It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

debbressie HB User
Arrow Fibromyalgia is not progressive...

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia almost 2 years ago. Prior to that I spent thousands of dollars for 6 years trying to figure out what was wrong with me. During that time I had constant pain and exhaustion, but there were periods of relief with all the other symptoms. Fast forward to present day...I'm in so much pain I have to use a cane to walk in the evenings, can't sleep, memory/cognative problems are causing daily life to be a great challenge. That's without a flare. During a flare I am nearly completely crippled and can't concentrate long enough to make it to the kitchen for a drink. I get half way there and go blank.

Whoever says Fibromyalgia isn't progressive is full of hooey. Either that or I am misdiagnosed.

Anyone else think Fibromyalgia is progressive??

Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia is not progressive...

Honestly, it varies. Some people get worse over the years, some get better, some stay about the same. I'm sorry to hear yours is getting worse. What kinds of treatments are you taking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
(female)

debbressie HB User

I have been taking 30mg Cymbalta for 2 years. Lots of relief in the beginning...not so much now. Just started Celebrex 3 weeks ago, no change. I am getting screened for MS in 3 weeks - if negative I think I should see a fibro doc or a pain mgmt center. I can't keep my corporate job like this...38 yrs old. I bet with the right pain congrol I could put the cane down...I guess you are a long time member of this forum. What's your story? I like to hear other views...thanks for the reply!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I'm not sure I'd call it progressive, but maybe evolving. In my mind progressive seems to say eventual death. Evolving is continual changing, every day can bring a new symptom, pain or brain fart.

FM keeps me guessing and questioning with each new symptom . Just when you think you've experienced it all, another fun issue comes to the surface.

Isn't life fun!

Maybe it's time for an increase of Cymbalta.

Last edited by WoodsWalker; 09-11-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: forgot something, can you believe that!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

debbressie HB User

Good point. I don't mean to incinuate that I will meet my demise because of Fibromyalgia. I certainly need better pain control and will look into that angle. I do however feel like every time I have a flare I'm left weaker than before. I bet one day they'll have to catagorize fibro into several classes. Those that get better, those who stay the same, and those that get worse. Or maybe I'll get better one day...that's the magic of fibro. Nobody can predict anything!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely talk to your doctor about adjusting your medicines. Also, it might help if you can find a good physical therapist or massage therapist to work with. It can make a real difference in the pain levels, at least for me.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

Anyone else think Fibromyalgia is progressive??

yes!.....

The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
debbressie (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I agree with everyone's take on fibro and progression....giggle.....NO I am not a politician. Seriously though for me I have always said that the people who tell you fibro is not progressive don't always know what they are talking about. And I am not speaking of anyone on this board, I am referring to mainly the medical profession. I think fibro can and does progress for some people. And I am one of those people, that is not to say that I am down in bed all the time or can't do anything or all the things you would imagine with a progressive disease. What I mean is the pain, fatigue and all the other annoying things that go along with fibro have increased in intensity for me. I still do everything I can to fight the fibromonster and I win some and lose some.

So yes, my opinion it can be progressive.

Glojer

The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
beasley005 (04-04-2012)
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
(female)

dakaboston HB Userdakaboston HB Userdakaboston HB Userdakaboston HB Userdakaboston HB User

I think fibro is progressive. That doesn't mean it will end in death, to me. To me, evolving and progressive are pretty much the same thing. Your symptoms get worse. I've been diagnosed for 8 yrs, but looking back I had juvenile fibro. I can solidly trace back to 16 yrs of age. I just thought everyone lived with pain & were always tired. I've had every blood test, including Lyme's, and it always comes back with an elevated non-specific ANA but no other RA or Lupus markers. So fibro it is. My symptoms have definately gotten worse. Half the time I walk with a cane or, if I forget it (brain fog), I use my hubby as a cane. There are days I can type and us my mouse, and others I cannot. Temperature also effects me. The hotter it is, the worse my symptoms. So long story short, yep it's evolving or progressive!

The following user gives a hug of support to dakaboston:
monalisa24 (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

It is a progressive syndrome. Without proper intervention, you can expect more and more misery. Straight out of the pit of h-ll . . .

Guafenesin therapy has delivered me from that pit.

Kirstee

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I was hit with chronic fatigue when I was 18, 31 now. I spent yrs searching for answers & seen many Drs which as you know is frustrating... My fibro hit in 09 I believe... Or maybe it snuck up slowly. But in 09 the actual pain set in. Used to my body feeling heavy, sore & tired... I guess I was so used to not feeling well I didn't notice how much worst it got for awhile. Headaches 5 days a week I was used to. When my Rhum gave me the fiber diagnosis I didn't believe it till my first real bad flare. Seems like it just gets worst. Course it's like a rollercoaster also where it gets better then really bad again.
Anyhow, yes so far in my experience it is progressive... Maybe it'll stop progressing eventually? I also wonder if the Chronic fatigue is the same thing but a more mild form...
I do believe people are diagnosed by family Drs when it is low vitamin d, Lyme, ect. Most Drs don't seem to actually want to bother helping. Just want you in & out of the office.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
(female)

Kellyisheavenbo HB User

You are absolutely right.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
(female)

kikkim HB User

I also believe fibro is progressive. I had RSD as a kid/young adult and now I'm having serious fibro/CPS. The doc said that I've had it for years but with having a family, being busy, etc I just was overlooking the symptoms. It hit me VERY hard post hysterectomy. I had surg in the summer and stopped working in Dec. I applied for a medical retirement and disability.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

I love the 'fibromonster' Glojer. I've not heard fibro called that name.

As far as fibromyalgia being progressive I believe it is because I've gotten worse through the years.

To bad it won't reverse and we can all be healthy again.

Be well all

~Belle~

Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Thank you BelleoftheSouth. To be honest, I think I stole that phrase from someone. I think maybe Bluelakelady. Doesn't matter it fits!

I am with you, if fibro could go into recession or be reversed. Wow, that would be something to work for. As it is just keeping it under control is all we can do.

Glojer

The following user gives a hug of support to Glojer:
BelleoftheSouth (02-10-2012)
Closed Thread