It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

FibroNewbieJ HB User
Fibro Headaches?

Hi all,

I am new to the boards as I was recently diagnosed with Fibro. It's quite painful, and I'm would love to hear your thoughts about headaches in particular. Any insights would help!

I'm experiencing new headaches that I've never had before. They tend to start on the right front of my head and they move--toward the back, over the the left, into the neck and then back to the front again. Always primarily on the right. It's like jabbing pain with an underlying ache. Also, it hurts when I lay my head against a pillow or rest it against a chair.

Is this consistent with fibro? (I'm a little concerned because these are such strange headaches compared to what I had before fibro--is that normal?) And if so, what do you do to relieve the pain? So far, I haven't found much to help. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for advice. God bless!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Fibro Headaches?

Hello & Welcome!
You will find that everything is very normal You will have many symptoms you won't understand. Anyhow, to start with the headaches... I get them, they get as bad as a migraine. Most of my pain is in my upper back, shoulders, neck then up alittle into the back of my skull. The worst I flare, the worst it is. Then my headaches are in the upper forhead area & move back. I feel like I always have a mild headache. Then the worst I flare the worst my neck/back/shoulder pain. It's a warning that my headache is coming if I don't rest. But, I'm very suborn. So, the headache will start to hurt & get worst. I then end up very sick. Always have mints with me & Ginger ale on hand....
Now, the best thing to do is prevent it. Do your best not to stress (I take meds for that). Try not to over do it. Pacing yourself makes a huge difference! But, to actually live & enjoy life or get important things done... We tend to have to over do it... When that happens, Pain meds help. I take Tramadol which takes the edge off... But takes 2 hours before it helps. Strongest my Rhum will prescribe. But, I do have Percs for really bad flares, unbearable.
Now, there have been many times, especially in the beginning when I did my best not to take meds unless I had to... I would lay on the couch till around noon-1pm before finally taking Tramadol. I was just so miserable. So, with the wonderful help & advice from others here, I started taking the Tramadol in the morning when I knew I'd need it. Now, Cymbolta is wonderful for Anxiety & Pain! But the withdraws are a nightmare if you have to go off it... I take Nuerontin which helps, I can move around without Tramadol as long as I'm not flaring at all. What do they have you on?
I take a muscle relaxer for insomnia, helps with pain also.
My head won't hurt so bad to lay down. Laying down is a relief for me. I do get what feels like a sunburn on the top of my head, always on the right... Well, ones on the left... It doesn't hurt for me to touch but it feels like it's sunburned. Usually lasts a day then goes away.
Anyhow, I can keep going. Hope this helps!
You will learn that you have to life life differently. It hard, especially at first... But you'll learn how to control it.
Dr's are full of information but I have learned more hear then I ever did seeing a Dr. We get first hand experience here... Lots of help & support ♥
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
FibroNewbieJ (07-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
(female)

FibroNewbieJ HB User

Thanks so much for all the info! I really am struggling to find things that work, but your words of encouragement help. I was given Tramadol, although I didn't find it to work at all. I've also been given Valium to relax my muscles. That works OK for my legs and even the chest pains, but does nothing for the headaches. I was started on Lyrica, although my dose is low for now as my body gets used to the medication. My doc said not to get discouraged, they need to build me up to a dose that will actually do something for my symptoms. In the meantime, I have to look for meds that will give me some relief. Thanks for the tips!

Jen

Last edited by moderator2; 07-16-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: that huge quote was not needed

Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I've just spent the night in hospital with the mother of all headaches......it was like an explosion in my head that just came out of nowhere and then receeded to a dull ache - GP admitted me and they kept me in for obs - the diagnosis was cluster headaches - it was like a bomb had gone off. They gave me oxygen (not to help me to breathe) but it helps the headache to go - and it did. Scary but not as scary as the alternatives - they and I thought it could be an anneurism - however deep down I didn't think it could be as I had no other symptom at all

Good old fibro!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

thesweetlife~ I hope you are feeling better? Sounds horrible! Bus of been pretty bad to go to the hospital! Have you gotten much rest now? Hope you feel better soon!!!

Jen~ I have to take 2 50mg Tramadol for it to help at all, one isn't enough... I also take an IB Profren with it, helps alittle more for some reason...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
(female)

chicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB User

I also get headaches just like those described. I take 50 mg of Tramadol at a time, but sometimes in the a.m. when pain is really terrible, I take another after 30 minutes. It takes a while for it to kick in. If I have an obligation in the morning, I set my alarm an hour ahead to take the Tramadol and then sleep while it takes effect. I supplement with Ibuprofen too. And I also have a standby for the flare up days, which is Vicodin.

Hope yall feel better soon!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarm View Post
thesweetlife~ I hope you are feeling better? Sounds horrible! Bus of been pretty bad to go to the hospital! Have you gotten much rest now? Hope you feel better soon!!!

Jen~ I have to take 2 50mg Tramadol for it to help at all, one isn't enough... I also take an IB Profren with it, helps alittle more for some reason...
I'm feeling loads better thanks Tori - I still have a headache but just a residue/mild one. I got plenty of rest on Sunday and worked from home on Monday - it was pretty scary but all fab now x

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
(male)

wildkingdom HB User

i've been prescribed elevil(sp) for my migraines. the starting in the forehead and moving around pain is what happens most every time. if you are light or noise sensitive, pain in the teeth, vision problems(see sparkles streamers or halos around objects), it would be a migraine. you don't have to have all the symptoms just one or two. there are several meds you can take at the start of a migraine that can lessen or stop the migraines.
i'm on my 4th month of elevil and ahve not ahd a migraine since. i came close on time early on in the elevil treatment.
this is much better than the 1-2 trips a month to the ER.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
(male)

wildkingdom HB User

i've been prescribed elevil(sp) for my migraines. the starting in the forehead and moving around pain is what happens most every time. if you are light or noise sensitive, pain in the teeth, vision problems(see sparkles streamers or halos around objects), it would be a migraine. you don't have to have all the symptoms just one or two. there are several meds you can take at the start of a migraine that can lessen or stop the migraines.
i'm on my 4th month of elevil and ahve not ahd a migraine since. i came close on time early on in the elevil treatment.
this is much better than the 1-2 trips a month to the ER.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
(female)

barbwest HB User

HI!
You could have been describing my headaches!! the pain can be unbelievable. I take a prescription med call Zomig. For me it works great, sometimes after one of these killer headaches, my neck, shoulders and back really hurt, like I have pulled all the muscles, but at least the headache is gone. I now will never go anywhere without my Zomig. I just went to the pain management dr. for the first time this week, he will be doing several tests, and bloodwork before giving me a diagnosis, but he did give me Nortriptlyine, for all the muscle pain, but did say that it will also help with not getting the migraines so often. I only started that med 3 nights ago, so I have no idea if it will help, I sure hope so!
I hope, as well that you, and everyone here has a good weekend, and not too much pain!!

Closed Thread