It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
ANA test was negative

ANA tests seem to be talked about alot. I had that test when my doc was testing for RA. It came out negative. So if I had anything it would have came out positive right? Or do you gotta test for things seperately.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: sorry if off topic

Unless it is something new, there is no test for Fibromyalgia. Tests are done to rule out other things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Oh I know there's no test for fibro. I was just asking if when ANA test is done for 1 thing and it's negative if you have a autoimmune thing would it show positive? Like when ANA is done does it cover everything that is included with a ANA test? Or do they have test every ANA thing individually.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
ANA tells us there is a problem somewere. if it is negative, you are one lucky girl, so celebrate! a pos. result tells us more tests are needed to find the specific source.
hope that helps you understand. now go throw yourself a party girl!!
peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 05-25-2012 at 07:23 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
mom477 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Blue is correct about neg and positive ANA. I would like to just add, that your ANA can be positive one time and negative the next and vice versa. Also they use to do an ANA test with titers, which would tell you what you tested more positive for, like lupus or scleroderma etc. I don't know if they test in titers anymore. My rheumy doesn't, it is some other test that is suppose to be more accurate. Of course once they test in titers I guess they don't need that specific of info again.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ok thanks. I was kinda wondering about sjorgrens since my skin is really really dry and my mouth is as well. My doc tested me for arthritis by doing ANA and it came out negative. Liver and kidneys are good as well. I just wasn't sure if when they tested the ANA if its for everything. I am glad it was negative.

Thank you Glojer and Blue for explaining it clearer for me

Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
were you tested for sjogrens? i suggest you do it no matter what your ANA was. symtoms are enough reason to tell your doc to order the blood test. notice i said "tell" not "ask". tell your doc you want it for your peace of mind. works every time for me. giggle.
party in peace,
blue

Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Re: ANA test was negative

No I wasn't tested for it. The other post bout a poster talking bout their positive ANA had me questioning bout if I should still be tested or if I had it ANA would be positive. But for peace of mind think I will bring it up. I just can't shake the gut feeling that something else is going on and you know that we know our own body better than anyone else

Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

mom477, you are correct about knowing our own bodies. I have a history of scleroderma in my family. After years of positive and negative ANA and increased joint pain, I ask my rheumy to test more specific for scleroderma. He did it without question, and it came back negative. Now that is eliminated. When the symptoms are there, it never hurts to eliminate a cause and then you can move on.

Glojer

Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

hi,
forgot to say dry mouth and skin are symptoms of sjogrens. it's a simple blood test. hope you get it done. always nice to hear nope, you do not that one. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

Hi. I am always ANA positive. The titer was 1:80. That means how many times they dilute the serum before it doesn't show up. 1:20 = 20 times, then they double the dilution, that would be 1:40, double again it's 1:80.

opinions vary as to what a normal range. Opinions vary as to what percentage of positive results are "false".

Did you get a SED Rate or ESR? That shows inflammation. When you have inflammation, the sticky proteins stick together, so they are heavier and fall as sediment to the bottom of the tube, so the rate is how much falls the first hour.

With decades of positive ANA, and very dry eyes and mouth, I did a lip biopsy for sjogrens, and it did not show damage to the tissue, so that was ruled out. The testbwas done after a neg. Blood result.

Your meds can also be responsible for your dryness. or you could be like me. Even before meds I began the dryness. try not to worry overly much about the myriad weird symptoms, but be logical about what ought o be attended to by a doctor. You can't necessarily assume "it's all the fibro", so some people do bi-annual testings who are older. I have an annual physical.

3 doctor's ignored my weakness complaints, and I finally made an appointment with someone else in my PCP's group, and she sent me for tests that gave me an answer. Not a happy answer, but better than wondering about it longer and longer.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Thanks . I am not worrying too much at all. When they ran a full blood count and etc the only thing that came out bad was my bad cholestral was 14% higher than normal. The past few years I get dehydrated easily and need a trip to the er for iv fluids. I think I'm gonna get a copy of my tests this week when I see my doc

Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Getting a copy of your tests is always a good idea. I have been doing it for years. That's how I've learned how to manage my own health. I use to not get copies and my doc would say everything looks fine. It did to him, because he thought I was just a female and needed a vallium. But when I started getting my test results and checking things out......let's just say.....I saw a different doc. And now I have a whole team I work with.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

You got that right . My doc showed me my results. I like having copies of everything for my own records.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Rhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB UserRhaquel HB User

At the risk of sounding like the cheerleader for hypothyroidism, I'm going to suggest you read the symptom list for hypothyroidism. That can cause elevations in cholesterol.

According to Dr. Lowe (has book and experience on fibro), 90% of fibro patients are hypothroid. It's not a condition to be ignored, since it rules cellular metabolism. Can't have energy without it. VERY important if you have it to understand it, and not trust your dr. to be up on it. Unless that doc is recommended by patients who understand free T3, reverse T3, etc.

Closed Thread