it was adding to my weight gain but turns out that wasn't it lol
Please be very careful. Going off of it made me very ill. Even weaning off it... I was in soooo much pain then I couldn't keep anything down. Awful withdrawals... It got to the point that I was going to go to the hospital the next day if I didn't get better because I couldn't keep stuff down. dehydrated. It all lasted about a week. But, if you do good on it, you won't need to go off of it
Sounds like you got a great Doc! My rhumy is good, but not a very good listener... I'm trying to get in to a nuerologist, been over 3 months of trying, ugh Anyhow, hope things will get easier now since you found a good Dr!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi caribear,
my cats are used to it. i do somersaults every day as part of yoga. graceful i am not anymore. giggle. determined tho. can't do the splits anymore. used to be in gymnastics and modern dance eons ago. giggle.
walking takes weight off the fastest. today will be my first walk up mountain in the sun!
hope you get your new ac in record time. fans and ice. a cold cloth around your neck if it does not hurt. i lived in a place once that hit 120's every summer. i was very overweight and the heat sapped me. the ac went out at work for a week. i lived on frozen towels!
still do that if i am going to be out in the heat. a cooler filled with frozen hand towels.
walk in the evenings since it is so hot, or early morning with your son. take a stroller along.
peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 06-08-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: dropped an f

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-08-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi caribear, I am coming a little late to the party, but just wanted to say...hooray, you found a doc to listen. That is so great. I have a few docs like that. Hang in there with the cymbalta. My endocrinologist's nurse has fibro and she really likes the cymbalta.

Again, I'm happy for you, but I don't do cartwheels (braveman would have to call 911). I will however kick up my heels a little bit for you, I think I will do part of the can-can dance I use to do in my youth. No laughing, I did say 'part of'......giggle!

Glojer

The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-10-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

YAY for you, Cymbalta helped me a lot in both the pain and some of the fog brain. Definitely helped my outlook and mood. Hoping it works as well for you. At first I remember feeling kind of like an energetic high, that toned down rather fast and I had a reminder of how I used to feel mentally before all this crap started.

Sorry, no cartwheels here either. Maybe a gentle happy dance and big cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
caribear (06-12-2011)
Closed Thread