It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

Artistinneed HB User
Unhappy More Questions, lol

Ok I know I've sufficiently bombarded you guys with questions but I have yet another concern. I have been talking to a couple friends who have revealed to me that they have fibromyalgia...but like I never would have known..and I'm wondering why can they hide their pain but I can't? I'm trying not to judge myself too much but I feel weak that I can't always hide my pain, especially because I'm younger than they are so you'd think I should be able to handle it better.......also sometimes I walk normally but when my back pain starts to spread down to my hips and whatnot I have a really hard time walking and keeping up with my friends.. I know I'm way too young for a cane or something but I"m not sure what to do about this people just stare at me and give me the "what's wrong with that girl?" look and I find it really embarassing

am I just a wimp? or do u think it's just cuz some ppl are affected differently? or maybe they have had thier diagnosis for awhile so they are having more skills to manage pain? some of my friends understand but I feel like some ppl think I'm milking it or something and I'm really not trying to get attention, if anything the attention i get embarasses me and pisses me off because it makes me feel weak... what can I do?

The following user gives a hug of support to Artistinneed:
mom477 (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User
Re: More Questions, lol

everyone is affected differently, and everyone has a different way of dealing with the pain. Noone would know that I have FM, or MCTD. It doesn't make me better or worse just different.

T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Yup every one is different with Fibro. For years I was able to work and deal with the pain but now I can't. Since Jan I have been having tons of issues that are new and really makes it hard for me to stay happy. To see disappointment in my kids faces when I can't play with them hurts more than the pain I feel daily.

If a cane would help you to get around easier than go for it. My legs have been a big issues for me past couple months and I'm gonna be getting a cane. Im only 35. DO things that will make it easier for YOU.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
(female)

Artistinneed HB User

Thanks...I guess it's just that I'm only 25 right so that's pretty young...and I have Borderline Personality Disorder also so I have a really hard time with self judgments and I can't help but keep feeling bad about not being able to hide it when other people can.....I think I either just need to radically accept my situation or try harder to hide it..I just don't understand how to hide it..if I knew how I would

I was hiding it for awhile and kept pushing myself at work and everything but then I started getting in really bad shape and had to quit and since then I haven't been able to keep it from showing.....I don't want people to treat me differently I just want to be their fun loving 25 year old artsy lgbt friend they've always known.. You know what I mean?

Last edited by Artistinneed; 04-30-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There IS a middle ground between "radical" acceptance and totally hiding it, but it took me years to get there. My fibro isn't that bad nowadays, but I do have other chronic conditions that affect me more.

At work, I'm usually able to hide it. (My job is kind of demanding, but flexible in the ways I need it to be.) With friends/family, it's sometimes harder. The trick for me is just to be matter of fact. "I'm sorry, I can't do that right now. You guys go without me." Or, "Huh, my hips really hurt today. That's annoying!" It does help to know that I have other friends with chronic pain or illnesses. They really do GET it.

But I do have bad days, when it feels like no one understands. When I wound up lending my sports equipment to a friend so she could go without me and I could stay home and ice my knee, for example. It's even OK to throw yourself a pity party if you need it, just don't get stuck there.

Closed Thread