It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
A combo of things post...

Any of you take Cymbalta and a pain med? I saw a physiasist (yea I spelled that one wrong) yesterday and he said Cymbalta and Tramadol taken together can cause siezures. I looked em up and they both have serotonin in em and too much for the brain can cause stroke, seizure or worse. He said I'd have to be weaned off it cuz if I just stop it could cause a seizure. I asked him what I could take then and he said tylenol or anti-inflammatories. Tylenol doesnt work and cant take antis since I have a stomache ulcer. Not sure what I can take for pain with taking Cymbalta. Maybe this is why my neurologist wouldnt prescribe me pain meds cuz he knew??? My primary gave me the pain meds.

Also I have been finding more and more doctors believe in fibro and know that its real. I was told that testing and MRIs are being done to figure out what exactly is going on in the brain to cause fibro.

I have more to say about other things but am hurting to bad. Hope all are feeling alright

Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
(female)

hmirm HB User
Re: A combo of things post...

I've been taking Cymbalta for a few months. About three wks ago I went up to 120 mg and just recently have been feeling much better pain-wise.

I also take a muscle relaxant (flexeril) when needed, mostly at night to help sleep and use Lidoderm patches on specific muscle knots or painful places. I haven't ever taken pain med and Advil and Tylenol do nothing for me.

I'm feeling really hopeful about Cymbalta helping for pain. I'm exhausted though. Maybe the exhaustion is a side effect that will lessen.

Maybe a higher dose of Cymbalta would help? I hope you feel better soon!

Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I was told pain meds don't help fibro pain. Ive heard oxycontin does but I won't take that. Cymbalta takes the edge off the pain but helps my depression a ton. I tried taking more than 60mg of it but I couldn't handle it. So Im at 60 mg a day. Ive tried 4 different muscle relaxers and they knocked me out hard and I felt hungover on em. Doesnt help having sensitivity to meds. I did see a neurosurgeon last week and he recommends me having physical therapy for my neck, back, hips, and legs and aquatic therapy among other types for 3 months. I see my primary Mon and hopefully I get going on that soon.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I questioned my pharmacist sometime ago about serotonin syndrome and the scripts I am taking (cymbalta,flexeril and tramadol) All listed as a do not mix with warnings about serotonin syndrome. He advised me to not take any of these at the same time. To space out each dose by an hour or so and I shouldn't have any issues. That is what I've been doing for 4 yrs or so and have had no problems.

As for muscle relaxers, have you tried skelaxin? I was taking that as my 1st muscle relaxer because it does not make you drowsy and I had to stay awake at work (the boss frowned on multiple naps thru the day). BUT what it did do was mess with my head after about a year of taking it and made me sort of a nut-job. I was sending things to customers I could swear I had talked to that day. but it did help the spasms lol.

OH, and what is a physiasist?

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
mom477 (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker View Post
I questioned my pharmacist sometime ago about serotonin syndrome and the scripts I am taking (cymbalta,flexeril and tramadol) All listed as a do not mix with warnings about serotonin syndrome. He advised me to not take any of these at the same time. To space out each dose by an hour or so and I shouldn't have any issues. That is what I've been doing for 4 yrs or so and have had no problems.

As for muscle relaxers, have you tried skelaxin? I was taking that as my 1st muscle relaxer because it does not make you drowsy and I had to stay awake at work (the boss frowned on multiple naps thru the day). BUT what it did do was mess with my head after about a year of taking it and made me sort of a nut-job. I was sending things to customers I could swear I had talked to that day. but it did help the spasms lol.

OH, and what is a physiasist?
LOL...I am not sure what it is. I know I put 1 too many s in that word. The P word is a type of doctor. Possibly rehabilitation?? I will google it LOL. And as far as the meds there have been times I took em close together but have also taken em hours apart. Will make sure I do the later. I have not tried skelaxin and that P doc had asked me that. I will look into that.

Thanks

ETA: I looked up what a physiatrist is and its a doc that specializes in medicines and rehabilitation for injuries. All the doc did was ask a bunch of questions and examination and told me some suggestions of what to do. He was gonna send paperwork to my reg doc

Last edited by mom477; 05-19-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Smile Re: A combo of things post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom477 View Post
Any of you take Cymbalta and a pain med? I saw a physiasist (yea I spelled that one wrong) yesterday and he said Cymbalta and Tramadol taken together can cause siezures. I looked em up and they both have serotonin in em and too much for the brain can cause stroke, seizure or worse. He said I'd have to be weaned off it cuz if I just stop it could cause a seizure. I asked him what I could take then a he said tylenol or anti-inflammatories. Tylenol doesnt work and cant take antis since I have a stomache ulcer. Not sure what I can take for pain with taking Cymbalta. Maybe this is why my neurologist wouldnt prescribe me pain meds cuz he knew??? My primary gave me the pain meds.

Also I have been finding more and more doctors believe in fibro and know that its real. I was told that testing and MRIs are being done to figure out what exactly is going on in the brain to cause fibro.

I have more to say about other things but am hurting to bad. Hope all are feeling alright
I also go to a physiatrist. I take Cymbalta (60 mg) and Lyrica (150mg 2x a day) together and the work pretty well for the most part. I take Cymbalta in the morning as it tended to keep me awake at night. I have hydrocodone for days with extra pain. I also exercise and eat healthy which helps a lot. Keep caffeine, sugar, chocolate and alcohol to a minimum. Reduce stress as much as possible and get good sleep.

Closed Thread