It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
(female)

FibroButBlessed HB UserFibroButBlessed HB User
Fibro Exercises

I have been reading this board for quite awhile, but this is my first post. You have all helped me so much by me seeing your posts, so, first of all thanks.

What types of exercises do you do for your fibromyalgia that help the most? How often do you exercise?

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
Re: Fibro Exercises

Hi, I find swimming the best even on a bad day I can just float around the pool and get some relief. Once a week I go to a hydro pool and the heat in that makes a huge difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to Agenda For This Useful Post:
FibroButBlessed (05-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It varies a lot from person to person. My pain is mostly in my back, so I find that walking helps. Also, especially when I am flaring, I like the "warmup" section of my pilates workout. It's not demanding at all, but it really loosens me up.

Of course, swimming is great, but I hate going to the pool. So I usually rely on other stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I do exercises that I have learned in physical therapy for my legs and thinking about getting light weights for my arms. I never have time to go swimming and walking isn't happening right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to mom477 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
(female)

Cerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB UserCerene HB User

This is a great question! I've been having issues doing my yoga dvd and I can't afford classes. Walking isn't too great because of the weather and my whole neighborhood is on a hill, which isn't good for starting out. Ha ha. I hate pools as well, so any other ideas are great!
Heart Rhythm Issues
Anxiety
Depression
Possible CFS
Possible IBS

Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
(female)

FibroButBlessed HB UserFibroButBlessed HB User

Thank you to all who answered. I have trouble walking for very long, and my IBS is so bad, I am too worried to go to a pool. After doing research, I got a recumbent bicycle after Christmas thinking that would be my answer, but after many, many tries, I just have not been able to use it without suffering so much pain during and after. My knees just scream each time I push on the pedals. I am 58 years old and have been diagnosed since 2002. I know to start exercising slow and to listen to my body, but am not sure where that leaves me.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

No matter what I do it always leaves me very very sore for days on end. I am determined to not let that stop me but I know there'll be days I am in complete misery.

Just do what you can each day. A little is better than none.

The Following User Says Thank You to mom477 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
(female)

bluemoondaisy HB Userbluemoondaisy HB Userbluemoondaisy HB User

About 8 weeks ago I started swimming, thinking it can do no harm to try. Other forms of exercise made me feel horrible but I find as long as I take some relaxation time after I feel great. So now I go regularly, and I find that the usual fibro pain is lessened in water for some reason (may be psychosomatic but if it is great whatever the case) - i also find i feel less depressed afterwards too, i guess because any muscle pain can be put down to actual exercise rather than just being my body sucking :-p My advice - try anything once and see how you feel :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluemoondaisy For This Useful Post:
FibroButBlessed (05-03-2012), janewhite1 (05-03-2012)
Closed Thread