It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

VintageKym HB UserVintageKym HB UserVintageKym HB User
Post Polio; Fibro?

I dont know why but for some reason I have been wondering about fibro
symptoms and the possibility this dreadful syndrome is a result of polio.
Maybe we had polio symptoms as a child, and had a touch of it and did not know it?
I can vaguely remember having some problems walking when I was around the age of 4 five or 6, between 1967-1970. Back then I know we were vaccinated for polio but I dont know if I have gotten all of the required doses
Just a thought........
please dont think i have lost my mind...LOL.
Anyone else have any thought on this?

below is info gleaned after googling post polio
Post-polio syndrome is an illness in the nervous system. It can arise 15 to 50 years after you had polio. It affects your muscles and nerves, and it causes you to have low energy, fatigue, and muscle or joint pain. But there are ways you can stay active with this condition.

Only people who have had polio can get post-polio syndrome. But having post-polio syndrome doesn't mean that you have polio again. Unlike polio, post-polio syndrome does not spread from person to person.
What causes it?

Post-polio syndrome most likely arises from the damage left over from having polio.

The polio virus harms the nerves that control muscles, and it makes the muscles weak. If you had polio, you may have gained back the use of your muscles. But the nerves that connect to the muscles could be damaged without your knowing it. The nerves may break down over time and cause you to have weak muscles again.

Researchers are studying other possible causes of post-polio syndrome. One theory is that the immune system plays a role.
What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of post-polio syndrome tend to show up very slowly. The main symptoms are new muscle weakness, fatigue, and pain in the muscles and joints. Muscles that had nerve damage from polio may get weak and waste away because of post-polio syndrome. With post-polio syndrome, muscles that you didn't realize had been affected by polio may have weakness.

Some people with post-polio syndrome also have problems with swallowing, breathing, sleeping, and tolerating cold temperatures.
How is post-polio syndrome diagnosed?

The Following User Says Thank You to VintageKym For This Useful Post:
Glojer (08-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Post Polio; Fibro?

This is fascinating. The symptoms described sound so similar to fibro or at least my fibro. I however didn't have polio. I was vaccinated, but in the 1950's in school. I honestly think that as research continues, they are going to find so many links to fibro. It is such a strange disease, there has to be more than one cause.

Glojer

Closed Thread