It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

Luvtwiztid HB User
Neck pain with fibromyalgia

lately I've been having horrible sharp neck pain that feels like whiplash I've had fibromyalgia for 10 years now and this is new, I've had neck and shoulder pain from the fibromyalgia before but its never felt like this is there some neck pain relationship that I just don't know about?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Luvtwiztid
monalisa24 (09-16-2011), SnowBunny89 (09-29-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User
Re: Neck pain with fibromyalgia

I wish I had the answer to that. I've tried to find relief for the neck and shoulder pain which seem to go hand in hand. You have my sympathy because this is a pain that never seems to end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

The tender points in your shoulders which cause pain can also occur in the neck. As these tender points pull and draw on the muscles and tendons, you will have varying amounts of pain. If the pain is actually around the vetebrae in your neck, you may have what seems to be a sore throat, but is actually the vetebrae that are screaming. It's the pulling and drawing that throws everything out of whack.

If you had not experienced this sort of pain before, it may be you are beginning to now flare in that area. Haul out that heating pad!

Blessings,
Kirstee

The Following User Says Thank You to kirstee For This Useful Post:
monalisa24 (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User

Thanks for the reply. I've tried heat, pain pills and nothing seems to work.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

real fast ,....as far back as age 4 is when my severe neck pain began this nightmare..im 48 now...ibuprofen and time is about all i can say that will help..also sounds weird but 4 me it works...massage different areas besides your neck, in fact if i massage my neck it makes it worse, so if you massg your shoulder joint area ,...forearm,... on the side it hurts..try it you'll feel massive pain, i have my hubby rub till it hurts an i have to stop, even bruises sometimes..but it helps..hugs...

Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

@kirstee,,you hit that nail right on!!!...........its our muscles/tendons!...massage works..you can learn to self massage just try it and keep trying ,...hurts like heck, but thats where it needs it..

yes we do have places on us that dont hurt....i know shocking huh! but true..lol,,sorry humor is my medicine..

The following user gives a hug of support to monalisa24:
dakaboston (09-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
kirstee (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

My lower back pain from an old injury became pailful. That was my first fm symptom. Somewhere in there I started having headaches pretty much daily for awhile. Not sure how long, just kinda got use to them. I have a high pain tollerance & seem to adapt to aches & pains easily... Then my upper back, neck & shoulders started hurting. My back dr thought I was nuts because there was no reason for it... Not longer after fm was diagnosed.
My neck, shoulders, and back always hurts. Doesn't go away at all... I hot relaxing bath always helps releive alittle of the discomfort. I have to do that daily. Tramadol helps but I only take pain meds when I really need it & can't move.
All my pain centers in those areas the traveling aches & pains. Maybe this is just one of the traveling pains for you & it'll come & go? I sure hope so cause it sucks... Especially in a flare & the migrain like headache starts...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: thefarm
dakaboston (09-17-2011), kirstee (09-17-2011), monalisa24 (09-17-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
(female)

sharonys HB User

When my neck pain is really bad I wear a soft neck brace. Keeps my head from moving so much, and seems to help with the pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to sharonys For This Useful Post:
Luvtwiztid (09-28-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtwiztid View Post
lately I've been having horrible sharp neck pain that feels like whiplash I've had fibromyalgia for 10 years now and this is new, I've had neck and shoulder pain from the fibromyalgia before but its never felt like this is there some neck pain relationship that I just don't know about?
OMG this is going to sound weird but last sunday i was on the computer playing my game on facebook i was doing a trade where i had to send 50 items. anyways later on that night i had the most horrible neck pain. and today i took a nap when i woke up i had the same neck pain also my arm it's like i'm stiff on the right side but it's pain at the same time. This is defiantly new for me too does your shoulder and part of your arm hurt too?

BTW: I was just about to post about this pain.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
(female)

Rjl1974 HB User

You have my sympathies as that is also where I experience my worst pain. I have noticed over the years that sometimes a pain will be familiar then a new pain that feels different will pop up in the same area. A couple of weeks ago I started getting pain in the base of my head (like right above my neck on the left side)...it actually felt like a charley horse. It would come and go throughout the day whether I was lying still or moving. Never had that before but these days I just blame everything on the Fibro! Alot of times with my neck and shoulder pain massage helps but sometimes it doesn't. The past two days I've had alot of pain and when I massaged it I only hurt worse to the point that it made me nauseous. It really bites when you can't find anything to help....hopefully it will pass quickly for you!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

RJL1974 I get the the pain in the base of my head that leads down my neck also. The is what feels like a tendon on the left side of the back of my neck. It's like a burning pain through there. Do you get that also?

Hopefully your neck pain will go away...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread