It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
How to do things you used to love?

Seems like all my energy goes into the house, kids & animals. I make myself exercise & put that as a top priority. But growing up I loved crafts, very creative lol I never liked doing what others could do. But most of all I loved to draw. I wanted to be an artist. But when everything hit when I was 18, I lost all interest. I'd crochet sometimes but lost interest. I'd go through phases of making jewelery again. But I can't seem to want to draw like I used to. I keep trying to get back into it but can never concentrait. Doesn't help with kids constantly wanting something. Then all energy goes into more important stuff. Many times ive drawn something my two year old wants to scribble on it. Then if I put my stuff in my room, the cats tear it up. So can't seem to keep them from getting ruined... It's been 13 yrs since I loved to draw. I'm out of practice & know I need to practice. But then I'm saying to myself, why bother...
Are you guys able to do the things you loved?
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: How to do things you used to love?

No I can no longer do some of the things I used to love to do. I used to love to cook, not normal family meals that I make every day complicated recipes but now I forget some of the stages or I can't remember if I put an ingredient in so more often than not it would not turn out right and I would get really frustrated. I also liked painting and decorating the house if I try that now I am in bed for a week, now my husband does it but not the way I want it done( he takes short cuts) and I have to bite my tongue and say nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

anderjam HB Useranderjam HB Useranderjam HB Useranderjam HB User

I know what your feeling.
I lost a few friends because i cant sit and scrapbook with them anymore. On very very rare occasions i will work on a page with digital graphics, or make a couple cards. I cant do photography (used to do baby photography) anymore either.
Anything i think i can do is going to take me 10x longer and cause me pain and some regret, but i feel i need to have some kind of creative outlet!
Do what you feel you can do for the amount of time you have, then pick it back up when the next time arises.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Thank You It sux we can't do this stuff like we used o... Hopefully we'll be able to again...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Well ladies, sometimes you just have to say screw it! and just do the things you'd like. You may be surprised once your mind gets taken over by the craft you're doing the pain might seem to take a back seat and you have a moment of release. My crafts are what help me stay somewhat sane and fend off any depression from not being able to do much of what I used to.

For me it is. I get so involved in my burning or carving time flies and I get very relaxed. Yes I have to pick and choose when I do either one. Doing it while tired or extra sore is not wise. That's when I either ruin it or cut myself.

Many times I plan ahead and take a pain pill or 2 about an hour before and that helps cut the edge enough so I'm able to concentrate. I do that before I walk the dogs too. If I waited for a pain free moment none of it may ever happen.

What I really miss are the things that take stamina and strength. I'd love to take a long hike through the woods on a hilly trail and be able to make it to a waterfall or other reward at the end of the trail. If I took enough pain killers to do that I'd fall asleep putting my hikers on!

Last edited by WoodsWalker; 04-29-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: I don't remember what "for me it is"..Never finished that, so if you are wondering, so am I lol

Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I used to cross stitch all the time and bake. I can't do either. Heck can't even write for more than 5 min without my hand cramping up. Hands are too shaky to make candies and other goodies so now everything is out of the box. I have been thinking about starting up cross-stitching since my mom gave me some things. Figured I can atleast start out a little bit at a time.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
(female)

farmgirl12 HB Userfarmgirl12 HB User

I used to love baking, needle work and lace making but can't do any cause my hands cramp badly. Would love to do thing again. Got my son commingle home from the marines next week so I am going to have to put on a brave face and back before he gets home . Painkillers here I come lol

Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

You all sound so talented. I use to do a lot of things, but I didn't like all of them....giggle! Mostly I just like relaxing and floating off in my imagination and reading books. Just don't seem to have time for that even now in my retirement. Of course we all know retirement for women is a joke right! I still cook, wash, clean, pay bills, make appts. etc. etc.. I just don't have a separate out of the house job to go to as well. One thing I still enjoy and try to do as often as I can is exercise, mostly the treadmill, but exercising is still something I enjoy.

Glojer

Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
(male)

Gstien HB User

I'm not one of the ladies, but...
I have to plan things such as yardwork, housework, etc.
These "projects" have to be done early obviously, either due to the heat outside, or the lack of desire to do them as the day wears on.
I've found what works for me energy wise, and use it sparingly to get these jobs done. Also I don't try to do too much at one time, or I'll end up paying for it later that evening.
What I really love to do, I can't anymore, and that's okay. I was building a car when all this hit, and I don't have the strength to turn the wrenches anymore. So I do what I can, and pay for (when I save up for it) the work I'm unable to do.
As for the other projects at home, if I didn't use something to get me going, I'd never get out of my recliner except to go to work each day.
So what do I use? 2 donuts or a pastry with some sort of icing on it. I prefer donuts because I live 1 mile from a wonderful locally owned store. See, when I was a kid I wasn't allowed to have sugar due to hyperactivity. When whatever I have hit me in 2007, I started using a few donuts to get me going. *I always make sure I put protein in with them such as a protein shake, otherwise you'll burn off the donuts and your muscles will need something to fuel them.
My wife has been very supportive, but she can't cut the yard, or use the lawn equipment, and that leaves me to do it. LOL
You come to accept things over time, for me it's been 4 years.
Yeah there are a few other things around the house I loved doing that I can no longer do because of fatigue and pain, but until I get a diagnosis, I have to accept it, and be thankful for the abilities I still have.

Last edited by Gstien; 06-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

thanks name sis,
you took the words right out of my mouth. giggle. i miss hiking too.
peace,
blue

Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Gstien, welcome to the boards. I love your donut idea. Donuts are my downfall, I really can't eat just one.......Oh how I love them. Putting the protein with it is a great idea. Maybe I should try that. Unfortunately for me sugar saps my energy. The one thing I force myself to have energy for is my grandchildren. It surprises me how they energize me sometimes. Now I am forcing myself to go to the grocery store, that is a job I really dislike.

Glojer

Closed Thread