It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

lifewithfibro HB Userlifewithfibro HB User
Fibro and Piriformis Syndrome...

I was curious if anyone else with Fibromyalgia has been diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome.

If so, how do you get the excercise you need to keep the fibro in check without causing the piriformis muscle from tightening up and causing horrible sciatic nerve pain?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Fibro and Piriformis Syndrome.....

hello,
sorry to take so long to reply. i have been a huge pain in the arse for almost 4 years now. i do stretches and light aerobic and yoga. i also have pain treatments to my sciatic nerves that gives me several months with low pain levels. i have ablations done. they stun the nerve, basically killing it off till it regenerates. a small amount of steroid is injected along with high frequency radio waves that fry the nerves. so far it is the only thing that helps and i can be active.
i also have massage. deep tissue so we can get at those muscles and pull them straight, get the blood flowing and yes it does hurt like all heck, but later is so worth it for me.
i also find walking helps. it hurts at the time and after but it does loosen things up. i have a mountain i climb behind me.
peace,
bluelakelady

Last edited by bluelakelady; 10-08-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

dck HB User

Hi I have had Fibro for years but reently had a horrific bout with sciatica which left me with a dropped foot and weak left leg. They want to operate on my disc that shows a slight bulge. I am not convinced that I should have surgery as each of the drs seem perplexed that I have had such an affect from it as the bulge seems very small to them Yet they want to operate rather than not.
In my recent research I've come accross Piriformis syndrome and it matches all of my symptoms and makes great sense especially siince I have had fybromyalgia for years.
I am intrigued that you are asking about the 2 syndromes together and wonder what your piriformis symptoms were andhow you got diagnosed with it. Any information you can share would be wonderful. I will do the same for you. Thank you in advance for sharing

Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

horsegirl1216 HB User

I, too, would be interested to know of others symptoms with piriformis syndrome, especially anyone with it long-term. Do your symptoms remain constant? Have you had changes or increases in pain or where you experience pain? I have been told i have piriformis syndrome for over a year, tried all conventional treatments (massage, chiropractor, PT, etc.) and yetmy pain has increased to a debilitating amount. Also, I have experienced other symptoms into both sides of my hips, thighs, nerve pain, and now extreme low back pain with burning and "pulling tightness." They don't think it is my spine, but question internal organ pressure that could actually be the cause of the piriformis pain for all of this time. Heading for a treatment is difficult with out more certainty. Knowing of others experiences with this pain might help determine whether my symptoms really do make sense or not with this syndrome. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

ReachingForHelp HB User
Re: Fibro and Piriformis Syndrome...

Hi, I think I am in the same boat you are. I have fibro and it appears that I have piriformis syndrome as well, though I am still going for tests for other problems just in case. I am unable to sit down. Can you?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

ReachingForHelp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifewithfibro View Post
I was curious if anyone else with Fibromyalgia has been diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome.

If so, how do you get the excercise you need to keep the fibro in check without causing the piriformis muscle from tightening up and causing horrible sciatic nerve pain?

Any advice would be appreciated...
Hi, I think I am in the same boat you are. I have fibro and it appears that I have piriformis syndrome as well, though I am still going for tests for other problems just in case. I am unable to sit down. Can you?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

Mommala HB User

Like you, it is difficult for me to sit and my butt hurts as well as my legs. (Pillows help) I am still waiting for my Fibro dx from a rheumy, however, in speaking with my neuro and telling him about my sciatic pain, he said I do not have sciatica (inflamed nerve) but sciatic pain caused by the Fibro. Sciatica usually only hurts on one side at a time.

I also researched piriformis and there are many exercises on <the internet> that you can find and I have found helped me. They are relatively easy and you can do one just sitting in a chair, crossing your one leg over the other so that your ankle is on your knee and gently pushing your knee down toward the floor for the count of 10. This stretches the muscle that is causing the pressure on the nerve. I liken it to carpal tunnel. If you can manage, try increasing the number of times you can do this exercise.

Also, in my humble opinion, back surgery almost NEVER works for bulging discs. I found a great chiro who worked on all of mine and he helped me tremendously. I think the trick is to find the right chiro so don't give up. I am also researching foods that cause flare-ups and found some very interesting facts under the night shade family of foods. My best to you.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-15-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
(female)

Squiggie HB User

I think I have it too and I'd describe it as intense burning pain as opposed to the throbbing aching pain of fibro. Does that sound about like what you guys with piriformis syndrome are experiencing? I've read about people doing exercises for it. I have the world's largest collection of ice pacs and I just bought another one, a really big one.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-19-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Reply Reply