It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
How is a flare defined for you?

The roller coaster ride got me thinking (that is not always a good thing) about what constitutes a flare for the individual that we all are.

For me, I hurt all the time and now consider that a normal for me. When I flare every pain increases to a horrible degree and the spasms get excruciatingly intense and all the fun pains have a party all at once in my whole body. Sometimes just to keep me in line a new symptom will appear. During a flare is when I want to curl up in a ball and hide from the world, but I force myself to get up and play with everyone. This time my mood got pretty crappy and was quite bitchy and snappy to those closest to me. I usually keep the mood in check and not take out my ills on others.

So how's the party in your body?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

Rjl1974 HB User
Re: How is a flare defined for you?

Like you I hurt all the time....mainly my arms and legs....but it's not such a big deal nowadays because I have become accustomed to it. I liken it to when you walk into someone's house and they are cooking and you can smell the aroma, but then you don't notice it anymore after a while even though it's still there. That's my arm and leg pain...they've hurt for so long I just don't notice it anymore! I define it as a flare when my major neck and shoulder pain kick in....and alot of times my middle back all the way down along my spine. This is accompanied many times by intense fibro fog and nausea. My dh always knows when this happens because I can't sleep lying down. I have to prop myself practically straight up in the bed because for some reason lying flat only intensifies the pain. I want to hide from the world and the world probably wants to hide from me too because I can be a real witch when a flare comes on!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hey sister,
ever been in a mosh pit? i define a flare for me as being when i have absolutely no energy. like you i am used to the pain. actually the intense muscle fatigue is my aspect more so than pain. i feel weak and a shower requires at least 10 minutes of rest after.
sorry you got in a nasty frame of mind. hope you are able to air it out and get some sunshine back in there. i don't get irritable or snapish. i get very quiet.
until i get a muscle biopsy i cannot say if the pain in my fanny and legs is also related to fibro. i don't think it is, but hey, what do i know? giggle.
perhaps if you can talk yourself into it a bit of creating is in order. balance the mind and sometimes the body follows. at least it will take your mind away for a time.
healing hugs for that mouth of yours, giggle.
peace,
sis aka blue

Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Creating is certainly in order, It helps clear the mind of all things except what's in front of you.

just finished up a burn of dog #2 (added color to this one) and working on a walking stick, carving is done and am adding burned on details today. 2 diamond willow sticks cleaned and waiting to be completed. IF I can keep my wits , focus and energy they'll all get done before my next show in 2 weeks. One of the joys of carving and burning, having several projects going at once really helps when you get to feeling ADD.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sister,
so glad you are already in that head space. fingers crossed you sell out at the show. they sound lovely.
time to get my creative space organized for those long winter days inside. getting outside the pain always helps me too.
i wanna see your pretties! boo hoo. giggle.
just an fyi, going for acu-p on a flare day is not a good idea. neither is driving. it was pure hades. i really ought to listen to my body, sometimes i forget to. like yesterday.
oh well, it's flare season for me anyway. giggle.
happy burning and carving. love that you are adding colors, alters depth.
peace,
sis aka blue

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I just feel like I've been hit by a truck when I am at my worst. This week has been a rough one, I am working, Thank goodness, and am very tired and sore from it. I love this week's job, but am still beat already from it. My TMJD is really, really flaring and that adds to the pain. I can't wear contacts from allergies and even the lightest wire glasses I own hurt my temples and therefore the whole jaw thing. Soft foods are always my friend, and now I am back to warm compresses at night.

Keeping busy is good for a while, but then when I stop, I cant' move again. I feel like an old person and hate it.

Do you have trouble sleeping when in a flare too? I haven't had a good nights sleep in weeks.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrots View Post

Do you have trouble sleeping when in a flare too? I haven't had a good nights sleep in weeks.
I have trouble sleeping all the time. Painful spasms wake me often. What a joy it is waking up to your feet curling up uncontrolable or your back doing the same thing.

About an hour before I want to sleep I take a Flexeril, wait a half hour and take tramadol and a magnesium (malate). That combo keeps me sleeping but not so zonked that I can't get up. I still get up to pee and fall back to sleep easy.

Without anything sleep lasts maybe 2 hrs before i get woke. Used to take melatonin but that only puts me to sleep, not keep me sleeping.

Sorry you're having such a tough week, keeping busy is hard but I'm the same way..idle time is like opening the door so the flare can stomp harder.

