It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

sharonys HB User
New to this health board

I have Fibromyalgia, and am looking for any and all recommendations for easing the pain and other symptoms. I take Cymbalta and Gabapentin. I also take something to help me sleep.

I have been taking care of my mother who is bedbound and has advanced dementia for more than 3 years. The demands of this job have taken a toll on me. Please, any and all advice would be appreciated.

Sharon

The following user gives a hug of support to sharonys:
tuttobella (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

tuttobella HB Usertuttobella HB Usertuttobella HB User
Re: New to this health board

Welcome! Sorry to hear about you and your Mom.....Stress for all of us with FM takes its toll on us. So it cant help that you are having to care for your mom as well as deal with your FM. How is your pain level. Cymbalta never worked for me, although my friend swears by gabepentin. I have to take 5 mg percocet, valium, and ambien for my FM, but it just takes the edge off. We all have some good days and some bad. Just try and appreciate and get extra things done on your good, and rest when your body needs it on the bad if you can.
Good luck and take care of yourself!
Mindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
(female)

sharonys HB User

Thank you Mindy. FM has been pretty bad lately. Pain is constant. I just ordered Source Naturals Fibro-Response. Had pretty good reviews. I'll try anything at this point. What have you used other than prescription meds?
Sharon

Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Taking care of anyone that's bed bound is tough enough , but add dementia to the mix and you really do have a full plate. The stress of it all can compound your FM.
I also take Cymbalta and do believe it helps, plus when I was taking care of my mother (early dementia and breast cancer) I think it helped keep me somewhat sane and not go into a big depression. Nothing is more heartbreaking than to see your parent suffer so.

If you can check into a respit care visit to a nice home for your Mom do so. Insurance covers it for the caretaker to get a break for a few days to a week. For your own self you need to rest and take care of you now and then. Caretaking is one of the most time demanding things you can do, take whatever breaks you can. I know it's difficult to send Mom off to a home even for a short time, but physically mentally it's the break you need.

I also take flexeril at night or when I get spasms during the day and tramadol which doesn't do as much as I'd like.
Unfortunately I reacted badly to Lyrica so Gabapentin scares me because the 2 are similar drugs.
Oh and welcome aboard!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

sharonys HB User

Thank you Woodswalker! Unfortunately no facility will take my mother, other than a nursing home. The good nursing homes have very, very long waiting lists (and the lists NEVER move).

Can you take flexeril long-term? When you say spasms, are you referring to muscle cramps? Does the flexeril work for muscle cramps?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I think cramps are mild spasms, I don't see why it wouldn't help. I've been taking it for a little 2 years and it's not as effective as it was at first. But it still makes a difference.

I tried skelaxin and that made me crazy, i was sending orders to people I never even spoke to at work. I'd swear up and down we had talked. That got taken off my list quickly.

Sorry there are no good facilities for you to take Mom to. Some have respit rooms they keep for short term stays, might be worth a call or 2 and a wait on the list. Or maybe a sister or brother to come take care of Mom so you can get well deserved time off. I'd of gone bonkers if my brother hadn't helped me take care of Mom.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Hi, Sharon!! I know how you feel with your mother. I took care of mine who was bed bound for a little over a year before she passed. She was a stroke victim, had severe COPD and stage 4 colon cancer. It was really really hard. Prayers and hugs, Diane

Old 09-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome,
bless you for taking care of your mom. it all comes full cirlce. i don't take meds for fibro. i have weekly massage, twice weekly acupuncture, and chiro as needed. these things help me more than any drug i have "tried" in the last 17 years.
do you have family or friends who can come watch mom so you can get out for an hour or two and just breath? there are some organizations that do adult day care, not sure if there are any near you. i am also in norcal.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Oh, BTW, I take Cymbalta Robaxin, and Lortab for my fibro pain. I also take a multi vitamin, Vit D, Vit C, calcium, magnesium malate, ashwagandha and melatonin (before bed). xo

Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
(female)

sharonys HB User

Is that a Beagle in your picture? I have an eight year old female Beagle. She is very dear to me...wonderful dogs. She helps keep me sane. She had to have surgery last month for two ruptured disks, but she's doing much better now. Can't wait until she's back to her normal self.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
(female)

sharonys HB User

BlueLakeLady,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I do have my daughter or my aunt come occasionally so that I can get out for a while. Unfortunately, no one else will change diapers!?! Fortunate for me though, I don't have a very good sense of smell. Helps a lot with the "poopy" diapers.

