It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User
Weaning off cymbalta

Hi,
I have not been here for a few years, but felt the need to come back and share as well as asking for help. I will try to be brief.
I have had fibro for many years and have been on various meds in that time. Over two years ago I was given cymbalta 30mg, which quickly went up to 60mg and then 90mg. The good sides wore off and I was having too many side effects, so my doc said it's time to come off them. I have been weaning off gradually and have now reached week six where I am on my third day of no cymbalta. IT IS LIKE HELL ON EARTH. Let me try to tell you what I am going through. My brain feels like it is broken. if I make any fast or sudden movement my head feels like I have been given an electric jolt. I spin and feel dizzy, almost like vertigo but not vertigo. I have a pain in my head (not migraine) and fel sickly all the time. All this set off a major fibro event.This morning I asked my wife if it could be a brain tumour. Yes, I felt that bad. I am not known for dramatics , but I was very frightened by the way I felt. She did a google search and discovered that allther symptoms I have are experienced by many people in weaning off cymbalta. Every symptom I have was discribed. Now, if you knew me this next bit would amaze you, I cried with relief. Me a sixty year old man and I am crying. Then I read more and found that this is also a symptom of withdrawl, People talked of crying watching silly TV. The horror is that the way I am can, in some cases, go on for months and many people just could not cope and went back on cymbalta. I am determined to stick it out. There was even a man who went through rehab for street drug abuse and was prescribed cymbalta to help with the pain of coming of drugs. He has since tried to get off cymbalta and says it is much harder than getting off his drugs.
I have written this for two reasons. 1: As a warning to others about cymbalta and 2: Has anyone out there any advise or help they can give me as I am in a living hell at the moment.
Please excuse any typos or any lack of clarity. It has taken me over two hours to type this and I just dont have the energy to edit anymore.

To anyone who is still there and remembers me I say a big hi.

Brend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
(male)

Re: Weaning off cymbalta

It's me here again. Somebody please respond. I am in a hell of my own at the moment. Has anybody been through this. I have fate in the board members as I have had lots of support in bygone years.
One think that I am surprised at but I suppose I should not be, all lot of the same issues are on the site now as when I was a sort of regular.

brend

Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I'm sorry you're going thru this. Everything I have read about cymbalta withdrawl is pretty ugly and dread the day I have to get off it. For now it's still working for me. I did go on it knowing about the withdrawal. But like many of us who suffer from FM, I was getting desperate for any type of relief and decided I'd deal with the withdrawal when the time came.

Stick it out, there has to be others who have gone thru this here. I know Tori went thru some withdrawl from cymbalta. Pretty sure she'll give you a reply when she gets on.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
(male)

Unhappy Re: Weaning off cymbalta

Thanks Woodstalker for your support. Yes ugly is a good word to describe the withdrawel. I would love to hear from Tori and anyone else who has gone through this find out if I can do anything to make it easier.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi brend,
i remember you. hi and welcome back. bummer about the meds. never took it so i am useless to you. giggle. just wanted to say i am sending energy for healing.
gee, am i ever glad i said no to that one. sounds horrid. oh and by the by, a man crying at 60 is good if he wants to be openly sensitive. not so good if you are just not that guy. hug your wife for me. i remember her too.
healing hugs and peace,
blue

Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
(male)

Hi blue,

Good to hear from you and of course I remember you. You were really supportive of me when I needed it most. With regard to the crying, I was never any good at it. I had to grow up too fast to allow myself time to cry. However, being over-emotional is another proven withdrawel symptom of Cymbalta. Over-emotional as opposed to depression. I am aware that depression will be a problem if this battle goes on much longer.

WoodsWalker. Just a quick add-on. I too went in Cymbalta knowing there were withdrawel problems. I had preciously come off Effexor and that was awful at the time. I believed it would be similar and was I ever wrong. It gets worse by the day. At the moment any movement of my body results in one of these brain electric zap type things and my brain goes into fall out. I have hit the ground hard twice today and have been bouncing off walls anytime I try to move from one room to another. I am starting to bruise everywhere.

That's my latest update. I will get back tomorrow when I hope I have a better report.

brend

Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi brend, I am new here my husband suffered really bad side effects coming off cymbalta similar to yours. It took two weeks before it levelled out and he felt back in control again. He said never again would he take it. Hope this helps.

Ann

Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
(male)

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your post. Two weeks I can live with. I have been reading horror stories of it lasting months, so this I hope I can do.
I will never aggain take any new meds without fully knowing the side effects and withdrawal problems.
Can I ask you, did your husband's withdrawal finish after two weeks or did it just start to get easier.

brend

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I hope I never have to wean off of Cymbalta. Hope it doesn't last too much longer for you. HUGS!!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

brend, What method did you use to wean off cymbalta? did you do the titrate down where you take some out of each capsule or the every other day thing.
There are days I do think about trying to stop the cymbalta.

Ever since I tried lyrica (another one you can't just stop after a length of time) migraine frequency has increased as well as the intensity and I only tried that for about 11 or 12 days and stopped without any problems due to such a short time and low dose. The head aches continued but not all the time now it's an off and on thing and really wonder if the cymbalta is feeding it.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi brend,

After two weeks it finished for him, back to normal. Here's hoping you will be as lucky.

Ann

Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hi brend,

After two weeks it finished for him, back to normal. Here's hoping you will be as lucky.