Sun is coming out, enjoy the rays and stay as pain free as you can.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
(female)

thav HB User

I'm just coming out of the worst flare of my life. I've been completely exhausted and an increase in pain. But the worst pain for me lately is the arm pain. My elbows, shoulders and wrists burn and the muscle aches... I'm overly sensitive to drugs like Neurontin, Cymbalta and Lyrica. If there are side effects to be had I get them. They won't give me those anymore. I have taken Morphine for years for the adhesion related disorders and lower back pain from a spinal a cord tumor but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the Fibromyalgia. Insomnia seems to plague me too. Kind of hard to sleep when you hurt aye?
I find that I just have to ride the Fibro flares out and my frustration has sent me to couneseling. Does anyone know of any holistic approaches? I'm heading to massage therapy this week to see if it can help me get through the rest of this flare up.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi thav

Counseling is good, since we do need to come to terms with that which we have to deal with. Good for you!

I found that massage can give a great deal of relief one time and exacerbate another. When already in a flare (whether we define it as pain or tiredness, whatever, it all goes together), about all that will help is stretches, rest and some kind of pain reliever; and what works one time may not be effective next time.

But in regard to a holistic approach, for inflammation, about the best and most well known natural treatment is Turmeric. It allows the body to heal & rebalance, but it takes patience. The use of herbs and food supplements is not fast acting like a drug. It won't resolve symptoms in 20-30 minutes. Turmeric use is for rebalance and healing, which takes time, maybe months.

I learned about it a few years back when a PhD medical doctor that specialized in the study of nutrition and natural healing recommended it to me for my stomach pain and indigestion that seemed to be from stress. In that case the inflammation went away in 2-3 weeks.

I had forgotten all about it. I've had FM for many years due to scar tissue, adhesions and bone loss from an accident long ago. More recently have been suffering from acute inflammation which was out of control, all through my body. I kept thinking about the Turmeric and had in my mind associated it with indigestion. I researched it further and discovered it is about the best thing I could take, not harmful to vital organs like the kidneys and liver. So I am just a few days into being back on it.

Since I am just restarting the Turmeric I can't say it's working yet, but I highly recommend reading up about it and trying it. Give it a few months at least. It isn't harmful like drugs can be. I am sensitive to everything and never had any side effects from it.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
(female)

FlamesofAmber HB User

A flare for me seems to be a bit different than most people; mine don't usually involve much muscle pain.

I get stomach issues, and the mood issues get horrible. I do get headaches and a bit of neck pain but nothing to compare with the mood issues. I can't even make myself go into work some days. I usually end up just saying "I NEED to get out of the house" and going in, but being an inbound call center rep isn't exactly a low-stress job.I'm looking for something new, but again, that's not low stress either. High stress levels seem to be what sets me off. I get to the point where I can concentrate or follow a line of thought, I can't think straight. I can't distract myself with anything because the moment I think of something to distract myself with my brain just goes "Nope, don't want to do that" and I can't even make myself get up for that thing. I've not really talked to anyone whose flare-ups seem more emotional than physical before. I think most people who have more emotional than physical flares end up just getting diagnosed with depression or something. Today is a flare up day for me, hence being online instead of at work. I just hope something perks up soon.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
(female)

FlamesofAmber HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thav View Post
I'm just coming out of the worst flare of my life. I've been completely exhausted and an increase in pain. But the worst pain for me lately is the arm pain. My elbows, shoulders and wrists burn and the muscle aches... I'm overly sensitive to drugs like Neurontin, Cymbalta and Lyrica. If there are side effects to be had I get them. They won't give me those anymore. I have taken Morphine for years for the adhesion related disorders and lower back pain from a spinal a cord tumor but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the Fibromyalgia. Insomnia seems to plague me too. Kind of hard to sleep when you hurt aye?
I find that I just have to ride the Fibro flares out and my frustration has sent me to couneseling. Does anyone know of any holistic approaches? I'm heading to massage therapy this week to see if it can help me get through the rest of this flare up.
I'm oversensitive to Lyrica and Indomethacin. I haven't tried Neurontin yet but since my pain/emotions cycle they don't want to put me on something that's a tricyclic. I get the insomnia as well, so I feel ya there. Massage therapy would be a great thing to try, for some reason I've not done that yet. Wonder if the local place has an appointment Friday afternoon? *goes off to hunt down phone book*

Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
(female)

Nrthngrl HB User

For me it is when the all over pain that is part of daily life for me also amplifies and the headache just never goes away. When my jaw starts to hurt, the small joints in my fingers ache, I cramp and spasm more, I "burn" all over and have hardly any energy or ambition. This is usually when I cry. I don't like to cry in front of my fiance, but sometimes he'll find me in tears. When he asks what's wrong I usually just reply "I'm just so tired" or "I'm just hurting".

Old 11-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
(female)

Cerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB User

My flares are kind of a mash up of many things. First, my pain gets increased to the point where I can't juts live with it like I do normally. Then I get extra tired and don't usually get out of bed other then to pee, ha ha. On top of that I get nausea and really moody, like I don't talk to my SO because I am afraid I will spaz out on him for nothing. There is also the headache that seems to never go away... Gotta love Fibro, eh?
(((gentle hugs)))

Closed Thread