It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

SpicyGirl82 HB User
What can I do besides medicine to relieve the pain?

Hey everyone. What other therapies are out there besides medication to relieve the pain of fibromyalgia? I heard something about a spinal stimulator or something. Is that an option for people with fibromyalgia?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What can I do besides medicine to relieve the pain?

Spinal stimulator isn't used often for fibro, but I use a TENS unit. It cost about $15, and it's the size of a Walkman, complete with wires coming off of it. At the end of the wires are electrodes, and you put the electrodes on your skin and turn on the power. It sends a mild electric charge into the nerves, and it's pretty effective at relieving pain!

I also do a lot of stretching and yoga. I get massage therapy every week I can afford it, and occasionally I go to the doctor for trigger point injections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I also use a Tens. Also use Dremu pain relief , (it's an emu oil based product) on sore muscles and joints and Tiger Balm ultra on spasms. The problem with all these oils and creams is they only work where you put them and you can spend tons of money trying to find the one that works for you. If they do at all. There are lots and lots out there to try.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
(female)

SpicyGirl82 HB User

Thanks everyone for the advice. One thing that I do other than medication to relieve the pain is I take hot showers if I am having a flare up. Unfortunately it seems that hot showers are not as effective as they used to be at relieving the pain.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
(female)

motherm HB User

Try a warm bath with Epsom salts ..it seems to work for me. Esp before bed.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
(female)

SpicyGirl82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherm View Post
Try a warm bath with Epsom salts ..it seems to work for me. Esp before bed.
Unfortunately I can't take a bath as my apartment only has a shower.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
(female)

kissymoomom HB User

I too get injections from my PM dr in my neck, shoulders and back. I use biofreeze cream when I need it. (I put it all over my legs when RLS kicks in at night). I also get massages when I have an all over yucky feeling, feel okay enough to leave the house, and can get someone to watch the kids. Hope this helps!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

you know what? Have you tried voltaren gel?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
(female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User

Voltaren works very well for muscular pain. I like it because it doesn't have an odor and massages in to skin.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Voltaren works for the severe pain of what I am going through called chronic whiplash.
It doesn't help 100% but helps quite a bit. Th iat is why I recommend it.
I don't know if I have fibormyalgia or not, but when I rub it on my neck a lot of the pain over ALL MY BODY gone(not all)but let's say I can FUNCTION.
So it's either all the pain in my body is caused by this horrific neck pain that DOCTOR CANNOT CURE me or other (whiplash exists for years on this earth----what are they good for?). I got to a point I don't want to do anything cause of all this severe neck pain and body pain and then I rub voltaren and can function. Not like before the accident but function.
Nothing like before.
So I believe if you rub not much, some voltaren gel on your neck are(not much)it will help you.
If it helped me, believe me, it will help you.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I wish I had a good answer. I am seeking the perfect one myself. Yoga seems like it may be a good option. Try picking up a started video or you tube one. I am going to give it a try too. Somethings got to give. The voltaren gel isnt' good if you have asthma, so be sure you are ok in that dept. before you try it.

I hope you feel better.

Closed Thread