It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Less Sleep = More Pain, also less sleep more weight?

I'm not good at listening to my body but really am trying... One thing I've noticed is how much more pain I'm in if I've had 6 hours or less of sleep. Atleast I think this is the case... Hard to tell because I do tend to over do it.
But like last night, I got a max of 5 hours of sleep & boy do I hurt today! Feels like all my muscles hurt & many joints. I'm still figuring this out...
But does it seem like if you get less than like 6 hours sleep the pain really sets in & harder to do stuff?
Yesterday I started doing stuff outside. You know, cleaning up everyone's messes & cleaning the dead plants out of my strawberries, flowers, ect... Maybe a min after I started my left hand became really weak feeling & hard to use. Both hands, wrists & arms feel sore down to the bone & joints. More weak also...

Also, I have a hard time with my weight. I gained weight out of know where years ago. A few yrs later it melted off very easily. Then when fibro kicked in the weight piled on. I maintain but want to lose.
So I've been reading & found that your body burns fat while you sleep. There was a lot of interesting info on this. I also have chronic/constant derealization & wonder if I slept 8+ hours every night, maybe one day it'll go away... Ive never been a sleeper, usually get 6-7 hrs. I really think life would be enjoyable if I could finally get rid of the derealization. Really sick of it. It's been over 13 years. I'm used to living with it but doesn't make it any easier. I want to feel alive again. Maybe the pain & fatigue would be easier to live with...

I get up with kids at 6:15 so I'd like to fall asleep at 9pm. But that would be hard because that's when everyone else is finally in bed or asleep. This is also my "me" time & I look forward to laying down & not entertaining our youngest or catering to everyone.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on sleep? How does lack of sleep effect you? Are you able to sleep enough & if so does more sleep help?
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Last edited by thefarm; 04-16-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
(male)

guitargal HB Userguitargal HB User
Re: Less Sleep = More Pain, also less sleep more weight?

"But does it seem like if you get less than like 6 hours sleep the pain really sets in & harder to do stuff?
Yesterday I started doing stuff outside. You know, cleaning up everyone's messes & cleaning the dead plants out of my strawberries, flowers, ect... Maybe a min after I started my left hand became really weak feeling & hard to use. Both hands, wrists & arms feel sore down to the bone & joints. More weak also..."

Dr.s tell me i need deeper sleep so the body can heal and replentish, I think that the brain needs to "********" also.
so gutting the right sleep is super important.
I am going to try melatonin,

same thing, with my love of gardening.. i couldn't trowel up the little window box. I couldn't keep my arm at shoulder level and dig the dirt. makes me get upset...and stressed that i can't always do what i used to.... but i HAD lots of sleep.
lately i sleep too much and i can't wake up, feels like waking from ansethia. i go to bed at 1 AM and get up at noon. then 2 hours to even think.coffee coffee .i do a few house work things and have to lay down again.
today i over did it trying to plant one rose bush and could feel the pain start as i became so fatigued.
go figure.

All the Dr.s say to get more deep sleep you need the REM.

hard when every time i roll over i moan cause something hurts..waked me up.
no wonder i sleep till noon.. because i am always waking myself up with the aches and pains.
it could be worse..
learning how to cope and balance FM is new to me because i was super active just last July...i get sad . like i lost some of my friends..my hobbies.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
(female)

Bettsann HB UserBettsann HB User

Hi Tori,
I feel lucky if I GET 6 hrs of sleep a night... I take some OTC stuff sometimes and then melatonin and L Theanine... its when I wake up after 4AM that I start worrying "am I going to be able to go back to sleep!"... sometimes I'll take a .5 ativan...but I DO NOT want to start mentally relying on that...
I keep the radio on right beside me all night long to distract my thoughts (I have an anxiety thing going on, too)...
I don't want to ask the doc for Rx sleeping pills because some friends of mine have told me some pretty awful tales about taking them. BUT...I've also read and understand that its OK 'not' to get the much talked about 8 hrs sleep.
I tend to agree with you though...that getting more sleep WOULD be good for faster healing... I have always envied people who can NAP, too! I never have been able to unless I'm sick with 'whatever'...like the flu, etc.
Well, here is wishing us luck in that sleepy time area!
Take good care, Tori...sounds to me like you are doing a good job of handling things in the best way you can!!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Oh yes, it's increadably difficult going from active to this... I've had probs for 11 yrs, the derealization & fatigue. Body always felt tired & heavy. But, I got up, had my coffee & by 8am I was running & didn't stop till around 10. But always so tired I felt like if I stopped I couldn't start again. Now with Fibro I can't do much & I over do it. So everyone should know I'm not lazy but these days they treat me like I am.
Anyhow, I know your frustraitions. You are having so change so much of your life... I get so frustraited seeing everything I want to do but can't... Things I'd enjoy doing but don't have the energy...

My Rhum told me the same thing about sleep. I wasn't sleeping well & had a heck of a time getting out of bed.
Im on a muscle relaxer called Flexeril. I take one pill & about 20 mins later I'm out. I sleep really deep but still don't dream very often. Since being on Savella the fatigue has been better. I wake up in the morning & able to get up sooo much easier.
I give my daughter melatonin because she has insomnia & it works well for her. I tried it & it worked the same as the muscle relaxer when it came to falling asleep... But I'd wake up at 1am, 2am, 3am, well you get the point... It was awful... Couldn't sleep very heavy at all. I love the muscle relaxer I sleep well through the night. I'm just really bad at waiting till 11 or midnight before taking it... Then getting up at 6:15... I enjoy that time of night, its my alone time. But I'm gonna have to get over it & go to sleep at a better time. For as long as I could remember, I hated sleeping because I had better things to do... Then the last 13 yrs I always feel just as tired if I got 4 or 8 hours sleep... But finding that sleep is more important than I thought... So 9 hours sounds great to me!

Anyhow, talk to your doctor about going on flexeril. Not only does it help sleep it also helps with pain...

P.s.~ you'll see I talk allot on here... I don't talk much in person so I guess I make up for it here lol
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
Bettsann (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You
I'd have to agree... The one time I took sleeping pills I had an awful headache afterward... But then I had a bad uti that had put me in labor... So that prob didn't help... I really love my muscle relaxer so I guess I'm really partial to that... I do hope you guys will be able to try it! I'd be miserable without it...
I'm still learning how to handle it. It doesn't make it easy when some days are so much worst than others... Days when the flu like feeling is worst, or other days when the pain or fatigue is... Then symptoms that come & go... It's never easy for any of us... One thing I'm still learning it to tell people no... For instance, sometimes I wanna go places with hubby to make him happy, but more often than not its to much & I'm the one paying. But we learn & adapt right

I really hope you can both get good sleep soon! It sounds like you are both really struggling for sleep... Melatonin's great but doesn't seem like its enough...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Last edited by thefarm; 04-16-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Closed Thread