It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Bumps or muscle knots

Hi all. I've suspected I have had a very slight case of fibro for the last 10 years. My mom had lupus and I have been tested for that since I was 21 and my blood work was always okay for lupus. So since this fibro is sort of an immune disease, I thought I would ask a question. My pain is usually not horrendous. A day here or there is very bad and need a pain pain. I had a 360 back fusion last year due to spondy. My legs were always aching and I could not walk much. But now my upper left arm is hurting, like a pulled muscle. I can feel bumps or whatever they are on my muscle. Sometimes they are small and sometimes they are large. I had no injury so I have no idea what else it could be. 2 docs told me it was a lipoma but I think differently. So my question is what do fibro lumps or knots feel like? Do they cause soreness? I'm deciding whether to go to a rhumologist after the holidays. I have no weakness although it feels that way. BTW my legs still ache alot so maybe it's all connected to fibro. Any feedback would be great Thank you in advance Linda

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Bumps or muscle knots

Linda, has your fusion healed completely ? 360, you lost me there can you explain. I also have spndylolethesis but have resisted fusion so far. I slap on the tens pads and crank it up to 10 when I know it'll be an active day. Do you have any other weak spots in your back that could be causing arm problems? It's going to take time for your nerves to heal so the soreness in the legs may go away slowly.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

I can't really describe what a knot feels like but can tell you they hurt like hades and can be worked out with massage (it hurts alot to massage but the pains worth it if it gets the knot or spasm gone)

Have you had any other FMS symptoms to go with those knots. If you suspect FM, why wait to see a rhuemy, you'll have plenty of tests to rule out other things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
(female)

Hi yes my fusion healed completely but of course it didn't take all the pain away. My legs are a bit stronger now but I did suffer a lot of nerve damage. Yes my back is loaded with buldging or herniated discs. From C spine all the way down. So maybe these things are a symptom of my back problems. Just trying to get some feedback on fibro. I am due to see my spine doc real soon so I will ask him also.
The lumps I feel are like a lump of something under my skin. You can't see them from the outside. I guess I didn't explain it well. But I've always had fibro on the back on my mind and when these started to hurt I thought it had to do with fibro. I do have terrible IBS, mind fog, and some of the other symptoms and I know many fibro sufferers have CFS symptom but not for me. I can sleep forever. 10 hours a night plus 2 hours for a nap. Like today, I couldn't do nothing after I cleaned up around 12:00 but 3 hours later I am up and ready to go. Someone had said something about fibro knots so I just thought I would ask. Thanks for your reply. ps the fusion was a lot easier then I thought!

Last edited by NJLinda; 11-04-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

All the symptoms do point to FM, but you should see a rhuemy to be sure, FM can mimic many other things. Try massaging the knots yourself and see if the ease up or go away.

I love hearing fusion stories with successful endings. My fear is after the fusion that any weaker areas ( I have a few ) needing to be fused not long after, they seem to have a ripple effect after the first fusion.
Supposedly my spondy is stable at the moment so I've been trying to ride it out.
My ortho doc says when I'm ready he's ready. Also that I'd never be pain free and the best case scenario would be to ease the back pain as much as 80% but don't count on that as a given, it's always possible that there would be no change at all.

I hope this found you feeling better today

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The proper name for fibro knots are trigger points. If you have a lot of trigger points, you have myofascial pain, which is sort of like fibro. Some doctors think the two conditions are the same.

Definitely, massage helps a lot with the knots. Stretching, gently tensing and releasing the muscle may release them. If it's too painful to massage right on them, then try massaging nearby.

It's worth a try, anyway.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
(female)

Thank you both for replying and I will see a rheumy

Closed Thread