It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

ld1129 HB Userld1129 HB User
SED rate rising? Help with lab tests

Hello, I am a first time poster but have been reading for about a month. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago after being tested for what felt like every disease in the world.

Question is that my SED rate (inflammation in blood) went from a 33 two months ago to 45. I thought it would go down because I take 150 mg of Voltaran (anti-inflammatory every day for the last 3-4 months) My white blood cells went from 8 to 11.4

I was just diagnosed today with MRSA (yes I am that lucky) Are my levels elevated because my body is fighting the infection? I am just new to reading my labs. I have to get blood work every 3-4 months per my Rheumatologist.

Thanks for any in site you can provide.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ld1129
caribear (07-29-2011), MeganV (07-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User
Re: SED rate rising? Help with lab tests

Fighting an infection can definitely cause an inflammatory response. The may very well be why your sed rate and WBC are increasing. Hope you feel better soon!! Di

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

MeganV HB User

Where is your MRSA? The Sed rate is actually a tests for proteins in the blood that will settle in muscles and joints. When it is elevated, it indicates inflammation, which causes wide spread pain. Your sed rate will be elevated with infections, but usually when there is more pain in the joints/muscles. Did they do a C-reactive protein test also? This will be elevated more commonly with an infection.

Do you only have FMS? Or do you have another autoimmune disease? Sometimes anti-inflammatories will help get your values down. What kind of medications do you use for the pain??

It really isn't something you have to worry about, it is just a sign of inflammation, and is a diagnostic tool to try and get you out of pain. It helps doctors to prescribe the right medications to get them down.

I have mine checked every 3 months to see if the methotrexate (a chemo therapy medication that has been proven to help with RA and prevent further breakdown of joints. It is used in smaller doses than used in cancer patients.) is working to bring it down. It has went as high as 35, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and a very bad ankle that is constantly painful and inflamed. It has been elevated for years, not a whole lot I can do about it, although the methotrexate dropped my sed rate from 35 to 22 which is high, but much better for sure.

Hope this has helped some <<<Gentle Hugs>>>

Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MeganV HB User

Oh and I forgot! Welcome to the boards! Everyone is so wonderful, I hope you find the answers you are looking for

Closed Thread