It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Looking for advice today, high blood pressure & kidney pain

I went to the ER, because my kidneys burn and hurt. My blood pressure was 179/99 from where the ambulance checked it. They did a urine test in the ER, and sent home with cipro. No blood work, no check on my blood pressure status before I left. Is that not a dangerous blood pressure reading? I just don't understand the doctors choice here in caring for me. I told them that I wanted to be admitted to the hospital and talked to my doctor earlier in the week, and he said for them to call him, but I know no one bothered calling. I've had other things wrong too but I will spare you all of the glorious details.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Looking for advice today, high blood pressure & kidney pain

hi,
that is not a dangerous pressure considering the circumstances. keep an eye on it tho and make sure it has come back down. you can buy your own bp monitor for pretty cheap. odd that you were not checked again, but i am wondering did they hook you up to the monitor when you got there? it's standard procedure in most e.r. hospitals.
glad you got some cipro, is it helping? do you have a follow up with a urologist?
sustained highs such as yours are a concern. situation highs are considered a normal response to stress and pain.
sorry i took so long. been a bit busy.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

No I wasn't hooked up to a monitor. I guess they snuck the blood work in on me when they put the IV in, I didn't know I had it done. I never had an infection but my kidneys were obviously upset. My protein was 1+, I had a couple of mild abnormalties in my electrolytes. Some blood, WBC's, it did look like an infection but I know for a fact I didn't have one. I didn't take the cipro, all I can count on with that is a different infection (yeast), and if I don't need it, well I won't take it. My UTI's always follow the same pattern, I can feel the inflammation pretty strong, I get to where I can't pea, I burn when I pea, this wasn't the case. I only had some burning pain in my sides. Still do but it feels kind of strong in my lungs now, don't know why it went up higher, but whatever I guess. Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
an infection in the kidneys does not feel the same as a UTI. with kidneys it's deep pain in the lower back on the sides just above your waist. will you be following up with your doctor on this? yogurt helps prevent yeast infection if you do decide to take the cipro.
with it moving it could be a flare up of fibro happening at the same time. or the whole experience could be fibro but best to have confirmation from a doc you trust.
peace,
blue

Old 09-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi Neveragain...

So sad with what you are dealing with. Yes pain can cause your pressure to go up. Listen to Blue, get a moniter and check it yourself. If you still have high reading see your doc and then go for screenings. You are supposed to have 2 consecutive high reading about a few weeks to a month apart before they determine High Blood Pressure. At least that is what I was told, and I do have it and I am on Lisinopril for it.

Also, I would call your doc to see if you can get that yeast infection pill that cures the yeast infection?? Cant remember the name... or do the yogurt like Blue said also try taking Probiotic. That may help too! It a supplement pill that my doc told me to take when I have to go on antibiotics to help reduce the risk of a yeast infection,....

Keep us updated!!! If you are not feeling right go to the doctor!!!

HUGGS!!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
(female)

FibroNewbieJ HB User

If you feel uncomfortable, I would go back to the ER. When I was suffering severe pain, high blood pressure, etc., they sent me home and I went back 2 hours later when it got even worse and stressed to them just how bad it was. They admitted me to the hospital then. I think if you go back twice in one day, it sorta drives the point home.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was just 13, and frequently had readings that high. I have no idea for how long until they caught it. I had thickening in the walls of my heart, though, so it's not a good scenario (esp. with your kidney pain). I would just say that if you feel something is up, go back to the ER and basically demand to be admitted. They only have so many beds, so they will only admit you with a little pressure. I learned that going through my fibro nightmare.

Good luck.
Hugs,
Jen

Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

I've had both the kidney and UTI. I suggest you take that cipro or you might be spending time in the hospital on IV anibiotics...not fun! I don't understand why you would take the time to go to the ER and not follow the doctors suggestions. The pain you feel in your lungs is probably pain from your kidneys. I have a monitor for BP and use it often. I have noticed that when pain is high so is the BP. I'm not trying to be grumpy here just trying to give some constructive critacism (sp). I hope your feeling better soon.

Low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now