It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

Cerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB User
Denied for disability

This was my first application, and from what I hear they like to turn you down the first time no matter what...but it still took the wind out of my sails. The main reason they turned me down was because my doctor was retarded and filled out maybe 1/10 of the paper work I needed him to do and he didn't ask me any questions at all. Bah! Now I'm on the hunt for a new doctor and it could be another year before I hear back from disability.
Don't they think that if I could be working, I would be? If there were medications I could take to help, I would be taking them? I've been on almost every antidepressant under the sun, except for the big 3 fibro drugs because 2 of them can mess with your heart rhythm (I already have issues with that) and the other one can make you gain weight, which is something I fight with already.
I hate feeling so worthless because my SO is the one paying all of the bills and I can't contribute like a girlfriend should be.
I could use a little pick me up
(((gentle hugs)))

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: Cerene
catkaru (03-22-2012), mom477 (03-23-2012), ms anxiety (03-27-2012), teresa46d (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Denied for disability

hi cerene,
reaching out and lifing you up with big bright balloons. hey girl, compost happens in life. how much you earn in money is not who you are. bet you do things around the house to help out. all effort to be a balanced couple counts. even if it's cleaning the loo!
for sure find another doctor AND perhaps a well worded letter to the current doc after you get all your records from them. you can get them for free if you tell them you are taking it to another doc. after you get them fire his arse with a nice letter.
i would at this point suggest you retain an attn. for the appeal process. remember tho you do your homework, not them. that way you can be sure you have what you need.
peace and a bright purple balloon,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

To appeal I need to get another doctor to fill out the forms again, and it's going to take at least 3 weeks to get a new one...they gave me 30 days to appeal. So, what do I do?

Also, I do do a lot around the house. I joke that I'm practicing to be a house/trophy wife. Ha ha.

Last edited by Cerene; 03-22-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi cerene, My advice is to get a local atty. that specializes in disability cases. They can file your appeal and they know all the correct ways to get the paperwork done. They don't get paid if you don't win. If you get in touch with them right away, you should have plenty of time to find out if they will take your case or if you will need to file your own appeal. I know it is a long drawn out process, but having someone who knows what to do in your corner sure helps. My hubby went through this and I know we could not have done it without the atty.

Glojer

Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I filed the first papers my self in Feb 2011 & suffered the consequences... What a nightmare...
So when I was denied I was prepared mentally, I knew I would be. I procrastinated on the appeal because I didn't want to go through all the work & flare again. I hired a company at that time so they do all the work for me they aren't lawyers but I do wonder if I hired a lawyer would I have been approved by now... But I've had bad experience with crooked lawyers when I was in a battle with my ex so I just couldn't hire one...
I've been denied twice & one the next phase. Awaiting to be seen by a judge which makes me nervous because I look healthy. But this is the phase when people get it so I know I will be really depressed if it isn't approved... But I would still keep going for it... I have to get it eventually. Like you, I would be working if I could. I would still be working hard on our farm if I could. People keep calling wanting birds & I want to hatch them do bad but all the work involved to care for them is to much... It's depressing...
We're barely scraping by & I really need to bring in money. But even not working I do allot & tend to overdo it allot. So I know Im not worthless, just feels like it.
Anyhow, we are our own enemy's. I beat myself up & if my husband makes a hurtful comment I get depressed then angry... All we can do is do our best... Be patient.. You will get it, just may take longer than planned...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Last edited by thefarm; 03-23-2012 at 10:32 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
Phoenix (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

See an Atty that specializes in SSD...I know a lot of people don't want to pay a lawyer BUT it is so worth it..they take their cut when you're approved and if you see a Atty that wants money upfront find another Atty. It is against the Law for the Atty to want money first.

My Atty was great. She was worth every penny she received.

Whatever you do please DON'T start all over again..use all your paperwork that you have now..SSD will see that you've been trying for however long it takes for you to be approved.

Can you get the doctor who filled out 1/10th of your paperwork to finish it? you have to sit right there with him while he asks you questions.

