It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Good Info... may be long but worth it.

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to share this with you all, but haven't been able to get here. Recently I have been having some water retention problems. I'm post menopausal so we won't go in that direction. Anyway this all seem to happen overnight, I would gain pounds of water weight, have trouble sleeping, crave foods and be so lethargic. This would sometimes last a week or more. A good friend suggested I ask my doc for a diuretic. I waited till my scheduled visit and tried to figure out what was causing this. Finally got in to see the doc and described what was happening and ask for a mild diuretic. She said that a diuretic would cause me kidney damage because I don't need it for water retention like people with high blood pressure and things like that. Here is what she explained that I thought would be helpful to some of you.
She explained that people like me who have connective tissue disease (CTD) retain water in the connective tissue, that is why my fingers and hands and feet swell so much. But not my wrists and ankles and arms and legs like people with high blood pressure and those type problems. When given a diuretic to get rid of the water in the connective tissue it only causes kidney damage and doesn't work well. She said to get OTC Guifenesin, not the one with dextromathorphan, just the plain Guifenesin. It is what is found in mucinex or robotussin. I use the generic brand of mucinex. I got it and tried it and she was right it works. It took about two days to start getting all the water out and I took two pills a day. On the third day, I spent most of my time peeing and I was back to normal. I use it occasionally when I wake up and my hands and feet are blown up like balloons. If you have CTD, you know what I mean about the fingers and hands. Yes, you have water weight in the connective tissue in other parts of the body, but my hands and feet are where it is more noticeable on me.

Hope this info helps someone.

Glojer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
janewhite1 (04-30-2012), mom477 (04-30-2012), thefarm (05-01-2012), WoodsWalker (04-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Good Info.....may be long but worth it.

That is really quite interesting. I do get swollen feet and hands, just may give it a try.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

WW, I think something that is so simple to get and would not cause other problems is so easy to try. I am from Missouri and they call us the show me state for a reason....giggle...so I gave it a try and it worked. I'm going to miss that doc, she is leaving the office we go to. She has such valuable info like this and really tries to keep away from over prescribing like some docs.

Glojer

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi glojer,
most interesting info. glad you found something to help your balloon days. makes sense the tissue would surround itself with protective water when it is upset.
the older we get the more we learn and realize how little we know, giggle.
is this something you will add to your daily meds or just when you feel blown up?
how's that baby doing???
peace,
blue

Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Morning Blue, this is just something I will take when I need it, when I have the balloon feeling. Right now am fighting some sinus problems and am using mucinex DM for the congestion....so....I am no ballooning at all.....giggle. That adorable little guy is so precious, I am going over to their house in a few minutes to sit with him while mommy runs carpool to preschool and does some shopping. I volunteered....gotta do that holding and rocking while he is still so little.

Glojer

Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Good Info... may be long but worth it.

Thank You! Great info! I wanna try it!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tori, have you had a chance to try the guifenesin yet. You gotta be all puffed up first....giggle.....I guess. I was swelling last night before bed and didn't have any mucinex upstairs, but I made the trip down to the kitchen to dig in the pantry and get a bottle. I usually don't do the stairs after I take my ambien, just as a precaution. It was well worth it, woke up this morning and no puffy hands and feet. Was going walking with a friend this morning, but we had a storm about 20 min before we were to meet so we canceled. Of course it is bright and almost sunny now.

Glojer

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hi there!
Not yet. I have to do some grocery shopping later & will pick some up. Sooo don't wanna go...
I swell all the time so really wanna see I it helps! I'll let you know. I can't see why it wouldn't..
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey I found a generic mucous relief in my cupboard that has 400 mg of Guaifenesin & took one. Is that enough? How often do you take it?
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

It depends, if I am really puffed up I take one in the morning and one in the evening or at night. That usually works, but if it is real bad, it may take a couple of days. You will know when it works, you will keep running to the bathroom peeing out all that water.

Glojer

Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I bought the actual mucinex yesterday, it's 600 mg I believe. I'm pmsing so may take a little longer before I notice anything but worth a shot!
Yesterday I read about the Guaifenesin Protocol... Have you tried it? Know if it works?
After so many negative tests then diets, herbs, ect & nothing seems to work. So it's hard to believe that this protocol would... But would be interesting to try if people were actually getting results...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tori I have not tried the Guaifenesin protocol but someone on the board has. I can't remember who....maybe Kirstee....just don't remember. Anyway if you put a thread up asking who uses or has tried the Guaifenesin I am sure you will get a response, because she is a regular contributor. I certainly like it for getting rid of the water when I need it.

Glojer

Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You I'll do that!
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread