It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

Dogcrazie3 HB UserDogcrazie3 HB User
wierd symptom ???

Hi,
Does anyone have a feeling that they are coming down with a cold but never do, as a symptom of FM ???

Hugs
KK

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Dogcrazie3
angelwings54 (06-24-2011), girlyo (06-22-2011), monalisa24 (06-23-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogcrazie3 For This Useful Post:
girlyo (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
(female)

girlyo HB Usergirlyo HB User
Re: wierd symptom ???

Yes this symptom I refer to flu-like symptoms and I get this symptom quite often. When my FM is flared up this is one of the most common symptoms I get. It can range from just a sore throat to body aches, hoarseness/voice, to feeling as if you have a fever and you don't but if you do its mainly a low grade fever. It is one of the symptoms that can make me feel as if I need to lay down asap and be some where warm in my bed under my blankets. When I get this symptom I know I have pushed myself a lil too much esp when I'm working. It goes away sometimes as fast as its onset or may linger for a day. Besides the severe pain and fatigue I'm experiencing right now the flu-like symptom is a daily ritual for me. I'm out of work on a sick leave of absence and what I find works the best for me besides resting in my comfy warm bed is a nice cup of warm tea with honey. There is also a product that u can find near the vitamin or cough and cold section of your local drug store or grocery store that is called Emergen-C. The one I use is for Immune Defense with a lemon honey flavor, but because of the large amount of Zinc in it the taste and smell is awfull! I put it in some warm lemon tea and add tons of honey to try to mask the flavor. I don't know why I drink it sometimes because I know it's a symptom of FM but I figure if I am coming down with a cold I rather be ready to defend any virus coming my way!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I think we all have our warnings that things are gonna get "poopy". For me it's the headache. I know I've overdone it so things are gonna get worst. But there are times when I feel like I'm getting the flu, but it's the Fibro acting up. Don't usually get the cold feeling, more like allergies are kicking in, but I don't really have allergies lol
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
(female)

Tori I def agree with you!! Lately I've felt like I have allergies and have the itchy watery eyes but have never been diagnosed with allergies! Lol also because it seems as if there is a col but its allergies or is it just our FM acting up with its million symptoms!!?? But yes I also agree every one has their own yucky symptoms that bother them. To each their own. I have had a few migraines as well lately and usually if the pressure point on my upper back and neck are really painful it always travels into my head causing nausea and light and noise sensitivity. Uuugghhh those really suck and can be debilitating. But as many of us get the flu-like symtoms and know its our FM flaring up I'm sure everyone would agree its a symptom that sucks more than other FM symptoms. And the funny part is when you actually tell someone, say at your workplace, that oh no I've got flu-like symptoms they immediately look at you as if you are contagious when your not! It's just our FM!! Gotta love it....not really! Lol
~FML~

Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Ugh, I have the upper back, neck & shoulder pain also. It's always sore but gets worst. I have to lay my had down & rest my neck. My neck seems to really hurt before the headache kicks in. It is like a Migraine headache. Anymore I end up getting really sick once the headache gets bad. BTW, Mints really help with upset stomach!
Have you been itchy lately? I was so sore & uncomfortable last night then kept itching. I've just been itchy & worst at night... I think it's part of Fibro...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
girlyo (06-23-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
girlyo (06-23-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
(female)

OMG I have been in so much pain and restless at night I am extremely itchy too!!! I do have mosquitoe bites but its all over. Because the whole allergy thing is bothering me lately I have been taking Zyrtec. It helps with the allergy symptoms and also the itching. Zyrtec is one of the non-drowzy antihistamines that is indicated for allergy symptoms but also puritis as well. I'm not sure if it works because I eventually fall asleep but I'm def starting to think this annoying itchyness is another FM symptom. Yay us!!
~FML~ (oh since we have been chatting I guess I'd like to tell you wut FML stands for and I guess I'm telling the whole forum as well but why not...I've had such a rough 2years of constant FM flare up that I'm to the point of FML (F My Life!!...Seriously FML!!! Lol)

Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
(female)

brooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB User

This would really depend on what symptoms you are having. The muscle aches and fatigue leading to the flu-like feeling could be a part of fibromyalgia, but if you are having symptoms like low fevers or swollen glands, it may be time to visit the doctor. I often have swollen glands in my neck and armpits (which are very tender to the touch) and low fevers and I think that I am about to come down with something nasty, then a week later they are gone and nothing ever came of it. (its a fun side effect of having SLE in my case)

The Following User Says Thank You to brooklyngirl For This Useful Post:
Dogcrazie3 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
(female)

