It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
(female)

esbashar1 HB User
excrutiating foot and hand pain

I am having increasing severe pain in my hands and feet. When I wake up they are hurting so much, it's painful to move them. It all gets better as the day goes on usually but if my day involves a lot of walking, my toes will throb and my feet will hurt so bad I want to cry. Then it's awful again at night. It's pain through the whole foot and massage and heat are the only things that bring even slight relief. I try to wear good quality shoes but I'm wondering if there are specific shoes that are better to wear. I've had fibro for almost 20 years and the overall pain level has been down for a while but this pain is horrible. I don't know what doctor to even go see- the neurologist that treats my fibro or a podiatrist or a pain doctor. It's so limiting for me - I work full time but do almost nothing at home. I'd welcome any ideas.

The following user gives a hug of support to esbashar1:
tuttobella (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: excrutiating foot and hand pain

HI, I also have fibro and suffered w/ severe hand pain and someone mentioned to knock out the diet drinks and artificial sweetners and within two weeks the pain went away! Somehow it causes neuropathy or something. I'd give that a try if you use them. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
(female)

esbashar1 HB User

Thanks. I already avoid aspartame completely. I use splenda in coffee but that's the only artificial sweetener. I don't do any diet drinks. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User

Truly you have my sympathy. I know exactly how you're feeling. I, too, wake up in the morning and have to sit on my bed a little while so I can get use to the foot pain and see if I can stand to put weight on my feet because they are hurting so bad. Some mornings I've even used a cane which I keep near my bed. The pain never goes away. The middle finger on my right hand is totally numb and the doctor, a rheumy who truly does work with me, says in all honesty, he doesn't know what to do. We've tried every medicine out there. The Lydoderm patches give some relief and I'd truly be worthless without them. The valoren(?) cream gives a little relief to the hands but I can only use this at night. I'm taking a mixture of morphine (15 mgs) three times a time and vicodin (5/500) for relief of the pain. Keep posting to let us know if your pain goes away and what you do for it. I find the only shoes I'm able to wear are tennis shoes. Never had a fetish for shoes, but I do wish I could wear something else. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
(female)

sophia554 HB Usersophia554 HB User

Have you already tried Gabapentin (brand name neurontin)? It is, I believe, quite a bit similar to Pregabalin (Lyrica) which I know is often prescribed for Fibro and it often effectively deals with nerve pain. Gabapentin, having been on the market longer than Lyrica, is often cheaper or covered by co-pays.

Also, how do the temperatures of your feet and hands seem? Reynauds and similar vascular issues are often the precursor to actual chronic nerve pain...
Good luck, I hope you feel better!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
(female)

I have tried it all I believe. I tried the Lyrica which didn't do a thing. Savella didn't do a thing. Cymbalta didn't do a thing. And the last thing we tried, the Gabapentin, didn't do a thing, but only made me extremely loopy (well even more so than I had been). But I must say, I have been in so much pain lately, I've gone back and found my Gabapentin hoping it will help the pain. I am only taking it at night so I don't have to worry about messing up at work. Yes, unfortunately I'm one of those people still working a full time job. That's why I'm always trying to find something to take the pain away. And Lord, don't let the temperature change, either from hot to cold or vice versa, because that encompasses another set of rules. My hands and feet seem to be the same. Neither too cold or too hot. Just normal. I think it's just neuropathy. But I wonder why the neuropathy has to hurt so much. Not to mention the nerve pain in my neck radiating down to the shoulder and down both arms. I just can't win for losing.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

Shucks that is too bad- the gabapentin doesn't help any of my normal fibro symptoms, either- but it DID cut down a lot on the degree of burning pain I was experiencing. I also had moderate relief for a period of time with a lumbar sympathetic nerve block. I know that many other patients in the pain clinic have ongoing MAJOR success with these nerve blocks, generally complete reversal, but my CRPS which is the cause of my nerve pain is non responsive (this is specific to some and not all CRPS patients). This is probably more invasive than desirable but I thought I'd mention it. Again good luck

OH-- and re:weather/heat- you know those hand warmer things for your pockets in the winter? They make these little bands that wrap around your palms to hold them and they are just awesome indoors on both your hands and feet when your body can't make up its mind...

Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
(female)

esbashar1 HB User

I tried the gabapentin several years ago after I kept gaining weight on Lyrica. I had a bad reaction to it - motor problems and cognitive dysfunction. My doctor told me to stay away from it. I currently take Cymbalta and Ultram for the fibro and also take requip generic for RLS. I bought a pair of Croc sandals yesterday to see if they helped and the foot pain is much better tonight. I wore my regular shoes to work but slipped into the sandals while I was there and running my errands tonight. I don't know if it will last or not but I did order a couple more pair that are on a really good sale on their website tonight. I appreciate all the input and I'll let you know if the relief lasts.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Have you tried yoga and water aerobics? They help my hands and feet, the rest of me too and they are non impact but get the blood flowing to those areas and it helps alot. If I am not exercising, my feet tend to hurt more and go numb in places too.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
(female)

Where do you participate? I am interested in this idea myself but am concerned about the water being too cold at public pools and too damn expensive at rehab centers....

Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
(female)

I also soak my feet a lot using epsom salt and have soaked my hands in hot water. Boy it feels great when the appendiges are soaking, but the pain comes back when out of the water. I used to also get shots for the painful area, but discontinued because they only lasted for about three days and these were out of pocket expenses for me.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I go to a fitness center which has a warm water pool and classes. I am a member so it costs me nothing extra. However, often fitness centers will offer where you can just purchase a pool membership, or even just pay for the water aerobic classes which makes them affordable. Sometimes you can do this through a local Y, schools or university. There was a member on this board said she even inquired at a local hotel and they let her use the pool for a fee. Just be sure it's warm water, above 80 degrees.

Last edited by Pammyann; 10-20-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
(male)

bkatz295 HB User

I have had FM for 15 yrs and take take Gabapentin. I will use Bayer Back and Body during flare ups. Most of my pain is in the fingers and toes. They feel swollen, but are not. The also will feel hot. I will ice down before bed which allows me to sleep.
For years the doctors never believed my symptoms due to normal blood tests and xrays. Finally, a Neurologist researching FM at the Ohio State University hospital made the FM connection. She also stated that in her research, there is a high correlation of hearing loss and hammer toes in the family.

Closed Thread