It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

kyeotp HB User
How do you cope?

I'm so tired of pain day in and day out. Going to pain management now, but I知 still in the trail stages of what will work and won稚 work. I have RA also and I知 so stiff, it gets so difficult to move, get up and down. I知 recovering from breast cancer, so I can稚 take any type of medication that suppresses your immune system. I wake up every morning around 3 am in so much pain I have to take a pain pill. I知 in recovery, been clean for 8 years. My doc is aware of this, but now I知 getting the feeling that he is a little too careful on giving me certain meds. Now I知 wondering if I should have even told him. I just hope that he will work with me and trust that I知 being honest with him and he will treat me and get me comfortable, especially since I知 honest with him in all my affairs. Has anyone ever been in this situation and have you had positive results to where you were able to find relief from your pain?
Any advice would be so deeply appreciated.
Hope you are all well tonight. (((((hugs to all)))))

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: kyeotp
catkaru (03-09-2012), thefarm (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: How do you cope?

I dont' really have an answer. I have not had the other issues you have, just osteoarthritis and fibro. I don't handle it well though. I still have a lot of pain and dont want to start with drugs, but need to. My rheumy just thought that cymbalta wold be a good place to start, but I am a wreck thinking about taking it. I wish I could help you more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
(female)

kyeotp HB User

Thanks for replying!!! I look forward to your post!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I wish the best for you as well. I hope someone who has a good answer will reply.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Sometimes I will read a post but not able to always post.

I have suffered with pain for as long as I can remember (am 35 yrs old). Was diagnosed with FM Dec 2009. I also have degenerative disc disease that presents other issues and wonder if I may have arthritis as joints hurt. I take cymbalta, 60mg, once a day. Take tramadol as often as I need it. Pain is never completely gone. I just take it day by day these days and just cope as best I can. Last couple months I am not able to do things that I used to do such as some housework and cooking etc. I am stuck on the couch or in bed nowadays.

Hope you are able to find ways to cope. HUGS

Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hello
Please don't take it personal if there are many views but no replys... I know I like to contribute best I can but sometimes I just can't focus or so miserable I don't wanna move. I often will read a post & respond later...

I think we all handle everything our own way. Unfortuetly you have a lot on your plate! Stuff I couldn't imagine going through. I know that having family that is supportive helps allot.

Nicer weather has helped me allot but tend to over do it. I always have a need to do more than I should to help my family. But I have learned to pick my battles. I have started putting exercise at the top of my list. I'm sure my husband hates that I rarely take care of the farm animals these days & leave it for him. But I need this. Exercise really does help & if I'm doing everything else, I don't exercise...
I know it's easy to turn to meds, but I dO my best to avoid them. I take wellbutrin, savela, Armour thyroid, flexeril & vitamins. I only take tramadol when I am Hurting so much that I become a total witch to my family. That's when I realize I'm not coping so well...
Do you take muscle relaxers? My flexeril helps me sleep through the night. Without it i can't sleep then when I do I wake up constantly.
I'm sorry, I wish I were more help... I think talking to others that know what you are going through helps. It's not only physically painful, it also very challenging mentally.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I'm back...................however I don't take any meds so can't help you with regards to what you could take - have you tried alternatives at all. I'm petrified of taking any meds due to the side effects - one of my clients was saying today that a member of her team whose had a disk problem was hospitalised for a week as she coughing up blood - turns out it was ulcers from the painkillers - and that's why unless it's life saving I do my best to stay clear of them. I had to take ibuprofen and paracetamol for a week a few weeks ago as I literally could hardly move a millimetre!

I would really really encourage you to look at alternatives:- gentle exercise - walking/swimming/pilates; warm baths; gentle massage; vitamins; light box etc - if you do a search of this forum there's lots and lots written on other options besides meds. It's of course an individual choice I sometimes wonder whether meds a re seen as an easy option.

I was doing some research for a friend with cancer and it was advocating exercise for everyone with cancer/recovering from cancer - so it could well be a double bonus

Keep asking questions - there's always people who reply (sadly all too often the same people which REALLY frustrates me - but that's the same in life always - a job needs doing - give it to a busy person. I work/have a family/am selling a house/moving country (to the sun - hurrah ) so am not on this forum as much as I would like but check in every day - so please keep asking as someone somewhere will be able to help x

Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

First I want to say how great it is you have 8 years clean. It's a huge accomplishment and wish you many more re-birthdays.

I think ways of coping differ between many of us. Me, I just keep pushing as far as I can without sending myself into a flare. You'll learn when to stop as you learn what coping mechanisms you'll use. Low impact exercises also help me and I know I should do that more.
I do take meds but so far nothing stronger than tramadol and I also take cymbalta and Flexeril. My rheumy is in the less you take the better camp and it took a long time to get the tramadol script. He did suggest I try pain management, but I'm uninsured at this time so that was a no go. I also take a small regimin of vitamins and minerals.
I've learned one thing that does help is to keep my mind busy. Weather it's reading a book, surfing the net or busy with a hobby or 2. The less time you give your mind to acknowledge the pain the less time you feel it.

As far as your recovery and the doc knowing, you did the right thing letting him know and I'm guessing if you hadn't let him know it would have likely eaten at you some. Just from the whole coming clean process and owning up to what you did to people close to you and yourself. Telling the dr in some way is part of that I'd think.
The doc may take things a little slower than he would to a non addict just to be sure he isn't sending you down a road you don't want to take ever again.

Now down to the dirt, getting rid of the pain...nope for me it's never totally gone and I don't think it will ever be gone. Even in non flare times the pain persists just on a lower scale. The scripts I take help keep it at a half tollerable level. That brings us back to the beginning...how do you cope. What a vicious circle 'eh

Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

It is very frustrating, but I take it day by day, since my symptoms change ALL the time, pain, fatigue, FOG....I am~according to my past labs borderline Lupus and RA...supposedly I was miss diagnosed with the Lupus, medicated for it and then taken off by a Rhuematologist. Confusing Diseases. I have other issues too, new and old. So I figure day by day is the only way to go for now!
tiff-cher

Closed Thread