It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

FibroNewbieJ HB User
Chest Pain--What Does Yours Feel Like?

Hi all!

I'm so new to this whole fibro thing, I just got my *official* diagnosis today. And I am having trouble coping with the symptoms. More importantly, I'm afraid I will not be able to differentiate between fibro symptoms and symptoms that actually require medical attention--do you have any advice for this? I'd love to hear it. It will calm my nerves!

Anyway, the reason for this post is the chest pain. I've had two spells that sent me to the ER--so painful, I could barely breathe and was shaking all over!--where they found nothing wrong with me after running a million tests.... for pulmonary embolisms, heart attacks, pneumonia, etc. (This was before I was diagnosed with fibro.) I experience chest pain near the breastbone on both sides of the chest. It usually stays close to the breastbone but can radiate out into the whole of the chest when I move around or breathe in real deep. It can also feel like intense breast pain.

So, I guess what I'm asking is--what does your fibro chest pain feel like? I'd really like to have something to compare it to, and be able to tell when to tell if it's actually serious (like a lung or heart problem).

Thanks for all your help, guys! God bless.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Chest Pain--What Does Yours Feel Like?

Hi there newbie, from another MI FM victim. After 2 trips to the ER and nothing found has anyone suggested that maybe you have Costochondritis. Many of us with FM get it. When mine flares it's quite disabling to the point it hurts to sit, stand or lay down. Maybe a visit to your GP or internist could get you answers. Luckily mine is off to the right side of my ribcage and not in the sternum. Some motions or exercises set it off. Maybe you can spot a pattern of what is bringing it on. As for telling if it's serious or not, that's a call only you can make from knowing your pain and symptoms. If any doubt at all I'd not play games and go back to the ER.

As for all the other fun things fibro throws at us, mention it to your dr and he or she can decide if it's fibro or not.

Hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Hi! My chest pain feels alot like yours. I also have trouble breathing. I read that our chests get stiff and that can cause dyspnea. I also attribute it to anxiety when I am in severe pain. Hugs, Di

Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

My chest pain is just to the right of center and it starts out annoying and builds to a pain that goes through to my back and escalates to a pain that goes beyond a ten. It goes up into my right shoulder and then starts to subside shortly after it gets to the unbearable point. This only lasts minutes. I think all chest pain needs to be checked out. I do not have Costochondritis, but many here do and it is certainly worth mentioning to your doc.

Glojer

Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

My chest pain was only on the left for years and than migrated to the right also. I have spots all over the chest area that hurt to push on them. I have had many tests done also and nothing serious with the heart. my cardio said if you push around on your chest and find spots that make you want to scream from the pressure of pushing on them it is muscular pay from pushing. But you really pay from the pressing around.

I have had this pain for years, it can start at the bottom of the ribs go up through the breast into the shoulders and even a sweatshirt can cause the pain to become worse. Now I find that the sore spots are at the exact location on both sides. the spots are really sore but the refered pain is really bad. Seems these spots are there 24/7 but can cause awful pain. Being on the P C too long can aggreviate them and sometimes just reaching for something and ]I am at stage 10 pain.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 07-24-2011 at 04:04 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to pa235:
suzy ward (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
(female)

suzy ward HB User

Hi! I too have these chest pains, it is a condition called costochondritis and it tends to go hand in hand with fibromyalgia. Its caused by an inflamation of the costal muscles and sometimes lasts only a few mins or can go on for hours. It can be treated with meds to keep it in check. Sadly its just another pain that we have to deal with. I hope you get the support you need. Gentle hugs x

Closed Thread

Tags
chest pain, fibromyalgia, flare, lung, symptom