It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

quiltergirl HB User

Hello I am new here. Have just learnedly a month ago I have fibro. I started having symptoms flu-like several months ago. About a month ago I got up one morning and could not walk. Every step I tried to walk I would cry in pain. After many tests it was determined I had fibro. I am on cymbalta and have a muscle relaxant in case of a flare. The board seems very informative on different issues regarding this illness. It is good to see how others cope with some of these symptoms.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: quiltergirl
Bettsann (04-16-2012), mom477 (04-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: newbie

Welcome and hugs!!! You will find tons of support here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
(female)

quiltergirl HB User

Thank you.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome to the boards. your legs will be your soft spot i bet. we all have one area that is the most prone to reacting. mine is my legs too. i spent about a decade falling on my face a lot. giggle. just kidding, tho i did get some great moments with my face in the dirt. whatever you do steer clear of using a cane to steady yourself. messes up the rest of you. i ended up in a wheelchair for a good long time.
that was years ago. now i have no wheelchair, gave it away. the walking sticks a canes gather dust and i am still perfecting the art of falling. giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

JustJewlz HB User

Hello quiltergirl!
Welcome to the boards!
I'm the same as bluelakelady and yourself. My legs are the worse spot on me. Just today I walked down the street with my dog and almost had to call my mom to come and get me. (yes, it was that bad!) And don't get me started on feeling like I have the flu! It has become one of my biggest opponents!
I hope medication goes well for you. I know it can be a little tricky to sometimes find the right ones.
Once again, welcome! :]

Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
(female)

sjogrens HB User

My legs are the worst too! I have a connective tissue disease (Sjogren's) that causes painful joints and swelling, but I also have fibro and I think for the past few weeks, they've been fighting each other to see which is going to cause more problems. I think what happened is that a few weeks ago, my Sjogren's flared causing my joint pain and swelling, and then the fibro acted up in the muscles in my legs so it's just all around miserable. Still looking for the right solutions for treatment (I can't take Cymbalta because of my Sjogren's - it caused extremely severe dry mouth, so at some point in the future, we may look into Lyrica or Neurontin). It's tricky having multiple health problems that can all cause similar symptoms, because we're not sure which to treat!!

I hope you feel better soon!

P.S. I have had to call my husband several times to come rescue me (usually from doctors' offices - those fluorescent lights are HORRIBLE) and it is so embarassing. But at least I'm surrounded by doctors/nurses who know I'm sick ;-)

Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
(male)

guitargal HB Userguitargal HB User

Hey! I am new too! Started having extreme full body pain last Oct.
This forum seems to have quite a few people. I have tried a others, but the postings were few and far between. I hope to find friends here and we can support each other.
My pain is so challenging... and the guitar? heck. I have to try to get at it when my wrist/arm pain is low and my energy high...so a few times a week? From someone playing everyday for years to nearly a standstill...emotionally very difficult.

peace

The following user gives a hug of support to guitargal:
mom477 (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Welcome to the board Quiltergirl & Guitargal!
It seems like in the beginning after being diagnosed is the hardest... It's a lot to deal with & having to learn to control. We all still have rough times emotionally & physically which is why I'm so thankful for everyone here!
My worst issue is in my neck, always hurts... Then like today, everything hurts.

Make sure you find the meds that work best for you. Don't settle with whatever the doc prescribes. I'm really happy with Savella, but everyone is different. Cymbolta worked great for pain but made fatigue worst & was a nightmare to wein off of.

If you have questions, never be afraid to ask. Everyone here is so helpful & supportive
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Last edited by thefarm; 04-16-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
(male)

guitargal HB Userguitargal HB User

thanks, and yeah i am till trying to figure out the meds...i heard about the cymbalta weaning of of it....i am on 90 a day and was thinking of going up to 120 but that would just make things harder if it is not working well enough. tough ?'s
thanks again.

Closed Thread