A massage sounds wonderful. Do you get the "deep tissue" massages? The worst of my pain is in my neck, shoulders, and back.

Thanks again!
Sharon

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sharon,
i am so glad you do have family to help out a bit. every moment of rest is another hour of energy for mom. yes i do have deep tissue massage. i also have muscle toning massage and that hurts. they both hurt but in this wonderful healing way that i love. sometimes i holler and once i even cried but it is still worth it to me. occasionally i do a fluff and buff. sometimes i get loving hands massage. they have a hot tub so i also get massages in the hot tub. i have been with them over a year. my angels on earth.
today i have masssage and acupuncture. giggle. wonder what i will be like after that?
if my fanny will just hush up a bit i shall be one delighted woman. giggle. i'm most always happy, but girl, being your own pain in the arse is work.
one thing i do know. when i get done today i will be able to turn my neck again without the discomfort or grinding. it's wonderful for stress relief too. i love my lotus and zen. having 4 hands massaging you at the same time is pure heaven.
hugs to you and your mom,
peace,
blue

Old 09-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
(female)

sharonys HB User

Sounds great! I hope you are able to get some relief. Think I will schedule one for myself again.

I know what you mean about not being able to turn your neck and the grinding...and the pain in the butt. For the longest time I thought the reason I wasn't able to get up after sitting for a while was because I broke my tailbone many, many years ago. You just never know if the aches and pains are from fibromyalgia or something else. But, boy, this daily pain does get you down.

Peace to you.
Sharon

Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

hi sharon,
massage got cancelled to today and then cancelled for today. dads crown fell off so they are off to the dentist with him. acu-p went good. gobs of little needles. she did spin them this time. weird! some spots hurt and my left arm and hand were sore after. but my fanny and neck quit hurting. so did my knee. i had the rest of the day and a good nights sleep, heaven! the pain is back today but oh, how lovely to have that bit of a break.
svetlana said most people with fibro give up on acu-p because our bodies react in a different way than normals do. most feel it does not help. hey, if i get a few hours of feeling awesome i'm taking it!!
i do hope you can find someone in your area. mine do a sliding scale payment thing.
giggle, my fanny is pouting, she wants her massage, giggle.
hugs to you and your beautiful mom,
peace,
blue
who knew a needle in my hand could make my fanny stop hurting? amazing!! temporary heaven!

Last edited by bluelakelady; 09-30-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
(female)

Rjl1974 HB User

Welcome! I am new as well. I am so sorry about your mom....the mental stress of a loved one being ill is hard enough but when it takes it's toll on your own body it is a whole new level of stress. I can't help alot on the ways of suggestions for meds as I've had so many bad experiences with what my dr. referred to as "adverse" reactions that I have given up on trying to find a rx pain med to help. I don't have health insurance and meds are too expensive to have to keep on trying. I take truckloads of Motrin and Tylenol for which I hope my poor liver doesn't pay the price someday.....they don't kill the pain but sometimes lessen it to a tolerable level. I've heard professional massage can be good just make sure they know you have FM. Before I was ever dx'ed my hubby used to give me neck and shoulder massages when I would hurt....then I would end up in the ER in horrific pain having to get a demerol shot. We didn't know then that he was actually agrravating trigger points and making my pain worse! Gentle hugs to you....and let us know if the stuff you ordered works.

Closed Thread