It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

TessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB User
Trigger Point Injections

My pain management doc did some trigger point injections on my back and upper buttock area and at first it was great-no pain-but now 3 weeks later, I have pain in all the places he gave me the shot. Not just general pain like I had before. Plus I am getting stiffness and achiness in my thighs, which I've never had before.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Trigger Point Injections

hi tessa,
i discussed it with my pain doc. she does not like to do them. says they don't last long enough and can cause more pain after they wear off. needless to say i opted not to do those. i do have my massage team work on my trigger points and tender points. that works for about 5 days then it slowly creeps back just in time for the next massage.
have you called your doctor to report this event?
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

TessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB User

He is such a sweet guy I hate to tell him anything bad--but I will. Or maybe I just won't go back to him. He seems to be only interested in neck and back pain and is always talking up the Thera-Cane which I find awkward to use and not that helpfull.

Last edited by TessaAnne; 11-18-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Now, when I get a bad back spasm, I adore trigger point injections.

However, I don't get them in my neck, because the spasms there are a 24-7 phenomenon, and they return within a week of the shot. The injections are most useful if you can keep the muscles loose through exercise.

Also, there is what I call the "pain donut effect." The shot knocks out the worst pain, but all the sore muscles around it immediately begin clamoring for attention, so you have pain in a ring around the shot area.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Ouch! So sorry to hear you have rebound pain with this therapy. I have had a lot of these injections, but my doctor also gave botox injections in nearby muscle groups (which also helped). I didn't have the same problem you are having so I'm wondering if this is why. It's something to think about.

Kirstee

Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

That is exactly the right description for me-a pain donut effect! Thank you for that. If I decide to see him again I will describe it that way-maybe he won't think I am just a whiner.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Hi,

I haven't posted in awhile, but here I am again trying to explain trps vs fibro. It has been a long road for me. I'd like to share what I've learned. We are all different. I ask that you read my post with an open mind.

Trigger point injections are for chronic myofascial pain. Trigger points are not fibromyalgia, although some people with fibro do have CMP. When you have a trp injection, it releases the muscle that is covering for another muscle. When it is released another trp may become active (as opposed to latent.) I no longer have fibro. No symptoms at all and believe me I had many weird symptoms and was in a world of pain. Now my problem is CMP. In the beginning, when i was first diagnosed with fms and cmp, I couldn't move my neck and my muscles were in knots that compressed on nerves. I was in a world of pain. I was started on trp injections, and slowly over about 4 years got better; I had been bedridden. I had chains of trigger points down my body, I even got plantar fascitis in my feet. I still have trp's that are latent. If i over do it, like say lift wrong or paint a room or babysit little kids, etc., One or a group of trps will become active and I have to have injections. One visit is not enough. If I re-injure myself (insanity on my part), then I usually have to go to my pain doctor for treatment for 4 to 8 weeks. When one trp is treated, it may have to be injected again. Once may not be enough.

For example I had gluteal pain from trps, it hurt to sit. I had hip flexer muscle trps from my tummy pulling my pelvis forward which caused the butt pain. I had to be treated in my hip flexer muscles and do core exercises and have physical therapy and more injections and then injections in my glutes. It took about 8 weeks, but I am fine now. Losing weight in my tummy and exercises and stretching help me stay loose and are improving my core muscles.

In other words, You can't expect one or two trp injections to do the job.
and fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain are not the same thing. Some people have cmp without fibro or fibro w/o cmp. Most of us have both, but it is my opinion that a lot of people with fibro either don't know or don't understand what cmp is and just suffer because they don't get trp injections and phyicial therapy, to rub out the muscles that have been injected. A muscle can easily go right back to a knot after a trp injection. That's why stretching is so important.

If you want more information about trps and you truly want to invest the time and energy to recover, get the book Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain by Devin Starlanyl. This book saved me physically and mentally. I thought I was going crazy. It was all in her book. And get your trps treated. I am pain free. I was struck with fibro and cmp and bed ridden in 2004. I have been symptom free for a few years now, unless like i said I re-injure myself, which is just insanity on my part.

A lot of people on this board won't explain trps because it's so complicated. Do a search on this board. and get the book. even is you just have fibro; it covers everything.

If you have cmp, you only have to keep suffering if you want to. Really.

Rose

Closed Thread