Ann

Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
(female)

FibroButBlessed HB UserFibroButBlessed HB User

Brend,
May I ask what side effects made you go off of Cymbalta? I started on 30m., and each time I felt as though it was no longer working, Dr. Upped the dose. I now take 90m. and, once again, am feeling as though the Cymbalta is doing as much for me as tic-tacs would. I don't want my dosage upped again, and was thinking of asking Doc to have me try something else - thus going off Cymbalta. Your post has not only educated me, but has really scared me.

I was started on Cymbalta because, at the time, it was suppose to be the "Fibromyalgia Miracle Drug." I have had Fibro for so long that when I was first diagnosed the medical community mostly still thought of it as a women's thing that was caused by us silly girls and our hypochondria. So, I stupidly and naively went for years not reading about or wanting to know about meds' side effects because of "the power of suggestion" - a Dr. Recommendation, I'll have you know. So.......I have been oblivious to withdrawal symptoms.

To say I am worried is a true understatement!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to FibroButBlessed:
brend (05-24-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #14
(male)

Thumbs down Re: Weaning off cymbalta

Hi all. Sorry for the few days without contact. I changed by email address and updated this in my profile. What followed turned into a farce. Finally sorted out by Administrator today.That's a whole other story.

My update is as follows. On Tuesday I went to see my doc. We had a lengthy consultation. I had typed a full report of my hell with withdrawal and some of the horrors I had discovered about this medication (two A4 pages). He was very clearly upset at my condition and discussed going to A&E. I refused. He suggested going back on the lowest dose of Cymbalta for a few weeks to give my body a chance to recover from the shock it has been given through a "severe chemical reaction to withdrawal" (his words). I said it would be a long day in hell before I would ever take that drug again. One of the sumptoms I was experiencing was erratic blood pressure. He monitered this while I was in the surgery. It started at 198/92 and went up marginally, I think through my being very agitated, before starting to reduce. It was still very high when I left the surgery, but as I had kept a record of the previous 24 hours, the doc was happy to let me leave. I agreed to go on Zanax for one week and he will see me again.

The result of my medical meldown is that he said he will never prescribe this drug again other than for patients who are already using it. He stated that even if only a small number of patients have this reaction ,it is totally unacceptable and dangerous.I have to see him again on Tuesday next.
Zanax has helped. Symptoms are still there but I am "chilled" and feel slightly numbed to them. They do seem to be less severe and blood pressure has levelled out.

WoodsWalker. I weaned off by reducing over a five to six week period. I had not even heard of the method of counting and reducing granules until too late.
It sounds like a better method as it should give the body a better chance to get used to less of the drug. I have heard in recent weeks of people still crashing within about 24 hours without any cymbalta.

FibroButBlessed. I do not normally read the insert leaflet with meds as I am fearful of getting side affects and wondering if it real or phycosematic (please forgive my spelling). Two months ago I did read the leaflet and was astonished to see how many of the listed side affects I had. I, with the help of my wife, used a highlighter pen to mark all relating to me. I would be here forever if I went through all of them and many of them are also symptoms of Fibro. This I presented to my doc to clarify if this was normal. He immediately started me on a weaning off process. He said a lot of the symptoms could be fibro related but not all. He also stated the obvious when he pointed out that even if many of my symptoms are Fibro related, that means the cymbalta is not working. One major symptom was my total lack of interested in a sex life. Worse was even I did muster up interest, I could not perform. My God, I am embarressed and blushing just at the idea of sharing this info. Anyway, all is well in that department. Limited but getting my mojo back. Am I glad I am alone at this moment. the blushing has spread from my face and down my neck. Let's move away from this.

Have any of you found any help from alternative medicines to help with withdrawal.

I will report further after my visit to doc on Tuesday.

brend

Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hi Brend,
I wish I would have seen your post sooner!
Cymbolta was a nightmare to go off of. I went off quicker than you though, but don't regret it because having it out of my system faster saved me from withdrawals lasting longer...
It's been awhile so I don't remember the dose I was at. But I did get smaller mg pills from my Rhum. At first I went to the smaller dose daily, then every other day & then not at all. This lasted atleast a week but I don't think much longer. I remember the shooting pains in my head, the fibro migraine headache, dizzieness, extremely lethargic, incredible all body pain. I'm also one to throw up 95% of the time when I'm in a bad flare. I remember during that time going off cymbolta, I was sick about 4 days. Actually the 4th day was the worst. Extremelly sick, dehydrated. I really should have went to the ER but I'm really stuborn & as usual said I will go the next day if it's still that bad. I actually started keeping stuff down & started getting better. I know that I had the bad withdrawals for about a week. I think it just took time to recoupe after that... So one your withdrawals are better, fibro will continue to kick you down. You will have to rest.
I remember starting Nuerontin after going a few days with no Cymbolta. That helped allot. I'm on Savella now. Other than sweating allot it has worked the best for me. Cymbolta & Nuerontin made fatigue worst for me which is something I just can't do when it's so bad already. Also, I've weined off Nuerontin & Lyrica also & don't even remember withdrawals from them. If there was it was so minor compared to Cymbolta it was a piece of cake! Lol
If you haven't taken Cymbolta for a few days, you can now start on a new med & that really will help
I drink Poweraid (zero calorie kind) & that really helps me keep hydrated. I think it's helped with keeping me from getting sick. It has alitle sodium but also magnesium, calcium & vitamin B. I was drinking gingerale when sick & this is so much better!
Anyhow, I really hope you are feeling better! Also, welcome back to the board!!! I've only been on here 2 1/2 yrs & I believe you were here before that. But I look forward to seeing you around! I'm sure there is sooo much you can contribute to the board
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Closed Thread