Hello brooklyngirl,
I agree with you when you reply it would really depend on what symptoms you are having. The actual Flu virus and other viruses usually has high fevers and additional symptoms rather it be vomitting, diarreha, a productive or dry cough and sometimes a rash. Even though some of those symptoms listed above can corelate with FM, it's time to see the doctor esp if the symptoms worsen and last over 3-5 days. With FM a symptom is low grade fever and swollen lymph nodes usually in the throat area and under the arm pits. So it is very hard to judge sometimes for people rather its the Flu virus, a cold, FM symtoms or in your case SLE side effects. But I would tell someone with FM that low grade fevers and swollen lymph nodes can still be jst their FM acting up. I would also inform them to see the doctor if it persist or gets worse with additional symptoms and most of the time true viruses last longer over 3-5 days and usually come along with a high grade fever versus a low grade one. But to each their own. Every one is different and as someone becomes familiar with FM and what symptoms they have as compared to the usual list of FM symptoms they should know when its time to see their doctor or not. There are sooo many symptoms of FM that a person with it and not familiar with ALL of its symptoms shouldn't be referred to their doctor all the time or they would end up at their doctors almost everyday! And that could get costly after a while.
~FML~

Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I felt like I was coming down with a cold and did..Day 2 sniffling, sore and sleepy, spent almost the whole day in bed yesterday. It's put me into a flare so I'm not happy at all. My skin hurts to the touch, I hate that when it happens. It won't be long before I hit the sack again.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
(female)

Hi brooklyngirl, yes thats what I meant when I said I feel like I am coming down with a cold but never do. I should have been more specific with my question I have swollen glands in y neck daily, get allergy like symptoms in my nose but I dont have allergies. I have alot of SLE symptoms but not the rash. Is it possible it could be SLE without ever having a rash ? I am still in Limbo , I dont know if I have FM (which I am taking Cymbalta) MS, Lupus ?? I have so many FM symptoms but the gland thing has me stumped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyngirl View Post
This would really depend on what symptoms you are having. The muscle aches and fatigue leading to the flu-like feeling could be a part of fibromyalgia, but if you are having symptoms like low fevers or swollen glands, it may be time to visit the doctor. I often have swollen glands in my neck and armpits (which are very tender to the touch) and low fevers and I think that I am about to come down with something nasty, then a week later they are gone and nothing ever came of it. (its a fun side effect of having SLE in my case)

Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

I feel like that everyday.

The following user gives a hug of support to monalisa24:
Dogcrazie3 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
(female)

Hi Monalisa
Have you been diagnosed with anything ? I cant remember , sorry I have read so many posts LOL. If so, may I ask with what ? I am getting frustrated because after doing alot of reading it sounds like I could have FM, MS, SLE, RA and on and on so now Im really confused. My dr. has not taken a drop of blood or done any tests. Prescribed Cymbalta, dont have much pain but I have MOST FM symptoms

Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

@Dogcrazie3..ive been dx with fibro back in 04 i think. i have non stop chronic pain everywhere. flu like feeling always...been tested for everything 3x over. all negative, but i have a high sed rate and a positive ANA..but neg, on Lupus. MRI was all neg for MS.

Dr wants a spinal ,that was yrs ago, i didn't do it. called an talked to the MS Hub here in Seattle she said just becuz it comes up (clear, neg) for MS doesn't mean i don't have it. takes sometimes yrs to be DX for it she said. so why do it. ..i have Fibro plain an simple, i don't see a Dr for it anymore, did for 4 plus yrs and was on major pain pills, still was in pain and sick, went off all meds now will be 3 yrs this Sept, still in major pain but not drugged up and I'm out of bed and living.

hugs Monalisa...sorry if i sound short..major pain today....

The following user gives a hug of support to monalisa24:
girlyo (06-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
girlyo (06-24-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
(female)

marsings HB User

I'm so glad that you mentioned this. I often feel like I'm about to get a cold and never do. Just never associated with the fibro! I can't offer any help, but thank-you for making me feel less crazy!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
(female)

Hello Monalisa,
I'm the exact way with the major pain and still tested for everything but neg except ANA + and high sed rate as well. I'm going to get off the meds. They r not helping. I jst wonder will this severe pain ever go away. Its affected my life tremendously in the past few years! I wonder sometimes if I have something else but been tested and its jst FM.
Another crappy day and in bed a lot,
~FML~

Last edited by girlyo; 06-24-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: direct my reply to Monalisa and her last reply

The following user gives a hug of support to girlyo:
monalisa24 (06-24-2011)
Closed Thread