It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

janielou75 HB Userjanielou75 HB User
How long do flare ups last

I have been having a bad flare up for almost a month now.
I tried to go out and do gardening and I find myself having a hard time breathing and my pain is so bad I have to come in and rest.
I have had fibro for many years but never had this symptom this bad but I have had it before and it went away.
This time it's lasting a long time.
Maybe it's because I am getting older I don't know.
Any stories you can share with me about flare ups would be appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to janielou75:
Bettsann (04-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
Re: How long do flare ups last

It is normal, but frustrating. Sometimes bouncing back is easier than others. I just did a really long work week and my shoulders are burning, my back spasmed and is now going to be a problem for days on end. I know how it is. I get so mad that I cant do as much as I used to. After work this week all I could do was muster up the strength to eat, and then I laid down and was in bed by 9 every night. Mornings were brutal. It is tough when you want to go and go and go and cant'.

I try to just retrain my thinking. I tell my kids you can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails. I say, well, it's not a disease, it could be worse. I try to just accept it, sit, have a cup of tea, read a book, whatever it takes and think of how lucky I was to at least do what I just did. It takes work to do this and yes, sometimes it gets the best of me, trust me, I am no saint.

Be kind to yourself. If you continue to push, it will just get worse.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

"you can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails"...
I love that!

Doing more when you need rest seems to slow it down.... I get so tired of everyone treating me like I'm lazy cause I can't go go go anymore, so I tend to do more than I can handle so seem to always be in a flare. The last few weeks more so. But like this morning, hubby asks what I'm doing today. How he says it automatically puts me on the defensive. So even though I'm so exhausted & hurt so bad, I'm laying here thinking about what I should do.
But what do we do? I know I have so much I want to get done...
If you can rest, rest. I really think that's the best way... Just not an easy thing to do...
The other day I took my meds and organized, cleaned, made dinner, cleaned some more. So I was miserable the next day & hubby says "why, you didn't do anything did you?"... Grrrr
Sorry, Im with ya... Tired of this crap...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
(female)

Bettsann HB UserBettsann HB User

Hi Janielou,
Today I had a bad flare up. They are not always weather-related, but I believe this one could be.
I have had FMS for 12 years (diagnosed) and much longer than than (UNdiagnosed) and was relieved to put a label on it!
When it is a really 'bad' flare up it generally doesn't last more than a day...this is when it seems that every part of my body is effected...even the muscles in my FACE hurt... a normal 'act up' --what I call a milder, more annoying 'flare up' for me usually affects the area around my R shoulder especially...and sometimes both shoulder areas. This can last for over a week. FMS can have a really awful effect on my IBS, also.
Its hard to tell how much 'getting older' has to do with it... I am 64 and I think that I need to do a better job of keeping a lot more active....because I do feel this plays a big part in dealing with FMS. I realize that we all suffer with this in so many different ways.
For the most part, I have been really fortunate in that I can go for long periods of time with no seeming trace of FMS.
I have taken different supplements that I feel really helped me and never any Rx meds.
OTC pain relievers don't even begin to TOUCH FMS...
I've found that there is a real connection between my FMS and my anxiety level.
Take heart, though...hopefully it will ease up soon! Wishing you well!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
(female)

Bettsann HB UserBettsann HB User

Janielou, I have something else to add~!...I just wanted to make sure it was OK to mention the supplements that really help me.
Years ago I started taking malic acid several times a day and it did help me quite a bit. But because of IBS, the two don't gel too well!

Then I discovered that my best helper was...and still is: MSM with Glucosamine...(I don't tolerate the chondroitin well). I also supplement these capsules with Vitamin C ...1G capsules... If I take these twice a day, (before bkfst and at bedtime) usually my FMS pipes down and disappears within several days, after a 'flare up.' I'm glad the health food stores keep a goodly supply of MSN with Glucosamine!

I have also found that a trip to my chiropractor has also helped me when it hits in my shoulder areas. These are just ideas that have worked for me.

Closed Thread