Good Luck

~Belle~

Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
(female)

We will both get it Tori! I'm in the same boat as you with the doing stuff around the house. Out of the 3 people living in the house I'm the only one who does the cleaning other than dishes, mostly because I don't let them even though I should. My SO was telling me the other day about how much he appreciates me doing all the stuff around the house, but I shrug it off. It doesn't seem like much to me because I know I should be out working, having a social life, and all that stuff a 21 year old should be doing...but then I sit down and look at it from a different perspective. I'm 21 but disabled by a chronic illness that leaves me looking healthy but so sick on the inside and yet I'm still able to clean the kitty litter, do the laundry, clean the bathroom and kitchen, sweep the bathroom and kitchen, cook dinner some nights, and vacuum when ever it decides to work. I would much rather be out making money so it's easier to make ends meet, but we do what we can. Right? We are strong women who do what we can!

The following user gives a hug of support to Cerene:
thefarm (03-25-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
(female)

Belle: Sadly, no. I had to push him to do that little bit and I already told the clinic that I want to see a new doctor so I don't want to go back to him. I also can't afford an Atty, sadly. I barely have enough money to pay for my meds and my phone bill every month, let alone an Atty even when I do get on disability. I don't know if I need an atty to get on the disability I'm applying for anyways, they told me to just call and tell them I was going to appeal which I still need to do. I'm hoping that I can just file the doctor's stuff again and that it'll be easier for everyone.
Thanks for all of the replies everybody! It really helps to know others have gone through this and come out on the positive side of things!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Just to say again Cerene, you don't pay the attorney unless you get the disability. That is the law. They get a percentage of your backpay or initial settlement or whatever it is called, sorry can't remember the phrase and you get the rest, plus you then will draw disability.

The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
fibrowendy (10-19-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Glojer is right. It is so worth it to get an Atty. He/She takes their cut when they win your case. They get paid first then you get a Check.

Getting a Disability Check for the rest of your life or when you can return to work is worth getting an Atty.

You don't pay an Atty up front. That is against the Law. PLUS when you get your first Check their money is already taken out. You don't have to to worry about handling any money.

Take Care

~Belle~

Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I agree, it is so worth it to have someone do all the work for you! You can call around & see who can take your case then go in for a free consultation. If they think you can get it, they'll take the case... This will save you time, work & sanity
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
(female)

I called today and they are sending me the paperwork I need to fill out to start the appeal process, and then I need to get ready to talk to a committee. I have no idea what to say to them. I don't have any medical stuff to back up my claims right now, and I don't know if me just telling them why I can't work is good enough.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cerene:
thefarm (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Right now you can tell them you symptoms, what you can't do anymore & why. As much info as possible. You can start seeing doctors & having medical to back you up. Make sure to see a Rhumetologist or Nuerologist to back you up. Your primary won't be enough to support your claim.
I read somewhere that once you get a diagnosis of fibro to file for disability right away. So you may not have much now but you will. I gave them info of the dr I seen for years when this all started. It's not much but shows I complained clear back from 2000 on...
I don't think they ever really checked into it so I'm going to make copies of the paperwork/records I have & send it in.

I wish I would have started filing after I was diagnosed but I waited a few months till I knew with out a doubt I had to file...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Btw, among many reasons...
My primary had to answer questions from SS. He asked me questions like if I can raise my hands above my head. I showed him I could, but not repetitive. If I could lift more than 10 pounds. I said yes but not repetitive, maybe 2 or 3 times. I have back issues & it locks up & easily painful. Allot of the questions I was asked were yes & no. The ones that were yes he noted I couldn't do it very long & not repetitive. It's stuff like that, that helps.
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
(female)

I don't see, or even live in the same town as, the doctor who diagnosed me. But I will mention him. I was able to work for 2 years consistently after I was diagnosed, but the last year got hard and I missed so much work because of my fibro. Should I give them my old employer's name? I'll start writing down all of that stuff, thank you for the advice! I'm going in to finally get a referral to a rheumy on tuesday, so hopefully the wait list isn't too long.

My current doc won't even bother doing stuff like that with me. It's like he doesn't believe me when I tell him I have fibro and I want to do something about it. Can't wait till I geta new one.

Last edited by Cerene; 03-27-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Closed Thread