It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
(female)

ria2011 HB User
Angry fibromyalgia issues!!

I have recntly diagnosed by my dr that i have fibromyalgia because i am having extremely shooting pain around my neck through whole back/feeling tiredness/stiffness. I do have already previous health issues with irritable bowl syndrome/acid reflex/hital hernia and chronic sinus. Anxiety and depression:confused

my recent pain is killing me i am using RUB.A535 it does help but pain comes back again. my dr gave me cymbalta 30mg to start for a week.

I am very afraid of gaining weight, i quit smoking recently so do not like to add more pounds on top of that!

Tonight i could not controll my pain and i took cymbalta one capsule...
will it help me to sleep?

I am insomiac so any suggestions/tips/help and advise will be greatly appreciated!!

This is my first time have no clue how to use thid site but manage to crawl up to here an dhope i am in the right place with right neighbourhood

please help me!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
(female)

>karen< HB User
Wink Re: fibromyalgia issues!!

Hello Ria. I am sorry to hear that you have Fibro. I was recently diagnosed as well. (December 2011). I have tried Elavil 25 mg (quit due to severe constipation after 14 days) and I am now trying Lyrica 75mg. My main pain areas are neck and shoulder area but every now and then I get major pains in my lower back/tail bone region and in my knees. My Fibro is linked to depression after three miscarriages following infertility treatments over the past three years and the "emotional trauma". So, I have major issues with sleep, focusing, migraines, etc. I have not tried Cymbalta but Lyrica is working well for me without the digestive issues. The problem is that I heard Lyrica caues you to gain weight and I am 5 4" at 152 already so I don't need any extra pounds. But I do exercise so we will see what happens. But I have been sleeping well since taking Lyrica. Elavil was great also but the side effects sucked. It is all a trial and error with these drugs and finding one that works best for you and your body ( and insurance company) Elavil was a 10.00 co-pay and Lyrica is 35.00. Some other things I have done are not drinking caffeine after six (which kills me as I love diet coke) and not working out too late as that interrupts sleep patterns. Also, I don't go in my bedroon anymore unless I am really ready to sleep. I don't chill out in the bedroom like I used to. I hope some of what I have told you can help. Good luck to you. We fibromites have to stick together! Take care, Karen

Last edited by >karen<; 05-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
(female)

chloeannthedog HB User
Re: fibromyalgia issues!!

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. This is one that people to not understand (most people think that is just a made up disease.). As far as the Cymbalta, you have to be on it for about 7-10 days before you really notice any change in your symptoms. It works well once it is built up in your system. I gained 20 lbs taking it, but my best friend (also diagnosed with fibro) lost almost 80 lbs while taking it. It has a lot to do with your body's make-up.

I had to stop the Cymbalta, one because I could not afford it (my co-pay was $75), and two because of the weight gain. Then coming off the Cymbalta is hard (dizziness, ringing in ears, hands shaking). I now take Elavil (generic name is amitriptlyne) for FM. It is a 4 script at Kroger for 30 day supply and it works well. It really does help with sleep and helps with the daytime pain/soreness, even on the worst days.

I wish you much sucess in your search for feeling better.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
(female)

Shadowsmom42 HB User

Shooting pain 'around the neck' is not FMS. Has your doctor done any MRI's or CT Myelogram to see if you have a pinched nerve? I suddenly woke one morning with pain in my neck and pain down my right arm....kinda funny as I could not hold my arm still...anyhow, they found I had a complete impingement and that I needed an ACDF at the C6-C7. Just a thought for you......

Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi ria,
welcome to the boards. have you tried sleepy time tea? otc benadry is also helpful with sleep. my daughter takes cymbalta and does well on it. she has fibro also. she is skinny like me. she sleeps great, but then she always could sleep thru an earthquake. giggle.
i don't take meds for fibro but many of us here do. they will be helping you get the hang of it. glad you found us. stick around, we're a bit goofy but loads of fun.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I have found that a change of diet has helped. Granted it doesn't help the pain but helps my IBS and overall on how I feel. I am taking Cymbalta but it doesn't help my pain but it does wonders for my depression. Its the best thing ever. I have always been skinny and when I was on clonezapam I lost tons of weight to where you could see my spine and hip bones. It was gross. I stopped that and have since gained 50 lbs but am not overweight. Miss fitting into my clothes LOL.

Sorry I was rambling there. I agree that a MRI or CT would be a good idea for your neck. I have the shooting pain in my neck but I also have 3 bulging discs and the rest of the disc are deterioating (sp) pretty bad.

Thing with fibro is to listen to your body. Don't overdo it. HUGS

The Following User Says Thank You to mom477 For This Useful Post:
Rhaquel (05-20-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Welcome to the board!
Cymbolta helps with pain but it is a nightmare to weine off of so please be very careful! I almost went I the ER because I was so dehydrated from the withdrawals of going off it. Was in so much pain & extremely sick for a week before I started getting better.
I never gained weight from any of my meds. I gained right after my last pregnancy when Fibro really came on, before any meds. I just haven't been able to lose it.
I have a degenerative disk in my lower back which causes shooting pains. I injured my back in 05 but managed for years. Then when fibro pain hit, it became very painful which was my first major pain because of fibro. Then my neck, shoulder & upper back pain which never goes away either. I was getting headaches about 90% of the time & rest got rid of those except when I'm in a flare, migrain like headache & very sick.
Anyhow, I suggest Bupropion which is generic Wellbutrin for Anxiety & Depression. It doesn't have all the side effects like other meds, works good & people even use it to quit smoking. It's known for causing weight loss instead of weight gain.
When you have fibro you're never pain free. I'm always atleast sore. Cymbolta & all those do help, but they only help pain be manageable. I've tried med free & was in too much pain to get off the couch which isn't good with 4 kids. I have to take meds. I take tramadol for pain which takes the edge off. I try not to take it very often but even then it doesn't always work & always takes two hours to do anything. But that's the strongest my Rhum will prescribe. I never take pain meds after 5pm or they'll keep me awake. I have a glass of wine instead if needed.
I take a muscle relaxer called flexeril before bed. Knocks me out 20 mins later, love it!
You can also take melatonin which you get buy anywhere & natural. For me I wake up all morning and can't stay asleep if I take it but it usually works good for everyone else. I give it to my 12 yr old & helps her sleep.
Living with fibro you have to change the way you live. You have to pace yourself, rest allot, not over do it, ect. The pain & fatigue can be unbearable. Even just over doing it alittle it can take weeks to recover at all.
I get IBS really bad from stress. Maybe controlling that will help you allot. I know stress is something you can't avoid but do your best. I notice I get stressed & really grumpy if I'm on my feet too lon & need to rest. I may my head down often during the day or my neck pain hurts more.
Anyhow, hope it helps
Doctors can tell you what to do & write prescriptions. But coming here has been the most benificial. Everyone is so supportive & helpful! Things would be 10x harder for me if I never found this place. I really hope the same for you
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread

Tags
acidreflex, anxiety attacks, extreme pain, insomnia, irrational fear