It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

tam090 HB Usertam090 HB User
Symtoms familiar? Positive ANA, stabbing calf pain?

Symptoms familiar? Positive ANA stabbing calf pain?
1. My calves feel like an ice pick is stabbing them when I take a step. Throb when I am not walking or standing.
2. Charlie horse type cramps my calves, feet, lower back, under my breast. Comes and goes, as many as 10 times a day last for 1 to 10 min. each
3. Sharp pains shooting down my forearm and down legs.
4. Joint pain & weakness especially in the morning
5. Hand and foot tingling and numbness
6. Hands are stiff and ache and I have no hand strength.
7. Extremely fatigued. Not sure how I am getting through the day.
8. I have tender spots all through out my body. Like I am bruised. Front side of body and back.. doctor has not confirmed the spots I hurt our Fibro.
9. Insomnia

Meds make me feel out of sorts too.

My ANA test came back Positive 1:32 hemg. The other tests came back fine. Rh normal, no lupus, no RA, but I am in so much pain. PCP put me on Balcofen, diclofenac, flexiril. Started taking presidone and have had a couple of days where the pain just disappeared (that was on the 4 a day 10 mg) dropped dossage to 3 a day and pain has come back.

My rheum appointment isn't until next month. But, I have had 20 or more different blood tests to pin point the problem but and it shows nothing other than the high ana titer.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Symtoms familiar? Positive ANA, stabbing calf pain?

Hi tkparker welcome to the boards. Some of your symptoms sound very familiar. You may have more than one problem going on. That is unfortunately what happens many times with fibro, all of our symptoms get lumped under that umbrella and many things go undiagnosed and untreated.
I also had a positive ANA test and high titers and a dsdna for lupus. However, my lupus symptoms go right up to the line and never cross over into internal organ damage so the rhuemy prefers to keep my diagnosis as connective tissue disease. Which works for me as long as he treats my joint pain. Some suggestions I can make is to see a good endocrinologist and have your thyroid checked. A good one will check your anti thyroid antibodies as well as TSH and Free T4 and T3 and treat accordingly. I suggest this because when treated for my hypothyroid my ANA went to normal. My PCP doc just looked at the numbers on the bloodwork and said I was NOT hypothyroid at 4.9 in a range that topped out at 5.0. When seeing an endo they top their range usually at 3.0. After years of working with my thyroid I now know that I feel best at below 1.0. The weakness, the charlies horse and cramps and some of the joint pain can be attributed to hypothyroid symptoms. Oh, and also the fatigue!
My joint pain does not disappear with proper thyroid treatment, but it does help and I can take a low dose of prednisone and ibuprofen to control the discomfort. I also have the morning stiffness and joint pain and that does not disappear with thyroid either.
Just a few suggestions, I hope they help. Just don't let the docs lump all your problems together and give you an anti depressant or a generalized pain pill. You could have separate issues here. By the way I also take baclofen and I used to take diclofenac, but replaced it with ibuprofen. I can get a huge bottle of that at the local discount store and then I don't have to hassle with the insurance company. They try to force us to order all our meds from them and that is the biggest fiasco ever.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you for responding. I checked my TSH and it is at 2.61. I have always felt I had thyroid problems and have had it checked every time.. but it is always within that range. I will bring it up and see if I can get the more detailed test when I go in. I am desperate now.. I feel like my life has been put on hold. Everyone is living and I only get to watch. I am only 43... with a 6 year old. I have too much to do to be sick all the time. I don't even like people asking me how I am feeling... the truth is they don't want to hear me say horrible... and I don't want to say it. Easier to lie and say fine.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

tk, you made me smile with that I tell people I'm fine. So many of us fibromights do. Like you said, nobody wants to hear us complain. About your TSH, 2.61 to my endo would be borderline high. She doesn't like most of her patients to be over 2.50. Again like I said I feel better under 1.0. My TSH was 1.94 when it was checked 6wks ago and I was so tired all the time with no energy. My joints were hurting more, I was cold all the time. Just did not want to get out of bed, it felt so good just to lay there warm under the covers. And yes when I would force myself up, I was definitely stiff and walking like a duck....giggle! Even though my TSH was within my endos parameters I ask her to increase my thyroid meds explaining to her why. She agreed and I am not as tired now, have no problem getting up in the morning. I'm not wearing a sweater every where I go....giggle....that is progress. My joints still hurt, but I feel better equipped to deal with it. Anyway I know you said you will have it checked out, but I just wanted to encourage you to push the issue. I could not get my fibro under control without first having my thyroid under control. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Glojer

Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome to the boards. looks like glojer is helping you out. i'm like her with thyroid. under 2 works for me. please ask your doc to test for sjogrens disease also. it causes a pos. ANA and symptomatically is much like thyroid and fibro so it gets passed over easily. it's not one of the normal tests a rheumy does.
thanks glojer. we have a new tk! giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

I am certainly going to check into it. I had additional labs done but they didn't provide me with copies or anything in writing. I am having the original doctor that did the first set of labs request a copy. I had them done in Feb. & more again this month in May. Just to vent... The meds I am on not helping me for pain or anything... asking for something else stronger.. they are saying they have to wait until they know more, but it will be weeks before they can get me in. I swear they treat me as if I am some pill hound wanting to get high. It makes me so mad I want to scream. I wish and I mean quit literally, they could "stand and walk" with my feet and legs and body. Because they would NOT be treating me the way they are! You can be in pain without physically seeing an injury! And an additional point, you can not drink to ease the pain when you are taking meds either (not that I really wanted to, I have a 6 year old, but beside the point).... It is total suffering! Okay, I feel better.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

glad you got it out. giggle. go to wherever you had your labs and get your own copies. you just sign a paper and prove who you are. tell them the copies are to show other doctors. that way you should not have to pay for the copies. i have a standing order i sign each year where i have blood done. i call ahead and go get my copies 2 to 7 days after depending on what was done.
you have to take control. waiting on doctors is a waste of time and a pain in the fanny. i agree drinking is not a good idea. with fibro it can really cause more pain. it sucks oxygen from the tissues of our bodies and that hurts. giggle.
you are only a pill seeker if you see yourself that way. if you refuse to feel that way they will see it in your behaviour and hear it in your practical tone of voice. i have a variety of meds for pain and relaxing muscles. my doctor knows i require different meds for different levels of discomfort. she knows that because i told her. why take a strong drug if a mild one will do today. why undermedicate on a difficult day, it just drives up my blood pressure and that's counter productive. get my drift? presentation and showing a strong educated persona makes a world of difference. don't take no for an answer when it comes to your body. you know it best. be your own advocate and never, never roll over for any doctor. you pay them. just like a plummer or any other service person. you can also fire them. i love doing that when i find a jerk. empowering. work to find a new one, always worth it.
peace,
blue

Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well said Blue. And yes we have another tk.....giggle. And speaking of you tk, venting is perfectly alright here. We all understand that sometimes you just have to get it all out and there is no better place than this fibro board.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

I have several of the symptoms. I'm wondering, what is ANA?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi sandi, I just have a minute, but ANA is anti nucleur antibodies. It is a blood test to determine if there is something auto immune or inflammatory going on in your body. Sorry I am in a hurry, but google it. Others here will I'm sure have more time and better answers than me.

Glojer

Closed Thread