It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Guaifenesin Protocol?

Who had tried the Guaifenesin Protocol? Did it help?
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: Guaifenesin Protocol?

What is it? Never heard of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

You'd have to do a search on it. It's hard to explain & don't think I quite understand it. But I believe they say people with Fibro, their livers don't flush a certain plant enzyme or something like that. So taking the Gauifenesin is supposed to help flush it out & make us feel better... Thats my understanding of it lol but haven't done enough research on it yet...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
mom477 (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Ok will search when Im on the pc later

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
(female)

sylviasix HB User

Hi there!

I have done the Guafenesin protocol. In fact I even flew from Maryland to California to see Dr. St Amand in person. If you think he is a money hungry doc I'll be the first to tell you he is not. He actually takes many insurance policies which is rare for a doctor like this and you don't need to purchase his book because he makes it public information on the internet.

I learned about it from another girl who had fibromyalgia. She was 90% better from it. By the way, Dr. St. Amand believes that fibromyalgia and CFS are the same thing. I agree with him but that's just my opinion. The reason I'm saying this is for people with chronic fatigue who may be also reading this post.

I was thrilled and had to try it. I figured everything out (it can take a while to figure out) and started on it using the Mucinex. Things weren't working out so I saved up some money and flew out to California to confirm that I was doing it right and to get a prescription for the guafenesin that Dr. St. Amand's pharmacy makes (well I'm not sure if it's his pharmacy but it is the pharmacy in the parking lot of his building). I was doing it correctly and was also told to begin a hypoglycemic diet. I have found many Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia doctors recommend high protein diets. I just found out today from a doctor that they believe it helps with your cognitive abilities including memory.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me but I have to say that it has helped so many people. People are doing it from countries all over the world. I think you should give it a try.

I wish you the best of luck! If you have any questions about it please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-08-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You!
I kinda think CFS & FM the same also. The reason is because I dealt with the fatigue, body felt heavy, tired & alittle sore. Always felt "off", just never felt good. Then a variety of little things. It took 11 yrs before a Dr told me it was CFS. Then right after my Rhum diagnosed me with FM. I think he believes CFS is a symptom of FM... But at that point FM pain had set it & flares started. I figure the CFS is a mild form of FM so maybe I had CFS that turned into FM...
I've tried so many supplements, diets, tests, ect over the years that are "supposed" to help but didn't... It's hard to believe the Protocol will help... but worth a try right?
Its my understanding that you start on a low amount & work up to more mg... That when feel worst, that's when you stay at that dose... Is that correct? It sounds like you'll feel worst before it gets better... How long do you do this for?
I agree, I do need to eat mor protein. I'm just not a big meat eater & prefer fruits & veggies.. But I always have meat & veggies made when it comes to dinner... However I don't always eat the meat. I will I it's in a stew or something... I keep telling myself I should eat an egg a day... But even with all the eggs we get from our chickens, I don't care for eggs lol
Anyhow, I appriciate you replying to this! I'm thinking I'll try it but not get my hopes up...
Did the Dr say why it might not have worked for you?
Sorry, can't seem to function today & probly rambling... I'm sure I'll have more questions
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
(female)

sylviasix HB User

Hi again!

Yes you are correct in that you start on a low amount. If you feel worse at that amount then you have found your dose. If not than you go up on your dose and so on until you find the correct dose. If the protocol works for you and think positive because it just might than you stay on it for life. Before you get started make sure you understand it completely.

I never flew back out to California to see why it wasn't working for me but who knows maybe I will give the protocol another try.

Good luck and keep me posted on how your doing!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-12-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

saw this scientific article from a doc at MIT. Interesting info about the various properties of Gauifenison, and as he says, there are side effects.
It did not help me. Can't remember if I was on salicylates back then. For a while I did on a daily basis.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

Was recently reading about problem that CFS and FM have in common, and that is mitochondrial problems. Both at muscle biopsy show "red ragged fibres". What that means, is that after staining they observe these fibres. There is an uneven distribution and some proliferation of mitochondria.

FM patients are low in ATP. ATP is inside the mitochondria of cells.If I get this right, ATP is part of the initial steps to produce Glucose 6. Peolpe describe it as the Battery that charges the action. ATP synthesizes proteins, so you can imagine it's importance. The ATP in normal functioning mitochondria can work its steps a hundred times a second, which is amazing.

It seems to me that I read about disfunctional steps in this process that can lead to excess lactic acid production when something else in the process is missing. I have always felt that FM felt like I had way too much Lactic Acid, and no mechanism to move it out.

I read a case study with a six minute walk by the FM patient producing lactic acid. The author was calling it Adult Onset Mitochondria Myopathy.

I have read at least one article about Mitochondria disfunction in CFS.

Closed Thread