It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
Question Fellow sufferer need vitamin advice ?? !!

Hi - my head is spinning looking for certain types of vitamins for several reasons. Been reading on-line - visiting my local health food store (felt they had no idea what they were talking about)...I've had great luck on these boards, so here goes!!!

I am 53 - going thru menopause - just had a bone density test which shows I have osteopenia in 4 sites of my spine and my left hip. I also have fibromyalgia, IBS, SIBO, and had my thyroid removed 6 years ago. I have stomach issues with vitamins, supplements, etc. so I have to be careful what I take. My Vit. D levels were 4 a few years back - I take 5000iu's daily and I am in the low 30 range. I need to start taking calcium but in the past have found it really upsets my stomach. Right now I take Vit. D; Vit E; Vit B6, and B12, Magnesium Oxide which I now hear is not the best absorbed by any means and so my goal here is to find a calcium supplement that won't upset my stomach and is easy to swallow along with a better magnesium supplement.

I read about Coral Calcium ??? And, the different types of magnesium and see they really should be taken together with the Vit. D.

So any help here would be greatly appreciated. I also try to take vegan if possible with as few "additives" as possible. Thank you !! MaryAnn

Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Fellow sufferer need vitamin advice ?? !!

Hi twinkie, welcome to the wacky world of menopause (boy am I glad that's over for me)
Are you taking anything for the meno? Hope if you are it's bio identical, personally I'd stay away from any artificial hormones.

As for Calcium, wish I could help there. I have severe gastric reactions and have tried so many different forms that I've exhausted the whole calcium world. I gave up and just live without any calcium supplements.

For FM I take Magnesium Malate and have had no issues with it. If anything it has helped so much with any gastric problems I get. I slacked off the past 2 weeks and for that time my stomach was a mess. Back to it as of yesterday. It's also good for the muscles. I also take D,B complex,E and i forget what else off the top of my head.

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
Twinkie50 (05-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Twinkie50, Have you tried absorbable calcium in a gel pill or a liquid calcium that includes magnesium. I just take a good old gagging big pill, but I know people who have problems with swallowing pills and use the liquid. I use a liquid B vitamin because the B pills make me nauseated. Try looking up puritans pride and check out their vitamins, a lot to look at.

I agree with WW, bio identical if you need hormones. I am past all that myself. Thank goodness.

Glojer

The following user gives a hug of support to Glojer:
Twinkie50 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker View Post
Hi twinkie, welcome to the wacky world of menopause (boy am I glad that's over for me)
Are you taking anything for the meno? Hope if you are it's bio identical, personally I'd stay away from any artificial hormones.

As for Calcium, wish I could help there. I have severe gastric reactions and have tried so many different forms that I've exhausted the whole calcium world. I gave up and just live without any calcium supplements.

For FM I take Magnesium Malate and have had no issues with it. If anything it has helped so much with any gastric problems I get. I slacked off the past 2 weeks and for that time my stomach was a mess. Back to it as of yesterday. It's also good for the muscles. I also take D,B complex,E and i forget what else off the top of my head.
Hi - I am not taking anything for the menopause - my ob/gyn and my pirmary doctor are against it and thats ok with me. Its mostly the hot flashes that get to me and keep me up at night, but it comes and goes.

Me too with the calcium!! It always bothers my stomach - thanks for the advice on the magnesium. I have read the malate is well absorbed so I will give that a try and maybe try a LOW dose calcium supplement along with it.

Closed Thread